Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
elcome aboard
Webkinz :)

COONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicness
COONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicnessCOONYCOON is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Writing "hmmm" in posts?

Funny, but whenever I come across that hmmm, it always brings a smile to my face. I can just imagine the person pondering. Studies have shown that e-mails and text messages in general are often misunderstood (irony most often) because people don't have the visual body language clues to make the meaning less ambiguous. Smileys are a good way round this and little things like hmmm or using * * are in fact invaluable tools in getting meaning across in a "textual" conversation. Luckily, though, we don't see many ums....
COONYCOON is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
~2 Days Til ~ Disney
Banned
mom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicness
mom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicnessmom w charm is epic beyond epicness

Seeing hmmmmmm in a post makes me visualize thy are talking to me & thinking real hard , Some People use it & others dont .
mom w charm is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #33
I Rocks!!
Gift Guru

Jennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the rep
Jennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the rep

Technically it's a valid interjection. From the Wiktionary:

Interjection
hmm
  1. Indicating thinking or pondering. Hmm... that's an interesting idea.Hmm... I just can't decide between the two.Hmm... I wonder what's for dinner.
And dictionary.com:
–interjection (used typically to express thoughtful absorption, hesitation, doubt, or perplexity.)
Jennielou is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #34
I'm movin' on ♥
Webkinz :)

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

I like to think that after I say it, you will all believe I have my 'Sherlock Holmes' moment, and I just typed the most brilliant post in the history of the world.
For example:
Hmmm....I've got it! You need to clear your cache!!
Desty is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #35
ʎʞɔɐʍ ɐp sı ɯoɯɹǝʞɔo
Gift Guru

rockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a hero
rockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a herorockermom was born a hero

WI Subscriber

I Guess in a conversation IT makes us all seem a little more "real" to each other.

Little things like a "Hmmm" Makes the conversation flow more like a conversation.

and less like a cyber image of a person on the other end of the Thread.
rockermom is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #36
Gift Guru
samoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellence
samoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellencesamoyeds43 is the epitome of excellence

Good point, rockermom! I say hmmm a lot sometimes because I like to think aloud (or rather on the computer), and it makes the posts more real.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #37
Hmm
Eliphalet
Gift Guru

Hmm is an unparalleled talent
Hmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talentHmm is an unparalleled talent

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
I like to think that after I say it, you will all believe I have my 'Sherlock Holmes' moment, and I just typed the most brilliant post in the history of the world.
For example:
Hmmm....I've got it! You need to clear your cache!!
That's it! I chose my username to show how brilliant I am at ALL TIMES.

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Actually, the letters Hmm are my initials. But if you want to believe that I am brilliant, I will let you.

-- Hmm
Hmm is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #38
anna decorate?
Gifted

Symphonie wears the mantle of perfection with graceSymphonie wears the mantle of perfection with graceSymphonie wears the mantle of perfection with graceSymphonie wears the mantle of perfection with graceSymphonie wears the mantle of perfection with graceSymphonie wears the mantle of perfection with graceSymphonie wears the mantle of perfection with grace

View Post Originally Posted by florida
I use "hmmmm" to convey that I am not quite convinced about something, such as "hmmmm, what you suggest is possible"
I use "hmmm" in a post or email the same way as florida, to convey a sence of indecisiveness; to convey that I am leaning towards choice -A- but I am not 100% on it.

I also COMPLETELY agree with both Tula and Zooz in their annoyance with the current misuse of the word "like". What really aggrivates me is that a girl/lady (whatever) 8 yrs younger than was just moved across the country to be our new district manager where I work, so you'd think that somebody with such an important role would have good grammar - nope! She was in our store a couple of days ago and was constantly using "like". Its "like" a rash or something! GAH!!
Symphonie is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #39
Gifted

wowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a hero
wowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a hero

View Post Originally Posted by AnthonysMommy
Sometimes I actually am saying hmmm to myself as I type. It helps me get my thoughts together just like when I'm speaking out loud.
View Post Originally Posted by Dixiecup
I do that because it adds an element of 'humanity' to the thread. It is not just a machine typing out a phrase, answer or question. There are times that I do have those 'Hmm ' Moments. I also use the because that is the closest to 'Thinking or think' about it.
Guess this one might work better Click the image to open in full size.
View Post Originally Posted by WishAponAStar
I think it gives the post life, and makes it more interesting to read. Sometimes, it helps the flow of the worlds; and sometimes, it adds a feeling of hesitation. "Hmm" is kinda like well, or umm.
For instance, what if I started this post as:
"Hmm, I think it gives the post life."
I think it conveys a message of " I'm not really sure but thinking hard"
I agree with these posts . I also use it as a replacement for 'interesting'.

Instead of taking a while to think about their post, sometimes DCTers just stick it in there and ponder over their answer while they continue chatting.
wowewe is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #40
ait fest, yawn
Gift Guru

AgtPix knows the way
AgtPix knows the way

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by WishAponAStar
I think it gives the post life, and makes it more interesting to read. Sometimes, it helps the flow of the worlds; and sometimes, it adds a feeling of hesitation. "Hmm" is kinda like well, or umm.
For instance, what if I started this post as:
"Hmm, I think it gives the post life."
I think it conveys a message of " I'm not really sure but thinking hard"
i agree with you.
I put hmmm, or Hmph, or Psssht...when i type all the time.
And I guess that is because when I am typing my brain is saying the words as i type them in,...and sometimes when I am in the heat of the moment, I add in sound effects

call me crazy
AgtPix is offline Female
Closed

Tags
hmm