Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #21
soebled2
Gift Guru

lamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guide

Default Re: Writing "hmmm" in posts?

View Post Originally Posted by Tula
A forum is a place for real life communication in the form of words. Its no different than saying LOL or ROFLOL and everyone does that. Computer language is something that all of us use. Its not really about perfect word usage, its about a language developed for use in informal forum settings to bring life and emotion to a faceless society. Part of the reason computer language was developed was to shorten what we type to make it easier. When you talk you are not having to type out your thoughts and words at the same time. In a forum you have to type everything. LOL is a lot easier to write than laughing out loud. Hmmm is a lot easier to write than , "let me think." Its useful and helpful to have a way to communicate things without typing a lot of words to do so.
True, but that still doesn't change the fact I don't like it I also encourage my kids to not say it in real life when they are searching for a word or an answer. Ever talk to someone who is constantly going, um, in between everything they say? Not as easy to listen to as it is silences in between thoughts. I'm all for the other things that give more emotion and humanity to forum posts, but hmmm, to me is, I can't believe you just typed a post saying you don't know yet or are hesitant when you could have just waited to answer when you were. But that's just me
lamb is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
Gift Guru

AnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellence
AnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellence

Donation Award 

Well everyone has their little idiosyncrasies when they speak. Just something you have to deal with online and in person every day. You can't tell people how to speak and I personally like the diversity we have here!
AnthonysMommy is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
Whooo hooo
Gift Guru

Tula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clown

View Post Originally Posted by lamb
True, but that still doesn't change the fact I don't like it I also encourage my kids to not say it in real life when they are searching for a word or an answer. Ever talk to someone who is constantly going, um, in between everything they say? Not as easy to listen to as it is silences in between thoughts. I'm all for the other things that give more emotion and humanity to forum posts, but hmmm, to me is, I can't believe you just typed a post saying you don't know yet or are hesitant when you could have just waited to answer when you were. But that's just me
You know what gets me is not so much hmmmm but when people use the word, "like." You will hear people say in one sentence the word "like" 5 times. Example, "its like my friend was like telling me this story and like I was...." now that drives me crazy. So I understand...for you its hmmmm for me its "like." LOL I will have to admit though that this is something I don't see typed on forums as much as spoken...

Last edited by Tula; 01-15-2010 at 10:51 AM..
Tula is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #24
I Rocks!!
Gift Guru

Jennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the rep
Jennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the rep

I'm very picky about grammar and text speak, etc..but using Hmmm at the end of a thought I don't find a big deal and use it all the time. Not so much to voice out loud that I'm thinking about something or can't find words, but more to convey "something to think about".
"Not sure how I feel about that new pet...Hmmm..." It's an expression, not an "I can't think of what to say".
Jennielou is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
Dave Matthews Band
Webkinz :)

CrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by Tula
A forum is a place for real life communication in the form of words. Its no different than saying LOL or ROFLOL and everyone does that. Computer language is something that all of us use. Its not really about perfect word usage, its about a language developed for use in informal forum settings to bring life and emotion to a faceless society. Part of the reason computer language was developed was to shorten what we type to make it easier. When you talk you are not having to type out your thoughts and words at the same time. In a forum you have to type everything. LOL is a lot easier to write than laughing out loud. Hmmm is a lot easier to write than , "let me think." Its useful and helpful to have a way to communicate things without typing a lot of words to do so.
I agree completely. It is just a shortened way of "let me think." We don't all have to be using perfect English on here. It's just a website. Now I would never put "hmm" when I'm taking a college test and thinking about the answer, but considering that this is a fun website it's perfectly fine. It is just something that helps sometimes, because no one likes awkward silences, right? It's what most of us use when we're thinking. Especially when I'm trading on webkinz. Most people think that I'm not there and quit, unless I say something to fill in the blanks. If I have nothing important to say, there is no point in blabbing on about anything. Just to make sure that they know that you are there.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #26
The Beatles
Gifted

Zooz is sweet stuff
Zooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuff

View Post Originally Posted by lamb
Ever talk to someone who is constantly going, um, in between everything they say?
Well, like, I really know what you mean! Like, when I'm listening to my daughter tell a story, she'll like, pepper the conversation with a word like "like", and I'll like start focusing on the numer of times she'll like say "like" and pretty soon she'll ask me if I agree, and I'll be like, "I have no idea! But you used the word "like" 8 times in one sentence!"
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
mirandaxoxo

View Post Originally Posted by Hmm
I write Hmm in my posts when I sign them.

-- Hmm
XDD
Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #28
soebled2
Gift Guru

lamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guide

View Post Originally Posted by AnthonysMommy
Well everyone has their little idiosyncrasies when they speak. Just something you have to deal with online and in person every day. You can't tell people how to speak and I personally like the diversity we have here!
Nope, I'm certainly not telling people how to speak, just expressing one perspective on how "hmmm" is perceived.

View Post Originally Posted by Jennielou
I'm very picky about grammar and text speak, etc..but using Hmmm at the end of a thought I don't find a big deal and use it all the time. Not so much to voice out loud that I'm thinking about something or can't find words, but more to convey "something to think about".
"Not sure how I feel about that new pet...Hmmm..." It's an expression, not an "I can't think of what to say".
Yes, I see what you mean. I just think one pro to a message board is that you do have a moment to think and to compose proper sentences so I would tend to write. I'm not really sure yet how I feel about that pet. But again, just me who has not grown up with the texting and short forming, etc.

Last edited by lamb; 01-15-2010 at 11:01 AM..
lamb is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #29
Call me Carly (:
Webkinz :)

tinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talenttinybluesmiley has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by WishAponAStar
I think it gives the post life, and makes it more interesting to read. Sometimes, it helps the flow of the worlds; and sometimes, it adds a feeling of hesitation. "Hmm" is kinda like well, or umm.
For instance, what if I started this post as:
"Hmm, I think it gives the post life."
I think it conveys a message of " I'm not really sure but thinking hard"
Exactly. Like, in other situations, such as the Doug tracking thread, I'll write "*searching for Doug*" or something just for the fun of it. xD
tinybluesmiley is offline Female
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
Call me Stella
Gift Guru

stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!stelladora is not just visiting!

It makes the post seem more real. It makes it sound as if you are actually talking to the members, instead of just posting on a forum. I always say "Hmmm" because it shows the reader that I thought about my response for a bit. I also use "...." alot because people use pauses when they speak as well. This is all just my opinion though, no one has to use the phrase "Hmmm"
stelladora is offline Female
Closed

Tags
hmm