Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Webkinz :)

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

Exclamation Would GT Rejection Notices Hellp?

Just an thought, but could moderator feedback be increased?

Two examples:
  • When a thread is closed, perhaps a closing post could be created along the lines of:
"Your Participation in WI Forum disscussions is very much appreciated, unforunately this thread violates WI Rorum Rules for 'No Trade Talk and has been closed'
OR
"This thread has been closed as their has been no activity for 14 days."
  • When an application to become 'Gifted' is rejected, perhaps a PM could be sent along lines of:
"I am sorry, your application has been rejected. We reviewed your posts and many of your posts did not meet the requirements for good posts. Please read the guidelines <Provide Link>. You may reapply in 2 months once you have completed 50 new good posts."
In the case of threads [CLOSEED] for 'minor' violations of site rules (reason that I say minor is that those guilty of 'Major Violations' are removed) I feeel that these closing comments would help teach all of us by example how to write better posts. Without knowing the reasong for a thread being closed alll it does is leave a sense of 'Huh, why was this closed?' and in the case of the person who created the post it may stifle future contributions.

I realize that this would create extra work for already overworked Moderators, but by helping to teach members to make better posts over time this should actually decrease the number of posts which require 'moderating'. Also, consideriing that much of the feedback would be repititious, the work could be reduced significantly if site administrartors developed a set of 'form letter' responses.

I really think that this would add to the 'friendlyness' of WI.

< UPDATE>

This thread was originally called 'Better Moderator Feedback!' but was renamed in light of the direction it has taken.

Please keep 'future' posts on this thread to discussion of GT application feedback. In particular, the merits of providing 'failed applicants' with a form letter response along the lines of the following (where the only 'feedback' from the moderator reviewing the application would be an [X] in the corresponding box(es)):
"We are sorry, but your appication for the GE has been rejected because:

[ X ] Certain posts were Rude and/or Offensive.

[ _ ] Do not have 50 non fluff posts

[ _ ] Non fluff posts were not in appropriate forums (e.g. Look What I Got)

[ _ ] Unwillingness to work with moderators.

[ _ ] No demonstration of willingness to help others.

[ _ ] No slots available in the TGE

Once you at least two weeks have passed AND you have made 50 additional non fluff posts AND any concerns identified above have been addressed you wll be elegable to reapply."
Discussion on this thread of <Closed Thread> feedback has come to a natural conclusion summed up as follows:
Although their use to be a mechanism in place which provided basic feedback Moderators closed threads, unfortunately the related overhead was slowing the entire site down so this function had to be removed.

Without this 'mechanism' which made the feedback process simple for Moderators, the additional workload which would be created by 'forcing' a manual closing post explaining the reason would be overwhelming especially considering that most posts are simply closed due to the discussion running it's natural course.

A number of Moderators indicating that WHEN THEY HAVE TIME they do try to add closing comment when the reason for closing a thread may be unclear. Similarily they do try to send PMs when to help educate members when they notice 'major' violations or repeated 'minor' violations.

In addition when a post is modified a 'last modified by' note is added to the bottom of the post which includes a brief note which may explain the reason for the change. If you are unclear as to why an action was taken simply PM the Moderator.
Don't forget that acting as a Moderator is an often thankless job, on this site the Moderators are all volunteer positions, and without their hard work this site would quickly become an unrulely mess. PLEASE, BE RESPECTFULL OF THIS AND DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A MODERATOR BASHING FORUM.

Last edited by JustDad; 02-23-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Updated with Thread Summary
JustDad is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Well, look I'm
Gifted

sweettee11 has much to be proud ofsweettee11 has much to be proud ofsweettee11 has much to be proud ofsweettee11 has much to be proud ofsweettee11 has much to be proud of

Default Re: Better Moderatpr Feedback!

I actually agree. Sometimes, threads get closed with no warning and no reason why.
sweettee11 is offline Female
Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
webkinz_forever

For the 14 days one - no, that just doesn't work. Sorry, it'd be a waste of posts.
The others would work, I guess. (:
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #4

ChesapekeBai is on a distinguished road

Well, i agree for the most part. I don't like the 14 day thing.
ChesapekeBai is offline Female
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #5

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

View Post Originally Posted by ChesapekeBai
Well, i agree for the most part. I don't like the 14 day thing.
My '14 day Inactivity' feedback example was NOT a suggested rule change. I used this as an example after recalling that when I was researching for another thread I created (ULTIMATE Guide to Earning KC - Rev 1.0) that most posts older than about 14 days happened to be [CLOSED] although this was not always the case.

In some ways the '14 day' assumption ephasizes the confusion over the reason why moderators choose to close certain threads.

Sorry for any confusion.
JustDad is offline Male
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
wolfyclub

Wolfyclub knows the way
Wolfyclub knows the wayWolfyclub knows the way

Great idea! Want me to flag it to show a staff member?
Wolfyclub is offline Female
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
eAreYoung
Gifted

DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!DIBS is not just visiting!

It could. I mean, I like the idea of the message when you get rejected from applying to becoming ''Gifted''. I applied several months ago, and got no response and so I don't know where I stand.
DIBS is offline Male
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
ait fest, yawn
Gift Guru

AgtPix knows the way
AgtPix knows the way

Donation Award 

just an fyi, threads close automatically after 10 or so days if there is no activity. Except for House threads and possibly some others, so it isn't personal when they close. There is no dictation there

I do agree with a bit more communication at times - Like for instance a lot of the times my threads are moved and no one tells me why or when they did it.
And sometimes i see mods notifying members their threads are moved..so there is no consistency with that.

In their defense though, i am sure the have a lot on their plate, maybe they just don't have time to notify everyone. Especially with Gift Applicants.

Last edited by AgtPix; 02-17-2010 at 11:16 AM..
AgtPix is offline Female
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #9

View Post Originally Posted by AgtPix
just an fyi, threads close automatically after 10 or so days if there is no activity. It isn't personal
If threads are automatically closed after '10 days' it must be triggered by something other than 'date last post added'.... perhaps days since last accessed (i.e. read by someone). However, it should be farily easy to modify the script which closes the thread to add a clsoing post "Closed - No activity for 10 days'.

View Post Originally Posted by AgtPix
In their defense though, i am sure the have a lot on their plate, maybe they just don't have time to notify everyone. Especially with Gift Applicants.

Very valid point, but I question if in the long term they may actually be creating themselves more work. Consider the following example:
  • A member who wants to become Gifted but is rejected. Although they keep making 'non fluff' posts the posts they make are in the wrong forums.
  • Every two months they reapply and get rejected.
  • Each time they apply a moderator has to look up when they last applied, then review each and every post the member has made since their last application and count up those which meet the requirements for 'good posts'.
  • After a while the member starts getting upset not understanding why they are 'obviously' being reejected and start sending PMs to various moderators and admins asking why.
  • Finally the member gives up and leaves WI in favour of another WebKinz site.
Considering the time it must take to review each application, how much time would be added by sending our a standard 'form letter' explaing the reason versus reviewing the same applicant again, and again, and again... not to mention the confused state the member is left in.
JustDad is offline Male
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
God put on skin!
Gift Guru

Horses4Me defies all oddsHorses4Me defies all odds
Horses4Me defies all odds

These are good suggestions, and I have had those things happen to me several times. I have PMd a mod and asked why and if I could fix it and about half the time someone responds. I have never been given the opportunity to modify or fix a thread though. Sometimes they can't tell me why (if they didn't close it) and one time they said they don't have to explain according to the rules. I understand that, but I agree with your post that this could greatly improve thread making and posting. Again, it is a matter of who is moderating, I think. And probably how busy they are at the time... It is always humiliating to me to have a thread closed. It makes me feel like I'm not following the rules or doing what I should. I would never do that on purpose... (So a short explanation would help me and others understand.)

I hope this helps to make WI a better place for all!
Horses4Me is offline Female
Closed