Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Banned
chatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replay
chatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replaychatterbox4eva39 is stuck on replay

Default Re: WI profiles and the dangers of sharing person info online... caution

Even on my old account, I saw them and never knew there was a flag button until recently. Soo..
=/
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
Webkinz :)
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

Default Re: WI profiles and the dangers of sharing person info online... caution

View Post Originally Posted by puppylove ♥
Even on my old account, I saw them and never knew there was a flag button until recently. Soo..
=/
Me, too!
It took me the longest time to learn about the flag.

That's why this kind of information is good to constantly reinforce; members don't always know how the site works, even if they've been on awhile. Also, we're getting new members everyday, and they can't be expected to know everything instantly, either.

luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
abbabb141
Gifted
abbabb141 is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry. But I agree, I never put any pictures, or serious personal information, usually just my first name, the fact that I'm a girl, and I live in the USA. But thats IT, and even then I HATE IT. I feel so sorry for those who has lost loved ones, but you have to be as responsible as possible, the internet is a dangerous place.

Last edited by abbabb141; 07-19-2008 at 02:24 PM..
abbabb141 is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

I am subscribing to this post to bump it forward' with GOOD reason. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. While Justin and Wendy have the BEST team and they have the BEST intentions for us, we still give a 'bit' of info here and there. I know I am a safe person...but do YOU know that? HOW do you know that...Just because I am kind??? A lot of people start off being kind and caring, they gain a 'bit' of info from you bits annd pieces at a time. Like building a puzzle. Once they have the WHOLE picture in front of them, you won't be a hard person to find. If people ask you personal stuff, it should be an AUTOMATIC NO. Don't worry if the person's feelings are hurt. It is better to be safe than to be sorry.

---------- Dixiecup added 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by bekah_rose
Thats horrible! I am still just a kid, and it kinda scared me, so I think that all kids should read that, then they wouldn't give out personal info. I don't have a myspace becuz of that
That is all well and true that you may not have a Myspace or a Facebook or a HABBO...but you have a profile, here, don't you? No info of a personal nature should be on there, either.

Last edited by Dixiecup; 07-19-2008 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
same+ilovesoccer642
Gift Guru

mistyheart101 has a spectacular aura about

great tips.. sryy bout ur neighbor
mistyheart101 is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
azlachat
Gift Guru

azlachat is a jewel in the roughazlachat is a jewel in the rough

Donation Level 3 

Well said Dixie Cup!!!

These guys are MASTERS of deception...IT's what they do AND they do it well unfortunately...The worse part is that as Dixie Cup pointed out...They get it bit by bit OVER time!!! You'd never even realize it UNTIL it's too late...As an example, one post you might be discussing your latest activity like saying that you won a baseball game...The person you writing to might post back something like this

"Wow, that's fantastic!!! I play for the Charlotte Bumble Bees, we haven't had much luck though lost every game so far, might be to do with that lame name, what's your teams name, hope it's not as lame as ours LOL?"

They know how to get chatty, so that you get involved in the conversation and before you realize it you might answer back the name of your town's team...They don't even need to ask your teams' name IF you've already let out the town in a previous post, they can just look up information in your local paper when you tell them you've played a game and locate who "won" that day, more information, piece by piece that's how it's done by these sick individuals...

IF you've been talking with them for any length of time you may have already given up the State you live in without realizing it, or the name of your school, town or age, or just about ANY personal information that they can trace easily AND they do so please, please beware you really don't KNOW any of us it's true for the love of all of us KEEP SAFE...ZIP IT when it comes to any personal information...
azlachat is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
puncuation
Gift Guru

puncuation is a name known to allpuncuation is a name known to allpuncuation is a name known to all

I'v had someone ask me my E-mail,Here on WI through a PM.I dont remember who it was though.

---------- puncuation added 0 Minutes and 20 Seconds later ----------

But just so you know I said no

Last edited by puncuation; 07-19-2008 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
puncuation is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
jet3461

My myspace cannot be viewed by people I have not added on to my friends list, because I am aware of the dangers. All we can tell people here on WI is our first name and our state. I think that is awesome.

Jet
Old 07-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Webkinz :)
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

[quote=azlachat;9120550]Well said Dixie Cup!!!

These guys are MASTERS of deception...IT's what they do AND they do it well unfortunately...The worse part is that as Dixie Cup pointed out...They get it bit by bit OVER time!!! You'd never even realize it UNTIL it's too late...As an example, one post you might be discussing your latest activity like saying that you won a baseball game...The person you writing to might post back something like this

"Wow, that's fantastic!!! I play for the Charlotte Bumble Bees, we haven't had much luck though lost every game so far, might be to do with that lame name, what's your teams name, hope it's not as lame as ours LOL?"

They know how to get chatty, so that you get involved in the conversation and before you realize it you might answer back the name of your town's team...They don't even need to ask your teams' name IF you've already let out the town in a previous post, they can just look up information in your local paper when you tell them you've played a game and locate who "won" that day, more information, piece by piece that's how it's done by these sick individuals...

Well said!

If I may "back you up" on this----my sister is a police officer, and she has told me countless details of the way these slippery cyber-creeps operate: axlachat, you explained it perfectly, and in a way all of us, young and old, can easily understand.

One observation I'd like to make: I'm this forum an awful lot,
(), and I've noticed something worth mentioning: From what I've seen, it's the adults on this forum who tend to give out too much personal information: their children's ages, their first names, the towns in which they live, their occupations or that of their spouses.....Again---as axlachat said, a predator looks for series of things that can, over time, be linked together.

As adults, we are just as vulnerable to cyber-predators as children are. And we tend to forget that.

Additionally, because some of us are adults, we have a responsibility to act as good role models for our young friends. And again, that means no exchange of personal information. My WI friends know I would "turn them in a heartbeat" for sharing too much with me---not because I don't adore them, but because I do.

Last edited by luvwebbies; 07-19-2008 at 05:26 PM..
luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
fallbullet4
Gifted

smurfette6496 has a spectacular aura about

That is horrible, I already had a run-in with that before, on neopets, and I'm sure everyone has heard of the dangers of myspace, and that relatively young girl who killed herself when a "boy" actually, a grown woman, started being mean to her. The internet is a dangerous place, but I'm glad we have sites like WI we can count on for being safe
smurfette6496 is offline Female
Closed