Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #181
I have 3
Gift Guru

skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!

Donation Award 
Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

My opinion on this matter is this - you can get a virus, spyware, malware, etc. from any site or the ads on a site. You can say you will solve your problem by not coming back on WI, but it won't solve it. Your only true way to solve it is to never go on the internet again. Or you can have an good antivirus program that you actually use. I believe everyone should be running some sort of virus protection program at all times. You don't need to be "computer savvy" to use these programs. Many are self explanatory. This is currently what I am running on my computer at all times:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Spy Bot S&D, without the Tea Timer application which really slows down my computer
Ad Aware

I have each set-up to run scans on different days so that my computer is scanned every day. I know some people think these will conflict with one another, but I've found having a few programs are more likely to get everything than just one program. These run free of conflict for me. I also use Firefox which gives you the option to clear your cookies everytime you close out of Firefox. Cookies, while sometimes helpful, can slow down your computer.

I'm not a computer guru by any means, but I do manage a small network and am very familiar with viruses, spyware and malware. If anyone ever has any question, please feel free to PM me.

~sky
skysierra is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #182
Webkinz :)

Dusti is just really niceDusti is just really nice

View Post Originally Posted by sydney88
THANK YOU for clarifying this! I just have a couple questions about the part that I bolded.

About four-five weeks ago, I woke up one morning, turned on my laptop, and opened up both Webkinz World and Webkinz Insider. I started viewing my galore contest thread, and all of a sudden the Security Protect 2009 popped up. Two days prior, I found out that my anti-virus software had expired. I was able to renew it, and after running a full scan I was able to get rid of the Security Protect 2009 from my computer.

About 10-12 days ago, I visited my parents who live two states away from me. While there I got on their computer to research a topic on Google (I was giving a talk). I decided to get onto WI to check on my contest thread. I was multi-quoting several entries when all of a sudden, the Security Protect 2009 popped up. It completely froze the computer, and for some reason McAfee didn't do anything. My parents had to take it in to a computer shop to get it fixed.

So my question is - is this just some sort of coincidence that I was viewing the exact same thread when I got the exact same virus on two separate computers? How was Security Protect 2009 installed on both the computers? No one has access to my laptop, so I must have done it unknowingly. But how did I do it? And how come it took a while for the virus to pop up on my computer? If I did install it accidentally, it must have happened the day before at least....is this even possible?

As for my parents' computer, I have no idea what they must have done to install Security Protect 2009. As far as I know, they only use the Internet for online banking, research, and personal communication. That's basically what I use my laptop for too (as well as for school and work).
A program called Malwarebytes is the software most used to remove "Spyware Protect 2009". Unless you are tech savvy, I would recommend professional assistance to use it. The last I heard, McAfee did not remove it completely.

To answer your question, that virus must be installed, it is not capable of auto-installation. This virus has hit so many computers that you could almost call it an epidemic. It is very deceptive and tricks people into installing it.
Dusti is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #183
Gift Guru

WesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Monalisa
my big problem is it will not even let me on these malware remover sites ..
When my laptop became infected, the virus wouldn't let us get to the sites either. We had to email the download link to ourself from one of our clean computers...sign on to the infected computer....open up the mail and go directly to the download link.

That virus is nasty. It stores all kinds of hidden files to your computers registry. Thank goodness there are bots to remove it now. A few weeks back (when we got it) the bots weren't out yet. Since our computer was brand new, my DH just restored it with the discs that came with it. It was just easier that way.

Last edited by WesleyKinz; 03-24-2009 at 09:54 PM..
WesleyKinz is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #184
MoNotDaVinci
Gift Guru

Monalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by WesleyKinz
When my laptop became infected, the virus wouldn't let us get to the sites either. We had to email the download link to ourself from one of our clean computers...sign on to the infected computer....open up the mail and go directly to the download link.

That virus is nasty. Is stores all kinds of hidden files to your computers registry. Thank goodness there are bots to remove it now. A few weeks back (when we got it) the bots weren't out yet. Since our computer was brand new, my DH just restored it with the discs that came with it. It was just easier that way.

i still can not get to the sites when i email it to that computer.. so i downloaded the program and emailed that.. it let me download it .. then i open it and it stops half way and freezes.. this is the malawarebyte one.. my computer is a dell with windows xp ..
Monalisa is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #185
I have 3
Gift Guru

skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Dusti
A program called Malwarebytes is the software most used to remove "Spyware Protect 2009". Unless you are tech savvy, I would recommend professional assistance to use it. The last I heard, McAfee did not remove it completely.

To answer your question, that virus must be installed, it is not capable of auto-installation. This virus has hit so many computers that you could almost call it an epidemic. It is very deceptive and tricks people into installing it.
Malwarebytes removed parts of it for me. I had to use Avast & Spybot to completely rid myself of it. It didn't even come up on my McAfee scan! But, I'm not a big fan of McAfee....

~sky
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #186
So this is love
Gift Guru

sydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guide

Hmmm...I don't remember installing ANYTHING at all, although it was a month ago so it's possible I needed to download something from the Internet and it turned out to be a fake...
I was able to get rid of it using Symantec...it brought up a website explaining what Spyware Protect 2009 is and how to get rid of it. I followed all the steps to get rid of it. And I assume that when the computer shop fixed my parents' computer, they got rid of the virus.

BTW, thank you so much again. I have disabled AdBlock on the WI website. I don't think the viruses came from advertisements, but if I see a particularly flashy and annoying one, I'll let Justin know.
sydney88 is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #187
Webkinz :)

Dusti is just really niceDusti is just really nice

View Post Originally Posted by WesleyKinz
I'm sorry, my friend, but you are giving WI users a false sense of security here. It is a KNOWN fact that banner ads are notorious for infecting users. Just go to google and type in "banner ads infect users" and look at what you come up with.

I don't think it's just coincidence that so many users are very recently having the same problem. I myself was infected on one of my laptops (a brand new one straight from dell) via IE.

Also..... How exactly do you explain this (below) if WI is *SAFE* as you say?? This warning actually gives the SOURCE for the virus.

Click the image to open in full size.
Your graphic says: "from the site creatives.serve-banners.com, which appears to host malware".

My response is this: I don't know. I've never been to creatives.serve-banners.com so I can not say whether or not it hosts or appears to host malware. The only thing I can say is that we use professional equipment and software and based on information obtained from our software, WI is safe.
Dusti is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #188
I have 3
Gift Guru

Donation Award 

I did not install this virus. My mouse is wonky - I'm just too lazy to fix it. While scrolling down the WI forum, I accidentally clicked on an ad. Firefox slowed to a crawl and an window popped up with a .PDF file name. It disappeared so quickly, I couldn't get anything else from it except .PDF. Within minutes Spyware Protect 2009 was installed on my computer. So technically I did not install this program, it came from an accidental click on an ad.

~sky
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #189
Gift Guru

elefancy has a reputation beyond reputeelefancy has a reputation beyond reputeelefancy has a reputation beyond reputeelefancy has a reputation beyond reputeelefancy has a reputation beyond reputeelefancy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that you can get a virus from any site- I think part of the problem here is that when people started saying that yes they did get a virus from WI they were told no that could never have happened. This is not the first time the subject has come up- I believe people were talking about it a few months ago as well.
Thankfully I have not gotten a virus but I have been redirected to sites that I would not want any child redirected to- It would be nice to know that the owner of the site was working on the issues rather than saying they have no control over the ads

He has repeated on several occasions that he is. -fairlyoddmom

Last edited by fairlyoddmom; 03-25-2009 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: He has repeated on several occasions that he is.
elefancy is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #190
Gifted

KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!KLDKinzMom is the bees knees!

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Monalisa
i still can not get to the sites when i email it to that computer.. so i downloaded the program and emailed that.. it let me download it .. then i open it and it stops half way and freezes.. this is the malawarebyte one.. my computer is a dell with windows xp ..
When Dell tried to fix this for me on my desk top, they tried downloading many programs and none of them removed the entire virus. The last program they tried to use, i forget what it was called... maybe trojan remover? , it wouldn't even let them download it which is why we ended up reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. As was said before, this virus puts hidden files everywhere. At one point the Dell tech was deleting a command it was telling my computer to do (sorry I'm so nontech) but when he deleted it, the command would duplicate itself. It was very frustrating.
Closed

Tags
malware virus ads, mimzi tag!, mouse noms on tags, use firefox not ie, yo mama