Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #171
rleong

Justin has disabled reputation

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by July
By the way, Justin, out of curiosity, how many yearly subscribers would it take to be able to turn off the ads, or limit it to just handpicked advertisers that you know are safe?
Approximately 4000.
Justin is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #172
Webkinz :)

Dusti is just really niceDusti is just really nice

View Post Originally Posted by Monalisa
i never thought it was WI .. i thought it was a classmates site i had visited.. but while you are here.. thats what i have spyware protect and cannot even use my dell laptop with it continuously popping up .. it will not even let me go to download sites for malaware.. i tried to go to mcafee and it sneaky little booger sent me to mcaffee ( 2 f's ) this is on my laptop with windows xp... i am interested in what windows everyone is using that gets this.. is windows vista more secure ? please pm me if you had the spyware protect thing and also could not get to sites like malaware or microsoft and if so could you cure it ? and how .
Monalisa, I wish I had an easy solution to give you. But that one is a very nasty, stubborn virus.

The easiest way for you to get rid of it would probably be to reformat your computer. Then make sure you have a good antivirus program installed with the latest updates. I also recommend using Spybot in addition to antivirus software. It is extremely difficult to get rid of that virus, that's why starting over with a clean format is the easiest way.
Dusti is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #173
rleong

View Post Originally Posted by Dusti
Monalisa, I wish I had an easy solution to give you. But that one is a very nasty, stubborn virus.

The easiest way for you to get rid of it would probably be to reformat your computer. Then make sure you have a good antivirus program installed with the latest updates. I also recommend using Spybot in addition to antivirus software. It is extremely difficult to get rid of that virus, that's why starting over with a clean format is the easiest way.
My father is also a big fan of Windows Defender for spyware blocking.
Justin is offline Male
Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #174
Gift Guru

WesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Dusti
This is WRONG information! There are not any viruses or spyware embedded in the ads. How do I know? Because I work in internet security. I have read through this thread and all of these accusations about getting a virus at WI are completely wrong. I'm not going to bore everyone with a lot of technical jargon, but I will give you some facts.

• About the pop-up virus that people are describing in this thread - you did NOT get that virus from WI or from any of the ads that are displayed on WI
  • If that virus pop-up occurred while you were on WI, it is because the virus was already installed on your computer. That means that you had the virus BEFORE WI loaded on your browser.
  • Using an ad block program will not prevent or remove a virus
  • Computers get infected with the "spyware protect 2009 virus" by someone installing it on their computer. But, you say that you didn't install it? Yes, either you or someone else using your computer installed it. Most likely, you were not aware of the fact that you were installing it at the time.
  • How do most viruses get on people's computers? - By 1) downloading free things off of the internet and 2) by opening unsolicited email.
  • Sites that offer free graphics, free avatars, free website templates, game cheats, etc., etc., are high risk for downloading viruses and spyware. Only download free offers of any kind from trusted websites!
  • Yes, there are websites that can infect a computer with a virus or spyware just by visiting the website. They are called "drive by downloads". BUT, the type of websites where that happens are websites that decent people do not visit (if you know what I mean).
  • I will repeat, Webkinz Insider is CLEAN, that means virus free and spyware free.
The computer I use at work uses heavy security and restricts where I can go on the internet. If I was to even try to go to a website that had a virus (which I do not), alarms would be set off and my internet connection would be terminated immediately. I am using my work computer now, while typing this......no alarms, no warnings, because WI is SAFE.
I'm sorry, my friend, but you are giving WI users a false sense of security here. It is a KNOWN fact that banner ads are notorious for infecting users. Just go to google and type in "banner ads infect users" and look at what you come up with.

I don't think it's just coincidence that so many users are very recently having the same problem. I myself was infected on one of my laptops (a brand new one straight from dell) via IE.

Also..... How exactly do you explain this (below) if WI is *SAFE* as you say?? This warning actually gives the SOURCE for the virus.

Click the image to open in full size.
WesleyKinz is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #175
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

View Post Originally Posted by Justin
Approximately 4000.
Just out of curiosity, how many subscribers are there now? I know you said there were around 110 the other day, but I feel like I've seen more badges floating around since then. I don't imagine there are anywhere near 4000 though, but I'm just wondering.
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #176
MoNotDaVinci
Gift Guru

Monalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond repute

mine also keeps coming up with wmi ... publisher microsoft corp has closed this program .. i close it ok .. send message report.. then same message pops back up .. I wonder if there is a virus protector or spy ware thing called ... thrownoutwindow
Monalisa is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #177
rleong

View Post Originally Posted by -Lilypad
Just out of curiosity, how many subscribers are there now? I know you said there were around 110 the other day, but I feel like I've seen more badges floating around since then. I don't imagine there are anywhere near 4000 though, but I'm just wondering.
Including the 2 gift subscriptions from yesterday, 162
Justin is offline Male
Old 03-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #178
Gift Guru

stbernard07 knows the way
stbernard07 knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by Justin
Including the 2 gift subscriptions from yesterday, 162
We are 4.05% of the way there if I did my math correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

View Post Originally Posted by WesleyKinz
I'm sorry, my friend, but you are giving WI users a false sense of security here. It is a KNOWN fact that banner ads are notorious for infecting users. Just go to google and type in "banner ads infect users" and look at what you come up with.

I don't think it's just coincidence that so many users are very recently having the same problem. I myself was infected on one of my laptops (a brand new one straight from dell) via IE.

Also..... How exactly do you explain this (below) if WI is *SAFE* as you say?? This warning actually gives the SOURCE for the virus.

Click the image to open in full size.
I got that message on my sister's account which never was touched. I never got it on my account which is loaded up with all the security "stuff", LOL. I immediately logged off of her account when I saw that message, I was amazed, I thought it would never happen to me. My computer was running extremely slow when it happened.

Last edited by stbernard07; 03-24-2009 at 09:30 PM..
stbernard07 is offline Male
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #179
I have 3
Gift Guru

skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!skysierra is the cats pajamas!

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Monalisa
mine also keeps coming up with wmi ... publisher microsoft corp has closed this program .. i close it ok .. send message report.. then same message pops back up .. I wonder if there is a virus protector or spy ware thing called ... thrownoutwindow
I had this "spyware protect 2009 "on my computer as well. I found it easily removed by a combination of 2 programs -

Spybot Search & Destory
Avast Anti-Virus

I ran the spybot and then the avast. Both are free, highly rated and safe. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

~sky
skysierra is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #180
MoNotDaVinci
Gift Guru

Monalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by skysierra
I had this "spyware protect 2009 "on my computer as well. I found it easily removed by a combination of 2 programs -

Spybot Search & Destory
Avast Anti-Virus

I ran the spybot and then the avast. Both are free, highly rated and safe. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

~sky
my big problem is it will not even let me on these malware remover sites ..

Last edited by Monalisa; 03-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: meant for pm
Monalisa is offline Female
Closed

Tags
malware virus ads, mimzi tag!, mouse noms on tags, use firefox not ie, yo mama