Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!


Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #161
rleong
 
Justin's Avatar
Justin has disabled reputation

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by sydney88
I am just doing the Ad Block as a trial run...if it helps with the virus situation, then I will definitely look into the subscription program. I want to do everything I can to give back to this website...
Thanks! It won't help with the issues, though at this point... I'm not sure what will other than giving the ad networks time to sort out the issues and picking off the potentially bad ads as I see them. Whenever anyone sees one of those "free Wii" or "You are the 1,000,000,000,000th visitor claim your prize" ads, please LMK and provide a screenshot of the entire ad. This will (hopefully) help me find them one by one as those are the most likely culprits....
Justin is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #162
Webkinz :)
 
koalacookie's Avatar
koalacookie is on a distinguished road

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

the virus software stuff happened on my computer once but i think it was from another site so its just the ads and stuff i believe. all i did was x-ed out of it and ran a virus scan on my computer just in case. i later found out that it had started to download a trojan horse so i had my dad delete the file. i dont know if the ones from this site will download the same virus but if you get the ad just x out and run a virus scan. i hope this wont happen to too many more people.
koalacookie is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #163
Webkinz :)
 
rodsbaby's Avatar
rodsbaby is just really nicerodsbaby is just really nice

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by Doggyfan
My thoughts exactly. This just started happening and we would like to know that it's being looked into and the problem is being resolved. There's too many of us confirming that this is coming from WI and just started at that. We don't want to be told that it's the ads, we know this, but the ads are on WI therefore it reflects on WI. I enjoy WI and realize that I'm just one person who comes on here so if I leave it won't really matter to anyone but me. The risk of infecting our computers is scary because most people can't afford to just go out and buy new ones or have theirs fixed. Please let us know that you are looking into where this is coming from and you sympathize with us.

yes i am having the same issues and it frustrates me to no end !!???
rodsbaby is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #164
Webkinz :)
 
Dusti's Avatar
Dusti is just really niceDusti is just really nice

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by januarywebkinz
You said it was imbedded in some ads. Does that mean that Insider Insiders won't get viruses since we don't see any ads?
This is WRONG information! There are not any viruses or spyware embedded in the ads. How do I know? Because I work in internet security. I have read through this thread and all of these accusations about getting a virus at WI are completely wrong. I'm not going to bore everyone with a lot of technical jargon, but I will give you some facts.

  • About the pop-up virus that people are describing in this thread - you did NOT get that virus from WI or from any of the ads that are displayed on WI
  • If that virus pop-up occurred while you were on WI, it is because the virus was already installed on your computer. That means that you had the virus BEFORE WI loaded on your browser.
  • Using an ad block program will not prevent or remove a virus
  • Computers get infected with the "spyware protect 2009 virus" by someone installing it on their computer. But, you say that you didn't install it? Yes, either you or someone else using your computer installed it. Most likely, you were not aware of the fact that you were installing it at the time.
  • How do most viruses get on people's computers? - By 1) downloading free things off of the internet and 2) by opening unsolicited email.
  • Sites that offer free graphics, free avatars, free website templates, game cheats, etc., etc., are high risk for downloading viruses and spyware. Only download free offers of any kind from trusted websites!
  • Yes, there are websites that can infect a computer with a virus or spyware just by visiting the website. They are called "drive by downloads". BUT, the type of websites where that happens are websites that decent people do not visit (if you know what I mean).
  • I will repeat, Webkinz Insider is CLEAN, that means virus free and spyware free.
The computer I use at work uses heavy security and restricts where I can go on the internet. If I was to even try to go to a website that had a virus (which I do not), alarms would be set off and my internet connection would be terminated immediately. I am using my work computer now, while typing this......no alarms, no warnings, because WI is SAFE.
Dusti is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #165
bekahluvsjesus(:
Webkinz :)
 
bekah_rose's Avatar
bekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guidebekah_rose is a golden guide

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

Now I'm scared to death to get on WI! Because I have no idea if we have a virus scanner on the laptop I use and I don't know what to do!!

I just read the post above! Awesome!! That helped alot!
bekah_rose is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #166
loves
Webkinz :)
 
July's Avatar
July wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 
Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by bekah_rose
Now I'm scared to death to get on WI! Because I have no idea if we have a virus scanner on the laptop I use and I don't know what to do!!

I just read the post above! Awesome!! That helped alot!
Avast makes a good virus protection program that's free to home users - that's what I use on my laptop! It's very easy to download and install. Good luck!
July is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #167
loves
Webkinz :)
 
July's Avatar
July wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 
Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

By the way, Justin, out of curiosity, how many yearly subscribers would it take to be able to turn off the ads, or limit it to just handpicked advertisers that you know are safe?
July is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #168
roverbono on
Webkinz :)
 
dizzyfish101's Avatar
dizzyfish101 is a splendid one to beholddizzyfish101 is a splendid one to beholddizzyfish101 is a splendid one to beholddizzyfish101 is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

Thanks Dusti! I didn't know that! It's nice to know!

Rep for you & thankfully I'm using a Mac so it's all good =P

- Ciara
dizzyfish101 is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #169
MoNotDaVinci
Gift Guru
 
Monalisa's Avatar
Monalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond reputeMonalisa has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by Dusti
T
  • Computers get infected with the "spyware protect 2009 virus" by someone installing it on their computer. But, you say that you didn't install it? Yes, either you or someone else using your computer installed it. Most likely, you were not aware of the fact that you were installing it at the time.
.
i never thought it was WI .. i thought it was a classmates site i had visited.. but while you are here.. thats what i have spyware protect and cannot even use my dell laptop with it continuously popping up .. it will not even let me go to download sites for malaware.. i tried to go to mcafee and it sneaky little booger sent me to mcaffee ( 2 f's ) this is on my laptop with windows xp... i am interested in what windows everyone is using that gets this.. is windows vista more secure ? please pm me if you had the spyware protect thing and also could not get to sites like malaware or microsoft and if so could you cure it ? and how .
Monalisa is offline Female
Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #170
So this is love
Gift Guru
 
sydney88's Avatar
sydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guidesydney88 is a golden guide

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by Dusti
This is WRONG information! There are not any viruses or spyware embedded in the ads. How do I know? Because I work in internet security. I have read through this thread and all of these accusations about getting a virus at WI are completely wrong. I'm not going to bore everyone with a lot of technical jargon, but I will give you some facts.

  • About the pop-up virus that people are describing in this thread - you did NOT get that virus from WI or from any of the ads that are displayed on WI
  • If that virus pop-up occurred while you were on WI, it is because the virus was already installed on your computer. That means that you had the virus BEFORE WI loaded on your browser.
  • Using an ad block program will not prevent or remove a virus
  • Computers get infected with the "spyware protect 2009 virus" by someone installing it on their computer. But, you say that you didn't install it? Yes, either you or someone else using your computer installed it. Most likely, you were not aware of the fact that you were installing it at the time.
  • How do most viruses get on people's computers? - By 1) downloading free things off of the internet and 2) by opening unsolicited email.
  • Sites that offer free graphics, free avatars, free website templates, game cheats, etc., etc., are high risk for downloading viruses and spyware. Only download free offers of any kind from trusted websites!
  • Yes, there are websites that can infect a computer with a virus or spyware just by visiting the website. They are called "drive by downloads". BUT, the type of websites where that happens are websites that decent people do not visit (if you know what I mean).
  • I will repeat, Webkinz Insider is CLEAN, that means virus free and spyware free.
The computer I use at work uses heavy security and restricts where I can go on the internet. If I was to even try to go to a website that had a virus (which I do not), alarms would be set off and my internet connection would be terminated immediately. I am using my work computer now, while typing this......no alarms, no warnings, because WI is SAFE.
THANK YOU for clarifying this! I just have a couple questions about the part that I bolded.

About four-five weeks ago, I woke up one morning, turned on my laptop, and opened up both Webkinz World and Webkinz Insider. I started viewing my galore contest thread, and all of a sudden the Security Protect 2009 popped up. Two days prior, I found out that my anti-virus software had expired. I was able to renew it, and after running a full scan I was able to get rid of the Security Protect 2009 from my computer.

About 10-12 days ago, I visited my parents who live two states away from me. While there I got on their computer to research a topic on Google (I was giving a talk). I decided to get onto WI to check on my contest thread. I was multi-quoting several entries when all of a sudden, the Security Protect 2009 popped up. It completely froze the computer, and for some reason McAfee didn't do anything. My parents had to take it in to a computer shop to get it fixed.

So my question is - is this just some sort of coincidence that I was viewing the exact same thread when I got the exact same virus on two separate computers? How was Security Protect 2009 installed on both the computers? No one has access to my laptop, so I must have done it unknowingly. But how did I do it? And how come it took a while for the virus to pop up on my computer? If I did install it accidentally, it must have happened the day before at least....is this even possible?

As for my parents' computer, I have no idea what they must have done to install Security Protect 2009. As far as I know, they only use the Internet for online banking, research, and personal communication. That's basically what I use my laptop for too (as well as for school and work).
sydney88 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
malware virus ads, mimzi tag!, mouse noms on tags, use firefox not ie, yo mama

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Kopi Enterprises, LLC
WebkinzInsider.Com is not an official site of, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Ganz, Inc, Webkinz, Lil'Kinz, or Kinzville Newz and all character names, logos, and images are trademarks owned by Ganz, Inc.
no new posts