Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #91
me is bored xD
Gifted

januarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonderjanuarywebkinz wows us all with wonder

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

View Post Originally Posted by WesleyKinz
It's definitely a virus. It tries to fool you by making you think your virus protection has found a problem on your computer.

This particular virus is embedded in the ads. You don't even have to click on the ads to activate it. It basically finds you!

The best way to avoid getting it is to use Firefox (this virus cannot come thru firefox, but you MUST keep adblock up to date). If you use IE, you need to enable a malware blocker or spybot (my preference). You can download "spybot search & destroy" to your computer by going here::: The home of Spybot-S&D!

One of my laptops was infected in exactly this same way last Saturday. My son had opened IE on my laptop and I didn't notice and I went to WI. It was the only thing I had open and within a few minutes, I was infected (because of using IE and because that computer didn't have the appropriate virus/malware protection on it......It does NOW!).
You said it was imbedded in some ads. Does that mean that Insider Insiders won't get viruses since we don't see any ads?
januarywebkinz is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #92
rleong

Justin has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by januarywebkinz
You said it was imbedded in some ads. Does that mean that Insider Insiders won't get viruses since we don't see any ads?
No, but you won't get any from WI, and without ads, you won't get any from the ad networks here on WI.

WI's PHP files and JS files are completely clean.. If there's something coming from WI, it's somehow embedded into the ads, which is the responsibility of the ad network to screen and monitor.

That said, an Insider Insider subscription isn't antivirus software and you will still be susceptible to viruses/spyware/malware from other sites that run ads.
Justin is offline Male
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #93
AmericanBaronin
Gifted

KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!

Default Re: Viruses- Please help!

View Post Originally Posted by Webkinz_Lovers
I was on another thread earlier today and someone with a subscription had the same problem. So it appears that buying the subscription does not protect your computer from being infected.
Why would it need to? There are no ads with subscription, which is how those main problems slip through. We are also talking about people that say they never go anywhere but this site, however I find it hard to believe that they don't go to places like yahoo, hotmail, google and other email sites {plus others but at least email sites}, all of which have ads of all sorts. That is how that particular virus/malware/trojans get through as well as people downloading things from non-secure/safe sites. We are talking about people even on this thread that said they didn't have any kind of blocks/protection on their computer which can let all sorts of things through, plus those who do have some sort of virus protection who aren't running scans anyway and/or not letting the program delete things. I have had the fake virus protection thing pop up, whiile I am on this site, but that does not necessarily mean it came from this site {even though I am behind a firewall/router plus have defender and other things going}. As he said, it could come through the ads, which are not under the site's domain {but instead the company that runs the ads}. I am sure that the site has contacted the ad people to find out what's going on. Compared to all the other sites I go to, this site {by far} has very few problems {usually none}. As an excomputer tech I don't find it great that anything is getting through but I'm not in a panic or whatever about it, either.
KeyLargo is offline Female
Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #94
ill miss you all!
Banned
andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!

Default Re: Viruses- Please help!

View Post Originally Posted by elefancy
Justin I think I have to disagree with you- I have not only gotten pop up ads while here (just as recently as about a half hour ago) but I have also been redirected totally to other sites- and I am sure you have already heard about the you have won a Nintendo WI voice that pops up- I now keep my computer on mute to avoid that

I have been directed to sites as well- not good ones, may I add.

I call those voice ads "Pop-up ads", but I know there is a difference.
andrewhoya is offline Male
Old 03-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #95
gifted9
Gifted

gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!
gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!gifted9 is a def. WINNER!

Ooo... I think we should all watch out... Bump to your thread.
gifted9 is offline Female
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #96
ill miss you all!
Banned
andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!andrewhoya is the bees knees!

I think the two threads were combined, am I right?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #97
Gift Guru

WesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by andrewhoya
I think the two threads were combined, am I right?
Yep, they were merged late last nite.....confused the heck out of me at first!
WesleyKinz is offline Female
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #98
ill miss you all!
Banned

View Post Originally Posted by WesleyKinz
Yep, they were merged late last nite.....confused the heck out of me at first!

LOL- I was confused when I could not find it on my subscribed threads! LOL
Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #99
moosewyo
Webkinz :)

moosewyo will become famous soon enough

I just had my anti-virus catch a Trojan virus WHILE I was reading this post!
I use Avast antivirus. It is awesome.

I must say, this is the 2nd or 3rd virus/malware that has tried to get into my computer while I am on this website. It makes me avoid coming here for very long, sadly.
moosewyo is offline Female
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #100
ill miss you all!
Banned

I know what you mean.
Closed

Tags
malware virus ads, mimzi tag!, mouse noms on tags, use firefox not ie, yo mama