Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Leah Clearwater. ;]
Gifted

leahme999 has disabled reputation

Default WI popup/virus problem

A couple minutes ago i was on the DCT and when I was typing a reply, the browser completely shut down (it didn't exactly shut down; it was more like disappeared because my browser takes a while to exit, while in this situation i could have blinked and it was there and gone) and that little annoying popup saying:
"Your computer is not fully protected against viruses or whatever. Security whatever 2009 blah blah blah will now run a scan on your computer"
and the only option to get out of the popup was ok. i tried pressing alt+F4 (which exits whatever window you're in) and the browser came back up (again, in the blink of an eye) and it was "scanning for viruses". i got that little bar that said this site was trying to download files onto my computer and that it was blocked.

luckily, i've been through this type of junk before and i knew how to get out of it (while it's "scanning for viruses" on that webpage, type in something random into the URL bar and it'll go to like a yahoo search or aol search or something but the popup will be gone). but i'm not sure about some of the other members on WI. There are little kids on here who would have no idea what to do.

i know somebody's gonna say this: it must have come from another site.
but i know it didn't because i got IE8 just this morning (it runs a scan before it installs the new update) and the only other site i've been on is a site that i really trust, and because WI i know has had a history of ads trying to get us. (O.O)

(while i'm on the topic, the talking ads are really getting on my nerves...)

so if the admins can fix this, i'd really like it...i don't want any unprotected computers getting messed up because of WI. Thanks for reading.
leahme999 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
MY NAME IS EMMA
Gifted

coolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wonder

Default Re: WI popup/virus problem

This happened to me on this sister site: Bearville Insider.
coolawesomeAbby is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
not telling
Webkinz :)

:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute

It happened to me last night, and I had no clue what to do. I immedietly shut down my computer, then started it back up and ran a virus scanner that I have on my computer. It showed no viruses, so I guessed it was either Webkinz or Webkinz insider.

Thanks so much for posting this!
:)Anna(: is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Wordy Nerdy Birdy
Passerine is a jewel in the roughPasserine is a jewel in the rough

Did this program call itself SpySweeper 2009 (possibly 'SpySweeper 2009 demo') and have a little blue shield with a white stripe running diagonally across it as an icon? If it's the same program I'm thinking of, I ran into it as well, and the only sites I've been on today are WI and some ad-free sites for my courses.

It made its way into my toolbar and would send little pop-up messages saying it detected viruses on my computer, but there were grammar mistakes.

I got rid of mine by entering CTRL + ALT + DELETE to bring up my program manager. The program showed up there and I killed the process that way, then ran a full scan with my antivirus software.
Passerine is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
I'M BLUE! [DamDaDo]
Gifted

webkinz_lover_ is a name known to allwebkinz_lover_ is a name known to allwebkinz_lover_ is a name known to all

Hmm, I wish I could relate, but it's never happened to me. And I hardly ever scan my computer for viruses. The only thing I really use it a pop-up blocker. Strange, but true.
webkinz_lover_ is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
MY NAME IS EMMA
Gifted

coolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wondercoolawesomeAbby wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Passerine
Did this program call itself SpySweeper 2009 (possibly 'SpySweeper 2009 demo') and have a little blue shield with a white stripe running diagonally across it as an icon? If it's the same program I'm thinking of, I ran into it as well, and the only sites I've been on today are WI and some ad-free sites for my courses.

It made its way into my toolbar and would send little pop-up messages saying it detected viruses on my computer, but there were grammar mistakes.

I got rid of mine by entering CTRL + ALT + DELETE to bring up my program manager. The program showed up there and I killed the process that way, then ran a full scan with my antivirus software.
I got a virus with this shield before. my computer browser discovered it, and took it off.
coolawesomeAbby is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Leah Clearwater. ;]
Gifted

leahme999 has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by Passerine

i'm not sure if there was an icon, because i was thinking about getting the heck out of there before it got through my blocker (xD).

the name sounds familiar though.
leahme999 is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Wordy Nerdy Birdy
Passerine is a jewel in the roughPasserine is a jewel in the rough

View Post Originally Posted by leahme999
i'm not sure if there was an icon, because i was thinking about getting the heck out of there before it got through my blocker (xD).

the name sounds familiar though.
Oh yes, I know that feeling. XD

You might want to run a scan regardless. I found a Trojan on my computer after that ad.
Passerine is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
not telling

:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute:)Anna(: has a reputation beyond repute

Yeahh, the name sounds familiar... Like leahme said, I was only concerned about getting the heck outta there!
:)Anna(: is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
Gift Guru

WesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 

It's definitely a virus. It tries to fool you by making you think your virus protection has found a problem on your computer.

This particular virus is embedded in the ads. You don't even have to click on the ads to activate it. It basically finds you!

The best way to avoid getting it is to use Firefox (this virus cannot come thru firefox, but you MUST keep adblock up to date). If you use IE, you need to enable a malware blocker or spybot (my preference). You can download "spybot search & destroy" to your computer by going here::: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

One of my laptops was infected in exactly this same way last Saturday. My son had opened IE on my laptop and I didn't notice and I went to WI. It was the only thing I had open and within a few minutes, I was infected (because of using IE and because that computer didn't have the appropriate virus/malware protection on it......It does NOW!).

Last edited by WesleyKinz; 03-21-2009 at 10:27 PM..
WesleyKinz is offline Female
Closed

Tags
malware virus ads, mimzi tag!, mouse noms on tags, use firefox not ie, yo mama