Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Webkinz :)

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

Wink WIGEV as CSV?

It would be really handy if the WIGEV table were available as a data table - perhaps csv format.

This way, members could develop their own spreadsheet or database front ends for managing their collections which could look up current values - compare possible trades - etc. without needing to 'cut and paste' the values from the on line listings which I believe is frowned upon.

Looking over the WIGEV the following fields would cover the information in the current list:

Category
Description
Theme
Introduced
Retired/Last Available
Original Price
Exchange Value - Low
Exchange Value - High
Comments

Just a thought - but sure would be nice.
JustDad is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Gifted

Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum
Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum

Default Re: WIGEV as CSV?

I personally think our current form of the WIGEV is fine... it could be better, yes, but it serves it's purpose. If it wasn't alphabetical order, then I probably would agree with you.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts; I havn't been in the GE for quite some time, so the feeling toward our system might have changed.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
estrellaSMC
Gifted

Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!

View Post Originally Posted by JustDad
It would be really handy if the WIGEV table were available as a data table - perhaps csv format.

This way, members could develop their own spreadsheet or database front ends for managing their collections which could look up current values - compare possible trades - etc. without needing to 'cut and paste' the values from the on line listings which I believe is frowned upon.

Looking over the WIGEV the following fields would cover the information in the current list:

Category
Description
Theme
Introduced
Retired/Last Available
Original Price
Exchange Value - Low
Exchange Value - High
Comments

Just a thought - but sure would be nice.
I think that would be a great idea. I'm a programmer and I manage my trading stock with a Java database program. It would really be helpful if there was such a file I could import and use in my program.
Gypsy is offline Female
Old 12-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Gifted

xxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talent

WI Subscriber

Not a bad idea. [;
Thanks for sharing!
~xxaeroxx
xxaeroxx is offline Female
Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
FIA
FluffyInAlabama
Gift Guru

FIA has disabled reputation

Several members have tried to create such a database, but none of them have lasted for very long. The values are constantly being changed, and it is difficult to keep everything updated.

If someone wants to give it a shot, they should feel free to see what they can come up with.
FIA is offline Female
Old 12-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Webkinz :)

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

Don't take this suggestion as criticism of the current WIGEV format - I was suggesting this in addition to the current format. Basically a reformat of the same data in the current WIGEV listing but made available for use 'offline'. The type use I was seeing was that in a spreadsheet you would be able to list all the items you have for trade (or those you want) and the spreadsheet would tabulate the current values of those items by using this 'raw data table'.

I've done a fair bit of database and spreadsheet work in the past and didn't think that it would be that difficult to create or maintain. From what I have seen monthly changes seem are one of three types - addition of new items, retirement of old items, and changes in value due to increasing age.

The first two would need to be handled manually - but each month their really don't seem to be that many changes. Once created it would simply be a matter of adding the new records and entering the 'retirement date' for those which have been retired.

The last would simply be a matter of comparing 'retirement date' to the current date to calculate the time since retirement / last appearance and looking the value up in the corresponding table based upon the type of item.

The only other factor I can think of looking over the list is that their would need to be a flag field associated with each item to indicate a 'capped value' for those items like the Gold Safe which once brought back as a wShop Replica had a maximum value set.

If done as a spreadsheet or database rather than a CSV it would even be possible to include a picture of the item - however I have mixed feelings on this as the data would no longer be platform and application independent.

I'm game to take a crack at it - if it isn't against the rules who should I approach for approval since it would deviate from the 'no modifications to the WIGEV' policy?
JustDad is offline Male
Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
FIA
FluffyInAlabama
Gift Guru

FIA has disabled reputation

JustDad, you may want to compare notes with valleygram and MarianHM.

Both of them have worked with moving the WIGEV to spreadsheets.

I believe Marian still has his going, but I'm not certain.
FIA is offline Female
Closed