Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
Gift Guru

PaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roost

Donation Award 
Default Re: A way to reduce arguments on the forum

You have brought up a very interesting topic. The orange juice analogy is very clever and a great way to introduce your topic. If I may, I’d like to throw out the other side of the “coin.”

View Post Originally Posted by JacksMom
I personally think that disagreement can be very healthy. If you listen to why someone believes what they do, often you can learn something and once in a while, may even change what you thought you believed. "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

Always, though -- you can be enriched by knowing the world is made up of many different kinds of people and opinions.

And of course, whenever arguments break out, you can always flag a staff member to come and provide some guidance. We can't be everywhere all the time, so the other WI members are often our eyes and ears.

JacksMom and babena2 make a wonderful point. There are thousands of WI members each with their own beliefs and opinions. This is not only what makes us part of the human condition but also makes each one of us unique and special as individuals.

WI has provided us with a great place to share our common interest of Webkinz but also as a public forum allows us to express out other interests and beliefs so we can reach out and form connections and friendships with others. We are lucky to have WI and live within a democratic nation where we are not persecuted for our beliefs. It’s what allows us to individualize our avatars, signatures and public profiles to show our personalities. I think the administration have done a good job in stopping issues before they have gotten to out of hand. And you can always flag anything that is offensive.

As JacksMom so eloquently put it “ you can be enriched by knowing the world is made up of many different kinds of people and opinions.” Disagreement is a great learning experience. We just have to remember each one of us believes differently and it is OK to disagree as long as we show one another respect. We just need to voice our disagreement is an appropriate respectful non-attacking manner. And keep in mind to treat those are you wish to be treated yourself.

Last edited by PaperButterfly; 04-03-2009 at 04:56 PM..
PaperButterfly is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
ChihuahuaGrl16
Banned
ChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond repute

you know...this is a forum and there are going to be a THOUSAND different opinions from a THOUSAND different people and thats the way it is in the real world and i agree with what was said above : we may even change the way we think about something. and hopefully it is for the better because someone may have a very good explanation for something that might make you stop and think "huh...never thought of it that way before! okay, now i want to hear more!"
and if someone took away my ability to say certain things that are really okay, then it would change my personality completely and basically it would become a dictatorship.
I think PaperButterfly has really said it all and JacksMom too...there really isn't a much better way to say or explain it all
I think that a way to reduce arguments in the forum is also not to pick one person out and like, ambush them, you know what i mean? Like if you know one particular subject is a HUGE controversy then stay out of it if you have nothing productive to say.
I guess I'm having trouble trying to say because my allergies have completely clouded my mind all day but i think i've gotten my basic point across

God Bless & Have a Happy Eco-Friendly Day everyone!
ChihuahuaGrl16 is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #23
KellanluvsmecuzI'm
Gifted

twilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guide

The should do this! Especially, I'm sorry other twilighters, but with twilight. Sometimes there will be so many posts about this in the open mike too, it just gets all clogged up with Twilight.

Fighting is becoming a lot more popular! I saw one person, who randomly came up to a person, insulted them, and then caused a fight! I thought WI was to have fun, and make friends, not to be hurt and make enemies! So many awesome ideas, so few can be put to use! But like always, we should let one of the Head Honchos take a look a this thread.
twilightcrz is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #24
Autism Awareness
Gift Guru

JacksMom challenges the impossibleJacksMom challenges the impossible

Another great way to reduce arguments is to disagree with WORDS, not PEOPLE. I can like, respect, admire you as a person and still disagree with what you say. The difference is that the disagreement is not a value judgment of you as a person, but a simple "parting of ways" on interpretation of ideas.
JacksMom is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #25
Gift Guru

TexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roost

I understand what you mean about disagreements being productive. But like if it was really causing trouble, and almost every time it was brought up, a fight would break out (I can think of some topics off the top of my head) I understand that people are going to disagree, and I am not saying that we should all have to agree on everything, and that everything that causes a disagreement should be restricted, but only really controversial topics that cause majority of arguments. This would also save you staff members from having to close and delete so many threads

View Post Originally Posted by ChihuahuaGrl16
you know...this is a forum and there are going to be a THOUSAND different opinions from a THOUSAND different people and thats the way it is in the real world and i agree with what was said above : we may even change the way we think about something. and hopefully it is for the better because someone may have a very good explanation for something that might make you stop and think "huh...never thought of it that way before! okay, now i want to hear more!"
and if someone took away my ability to say certain things that are really okay, then it would change my personality completely and basically it would become a dictatorship.

I think PaperButterfly has really said it all and JacksMom too...there really isn't a much better way to say or explain it all
I think that a way to reduce arguments in the forum is also not to pick one person out and like, ambush them, you know what i mean?Like if you know one particular subject is a HUGE controversy then stay out of it if you have nothing productive to say.
I guess I'm having trouble trying to say because my allergies have completely clouded my mind all day but i think i've gotten my basic point across

God Bless & Have a Happy Eco-Friendly Day everyone!
The topics may only seem "okay" to you because you enjoy that certain thing. Back to the example, orange juice. The people who LOVE orange juice are of course going to think that the restriction shouldn't be made, and that "Geesh I should be able to talk about orange juice if I want." My idea (this is just my personal view, maybe we don't look at things the same way) would keep both sides happy. You just couldn't say it everywhere. No dictatorship would be created. Plus, your ability would not be completely demolished, you would be aloud to discuss it, just not without bugging or making others feel upset/uncomfortable/mad/etc

Last edited by TexasGirl8; 04-03-2009 at 07:34 PM..
TexasGirl8 is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
Autism Awareness
Gift Guru

View Post Originally Posted by TexasGirl8
I understand what you mean about disagreements being productive. But like if it was really causing trouble, and almost every time it was brought up, a fight would break out (I can think of some topics off the top of my head) I understand that people are going to disagree, and I am not saying that we should all have to agree on everything, and that everything that causes a disagreement should be restricted, but only really controversial topics that cause majority of arguments. This would also save you staff members from having to close and delete so many threads
I definitely hear what you're saying, and I agree TexasGirl. I think my point about arguing was separate from your point about certain topics. I was sort of adding on to what you said, discussing the bigger issue of why people argue here.

Thanks for the suggestion!
JacksMom is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #27
Gift Guru

TexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roostTexasGirl8 rules the roost

View Post Originally Posted by JacksMom
I definitely hear what you're saying, and I agree TexasGirl. I think my point about arguing was separate from your point about certain topics. I was sort of adding on to what you said, discussing the bigger issue of why people argue here.

Thanks for the suggestion!
lol, I came here and was confused because it was getting slightly irrelevant. Thanks for adding to the point, and you're welcome! Enjoy your weekend!
TexasGirl8 is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #28
Gift Guru

PaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roostPaperButterfly rules the roost

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by TexasGirl8
You have a very valid point, well said. Some topics are very controversial. And some people don’t always state their opinions in a non-inflammatory way. I just wanted to point out the bigger picture of where censorship can sometimes lead. Sometimes things start out small but then the snowball effect kicks in and I wouldn’t want to see too many “controversial topics” to get buried in one particular forum.

I definitely hear you about trying to keep all sides happy. I think that is the key to this all. We just have to be careful to distinguish between the topics that just “bug'” us and those that are truly offensive or controversial. I can see how those topics that are more controversial could use a second look at. Sometimes that balance is just tricky to find.

I do however think what everyone is trying to say is relevant. I think everyone in their own way is trying to express how cautiously and carefully this topic needs to be considered.

By the way, very thought provoking thread!!
PaperButterfly is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #29
ChihuahuaGrl16
Banned
ChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by PaperButterfly
You have a very valid point, well said. Some topics are very controversial. And some people don’t always state their opinions in a non-inflammatory way. I just wanted to point out the bigger picture of where censorship can sometimes lead. Sometimes things start out small but then the snowball effect kicks in and I wouldn’t want to see too many “controversial topics” to get buried in one particular forum.

I definitely hear you about trying to keep all sides happy. I think that is the key to this all. We just have to be careful to distinguish between the topics that just “bug'” us and those that are truly offensive or controversial. I can see how those topics that are more controversial could use a second look at. Sometimes that balance is just tricky to find.

I do however think what everyone is trying to say is relevant. I think everyone in their own way is trying to express how cautiously and carefully this topic needs to be considered.

By the way, very thought provoking thread!!
very well put! we have to stop being soo "nit-picky" (as my mom puts it!) and just be happy and look past some stuff. Like i have a saying about Bon Jovi in my siggy and someone randomly put a mean comment on my profile once about that! Stuff like that is unneccessary and it's not hurting anyone is it? Nope, didn't think so. Neither is religious talk. I guess that is my biggest thing: why can't i have a general discussion about religion or church with my friends , hmmm? some people make such a big deal over something that i see as an everyday topic...? once again like paperbutterfly said: "we just have to becareful to distinguish between the topics that bug us and tose that are truly offensive or controversial."
ChihuahuaGrl16 is offline Female
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #30
cascas90
Webkinz :)

cascas90 is on a distinguished road

Good idea
I do not like arguments
cascas90 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
code orange, pounder