Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
Gifted

MegMeg is a creator of wonder
MegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonder

Lightbulb Want to be a good poll taker? Use the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method!

Ok so I noticed how hurtful it might seem to a poller when someone answers negatively with a simple "It's okay," or "It's not that cute," etc. but I have created a simple system to giving your opinion in a more gentle and good-natured way.

Click the image to open in full size.

I will now explain each letter:

O (Opinion)- This is your opening statement where you say your opinion.
Example: "I don't like it too much."

C (Compliment)- This is were you explain your opinon.
Example: "I think its just the color, it's a great car."

T (Truth)- The biggest reason you don't like it.
Example: "Besides I wouldn't mind driving the car, but OVERALL its not my style exactly.

O (Observations)-Name a few things that stand out.
Example: "I can tell you worked very hard on the graphics. I also noticed how long it must have taken you to get the animation down."

P (Positive)- Turn negative comments positive.
Example: "The seats are leather, that's kind of stuck up to me, but fur covered sheets are totally chic and would totally bring out the car's looks drastically."

U (Utilitarianism)-This word means "greatest good for greatest amount of people" so make sure its a general opinion.
Example: "I'm sure many people would agree that New Moon was an awesome movie, but in my opinion, it was OKAY, but better than Twilight."

S (Sweet and Simple)-End with a short signoff.
Example: Thanks for hearing me out~MegMeg

So here it is in a situation where the movie "New Moon" is discussed (this isn't my real opinion just an example):

I honestly do not like the Twilight Series, I'm not a big fan of romance. I'm more of an action person, but I think it has a good plot overall. The main issue I have is how the book is souly based on the Edward-Bella-Jacob relationships and nothing more, but a few times I admit they do talk about action-packed werewolf scenes. I can tell that this movie will probably do better than "Twilight" and I notice that the series does well of merchandise, some of which I find cute. I think that Bella being extremely in love with him is kinda weird, but then again, I am not one to judge as one day I might be in love. At least they are loving towards each other. In my opinion, New Moon is below mediocre, but I can see that it has its ups and downs.

Thank you for letting me voice my opinion

MegMeg
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Melody is my
Banned
Sgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: Want to be a good poll taker? Use the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method!

Great thread!
I love your Octopus Method! xD
Sgarabo is offline Female
Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
ave
Banned
ave is a WI addict!
ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!

Donation Award 

MegMeg, this is a GREAT idea. "The Octopus Method" -- how creative!

Last edited by ave; 12-06-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
♥YOU should smile♥
Gift Guru

b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness
b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness

Very good guide! I've been seeing a lot of people just posting "ugh, I hate new moon."... they should follow the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method, everyone would be a lot happier that way! Great job!
b1uski3sxox is offline Male
Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Gift Guru

Shooting Star is a WI addict!
Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!

Great Thread! All those tips everyone should follow!
Shooting Star is offline Female
Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Gifted

MegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonderMegMeg is a creator of wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Sgarabo
Great thread!
I love your Octopus Method! xD
View Post Originally Posted by ave
MegMeg, this is a GREAT idea. "The Octupus Method" -- how creative!
View Post Originally Posted by b1uski3sxox
Very good guide! I've been seeing a lot of people just posting "ugh, I hate new moon."... they should follow the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method, everyone would be a lot happier that way! Great job!
Thanks so much! I'm getting a little tired of peple just randomly putting "I don't like it." instead of a reasonable "I don't really like it, but you put a lot of effort into it, and a few things I like are----"
Old 12-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Melody is my
Banned
Sgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with graceSgarabo wears the mantle of perfection with grace

View Post Originally Posted by MegMeg
Thanks so much! I'm getting a little tired of peple just randomly putting "I don't like it." instead of a reasonable "I don't really like it, but you put a lot of effort into it, and a few things I like are----"
Yeah...it is mean and what if the person who made the poll put a lot of effort into it (like you said) and they were all excited, they just made a new poll and that just tore them down?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Gifted

View Post Originally Posted by Sgarabo
Yeah...it is mean and what if the person who made the poll put a lot of effort into it (like you said) and they were all excited, they just made a new poll and that just tore them down?
Especially when its about a homemade avatar because those take a LOT of time and effort to make and a simple "I don't think its that good" isn't going to influence them to make more
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Melody is my
Banned

Especially when its about a homemade avatar because those take a LOT of time and effort to make and a simple "I don't think its that good" isn't going to influence them to make more
I don't lie if I don't think it's the best I would say like "It's alright. I like how you colored the 'blah blah blah'" or whatever but not "It's bad. I would never use it." << that is M-E-A-N.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Gift Guru

Shooting Star is a WI addict!
Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!Shooting Star is a WI addict!

Yeah, I always feel upset if someone says that to someone else. ):
Shooting Star is offline Female
Closed

Tags
bob ♥ loves maddie, hurricanes, smells like purple