Webkinz Insider Forum

Webkinz Insider Forum (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/)
-   WI Rules & Suggestions (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/wi-rules-suggestions-131/)
-   -   Want to be a good poll taker? Use the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method! (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/wi-rules-suggestions-131/want-good-poll-taker-use-o-581245/)

MegMeg12-06-2009 05:21 PM

Want to be a good poll taker? Use the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method!

Ok so I noticed how hurtful it might seem to a poller when someone answers negatively with a simple "It's okay," or "It's not that cute," etc. but I have created a simple system to giving your opinion in a more gentle and good-natured way.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ewcg9z.jpg

I will now explain each letter:

O (Opinion)- This is your opening statement where you say your opinion.
Example: "I don't like it too much."

C (Compliment)- This is were you explain your opinon.
Example: "I think its just the color, it's a great car."

T (Truth)- The biggest reason you don't like it.
Example: "Besides I wouldn't mind driving the car, but OVERALL its not my style exactly.

O (Observations)-Name a few things that stand out.
Example: "I can tell you worked very hard on the graphics. I also noticed how long it must have taken you to get the animation down."

P (Positive)- Turn negative comments positive.
Example: "The seats are leather, that's kind of stuck up to me, but fur covered sheets are totally chic and would totally bring out the car's looks drastically."

U (Utilitarianism)-This word means "greatest good for greatest amount of people" so make sure its a general opinion.
Example: "I'm sure many people would agree that New Moon was an awesome movie, but in my opinion, it was OKAY, but better than Twilight."

S (Sweet and Simple)-End with a short signoff.
Example: Thanks for hearing me out~MegMeg :)

So here it is in a situation where the movie "New Moon" is discussed (this isn't my real opinion just an example):

I honestly do not like the Twilight Series, I'm not a big fan of romance. I'm more of an action person, but I think it has a good plot overall. The main issue I have is how the book is souly based on the Edward-Bella-Jacob relationships and nothing more, but a few times I admit they do talk about action-packed werewolf scenes. I can tell that this movie will probably do better than "Twilight" and I notice that the series does well of merchandise, some of which I find cute. I think that Bella being extremely in love with him is kinda weird, but then again, I am not one to judge as one day I might be in love. At least they are loving towards each other. In my opinion, New Moon is below mediocre, but I can see that it has its ups and downs.

Thank you for letting me voice my opinion :)

MegMeg

Sgarabo12-06-2009 05:33 PM

Re: Want to be a good poll taker? Use the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method!

Great thread!
I love your Octopus Method! xD

ave12-06-2009 05:33 PM

MegMeg, this is a GREAT idea. "The Octopus Method" -- how creative! ;D

b1uski3sxox12-06-2009 05:33 PM

Very good guide! I've been seeing a lot of people just posting "ugh, I hate new moon."... they should follow the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method, everyone would be a lot happier that way! ;D Great job!

Shooting Star12-06-2009 05:40 PM

Great Thread! All those tips everyone should follow!

MegMeg12-06-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgarabo (Post 17414388)
Great thread!
I love your Octopus Method! xD

Quote:

Originally Posted by ave (Post 17414394)
MegMeg, this is a GREAT idea. "The Octupus Method" -- how creative! ;D

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1uski3sxox (Post 17414395)
Very good guide! I've been seeing a lot of people just posting "ugh, I hate new moon."... they should follow the O-C-T-O-P-U-S method, everyone would be a lot happier that way! ;D Great job!

Thanks so much! I'm getting a little tired of peple just randomly putting "I don't like it." instead of a reasonable "I don't really like it, but you put a lot of effort into it, and a few things I like are----"

Sgarabo12-06-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMeg (Post 17414516)
Thanks so much! I'm getting a little tired of peple just randomly putting "I don't like it." instead of a reasonable "I don't really like it, but you put a lot of effort into it, and a few things I like are----"

Yeah...it is mean and what if the person who made the poll put a lot of effort into it (like you said) and they were all excited, they just made a new poll and that just tore them down?

MegMeg12-06-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgarabo (Post 17414595)
Yeah...it is mean and what if the person who made the poll put a lot of effort into it (like you said) and they were all excited, they just made a new poll and that just tore them down?

Especially when its about a homemade avatar because those take a LOT of time and effort to make and a simple "I don't think its that good" isn't going to influence them to make more :(

Sgarabo12-06-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMeg (Post 17414648)
Especially when its about a homemade avatar because those take a LOT of time and effort to make and a simple "I don't think its that good" isn't going to influence them to make more :(

I don't lie if I don't think it's the best I would say like "It's alright. :) I like how you colored the 'blah blah blah'" or whatever but not "It's bad. I would never use it." << that is M-E-A-N.

Shooting Star12-06-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMeg (Post 17414648)

Yeah, I always feel upset if someone says that to someone else. ):