Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #61
Chinese people are
Gifted

yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!

Default Re: Try to use proper English when posting

I text speak sometimes, but only for BRB [be right back], g2g [got to go], and usually LOL [laughing out loud]. But I try to spell everything else out.

But I agree! Most times people text me and I don;t know what it means. I hate when they do that!
yingxi is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #62
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by WhiteTerrierFan
I agree, posts are much easier to read when proper English is used. I have to say, I have a really tough time trying to read some posts because they either talk in chat speak or have so many misspelled words and missing punctuation. I usually just give up on reading them and move on. It's a hassle to have to sit there and try to decipher what something that isn't properly typed says. This thread will be very helpful for a lot of people!! Every time I see improper grammar, I feel the need to correct it. [rep to you!]
Hi whiteterrier!

I usually give up on those too. Although they might be good posts, I just have to skip them because it's one big chunk of text that I can't decipher. I also feel the need to correct it; it's just something like I have to do, if you know what I mean

Thanks for posting!

---------- Dogluver620 added 1 Minutes and 9 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by yingxi
I text speak sometimes, but only for BRB [be right back], g2g [got to go], and usually LOL [laughing out loud]. But I try to spell everything else out.

But I agree! Most times people text me and I don;t know what it means. I hate when they do that!
Hi yingxi!

I think that common abbreviations are okay to use also. If most people know what it means, there's really no question about it. I always get texts from my friends that I have no clue what they're talking about. Sometimes I have to text back asking, "What?"

Last edited by Dogluver620; 02-14-2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #63
Anti Twilight.
Webkinz :)

lizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
Hi, and thank you for looking! First of all, I've noticed that a lot of people are posting in "text speak", such as plz, thx, and many others. I understand why you do that because using text speak can become a habit, but try using proper English when you're posting. It looks like you've taken more time to think about it and it does look neater. I use text speak when I use my phone because there's a limited amount of characters, but here you can write as much as you want. I'm not saying that text speak shouldn't be allowed (I do use LOL and JK a lot) but typing out things could be easier to read and understand. Adding sentence punctuation would be nice also (period, capitalization, capitalize proper nouns).
~
Dixiecup also mentioned that for some people, English is not their first language. I understand that if English isn't your first language, it'll be harder for you. However, for those that DO speak English fluently, it will be easier for the people who don't know English that well to read sentences, not just run-ons/fragments/abbreviations. It's also good practice.

Here are some of the most mistyped/not written out words I've seen:

1. too- used in, for example, "Me too!"
2. to- used in, for example, "I am going to New York."
3. you're- This is a conjuction, meaning "you are."
4. plz- please
5. thx- Thanks
6. there- Used to describe a place, such as, "Over there!" (thanks badena2!)
7. their- Used to describe someone, like "Their socks are so cool!" (thanks badena2!)
8. they're- A conjuction, meaning "there are." (thanks badena2!)
9. it's- also conjunction, means "it is."

~

Also, run-ons sentences are hard to read. An example is this: (thanks montanarose9) hi my name is bob i like webkinz who doesnt they are the coolest dont you think ok bye see you later

Every time I read one of those, I think, "Huh?" and spend about 5 minutes trying to decipher it. A better way of putting it would be, "Hi, my name is Bob! I like Webkinz, but who doesn't? I think they are the coolest, don't you think? I have to go, see you later!"

~

Of course, I don't expect everyone to try to follow this. This is just an example and if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post it. Just to clear things up (just in case), this is JUST A SUGGESTION. I'm not trying to say EVERYONE should use proper grammar, English, etc., but it's nice if you could

I do try to reply to every post, but sometimes there are too many to reply to at once. I'm sorry if I don't reply to yours
Rep!
I agree it really annoys me when i see a post like this: "Ur soxs r so k%l!"
Instead of: "Your socks are so cool!"
lizzyxwebkinz is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #64

mayflower64 is on a distinguished road

i do that a lot i should try and stop!! people probley don't understand!!
mayflower64 is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #65
I'm leaving Webkinz

WebkinzandMe will become famous soon enough

If you dont use proper English, you will get a refferal and might get banned
WebkinzandMe is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #66
Don't get knarky wit

Lyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clown

Quote:
Lyssa- I agree with you 100%. When writing essays, do you substitute "you" for "u" or "are" for "r"? I also agree that it makes it harder for not only people fluent in English, but for people with English as their second language. It also IS more polite to type it out.
Exactly! If people write like that, it might make others think that they could care less about anything, and is that the impression you would like to make on yourself? Most people would say 'no'!
Lyssa45 is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #67
Excited to be a
Banned
TrinityTulip is a glorious beacon of lightTrinityTulip is a glorious beacon of lightTrinityTulip is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so much for posting this! I always see people adding letters to words. Maybe they think it looks cool or they are trying to write it like it sounds but it is really annoying to read. I saw a post earlier where every word had an extra letter. Just a tip if you are not sure how a word is spelled and it shows up with a red underline you can right click the word to get a spell check list. Also I am not sure if this is anyone eases pet peeve but spelling cool like kewl it just looks yucky.
TrinityTulip is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #68
♥DREAM♥ of bunnies

swimfast551 is just really niceswimfast551 is just really nice

Aww darn, I ♥ txt talk! I mean seriouslly! The only time i don't is in my stories and what not.
swimfast551 is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #69

gigiluvr25 is a jewel in the roughgigiluvr25 is a jewel in the rough

Good points!
It's just easier to read proper English, and it makes the threads look nicer.
=] Rep for you!
gigiluvr25 is offline Female
Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #70
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by lizzyxwebkinz
Rep!
I agree it really annoys me when i see a post like this: "Ur soxs r so k%l!"
Instead of: "Your socks are so cool!"

Thanks for your input! That's a great example!

---------- Dogluver620 added 2 Minutes and 13 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by mayflower64
i do that a lot i should try and stop!! people probley don't understand!!

Hi mayflower! No, I'm not saying you have to stop; that's entirely your own decision. Thanks for posting your opinion!

---------- Dogluver620 added 5 Minutes and 9 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by WebkinzandMe
If you dont use proper English, you will get a refferal and might get banned
Hi WebkinzandMe! I'm sorry- what did you mean?

---------- Dogluver620 added 23 Minutes and 11 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by Lyssa45
Exactly! If people write like that, it might make others think that they could care less about anything, and is that the impression you would like to make on yourself? Most people would say 'no'!
Good point, Lyssa!

---------- Dogluver620 added 1 Minutes and 17 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by TrinityTulip
Thank you so much for posting this! I always see people adding letters to words. Maybe they think it looks cool or they are trying to write it like it sounds but it is really annoying to read. I saw a post earlier where every word had an extra letter. Just a tip if you are not sure how a word is spelled and it shows up with a red underline you can right click the word to get a spell check list. Also I am not sure if this is anyone eases pet peeve but spelling cool like kewl it just looks yucky.
That's interesting! I never knew about the Spell Check thing. I just tried it out and works Thanks for telling us! I will add that to the front post. I understand your pet peeve of misspelled words or sentences with no punctuation because I feel the same.

---------- Dogluver620 added 0 Minutes and 47 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by swimfast551
Aww darn, I ♥ txt talk! I mean seriouslly! The only time i don't is in my stories and what not.
I think that if you use proper punctuation/English in your stories, that's good. But sometimes people overuse it, if you know what I mean.

---------- Dogluver620 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by gigiluvr25
Good points!
It's just easier to read proper English, and it makes the threads look nicer.
=] Rep for you!
I agree with you! It does make threads look nicer and not so messy. Thanks!

Last edited by Dogluver620; 02-15-2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Closed