Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #111
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

Default Re: Try to use proper English when posting

View Post Originally Posted by katluvr23
i totally agree. rep point for you
Thank you for posting!
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #112
e all love our
Webkinz :)

fluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant future

I agree completely, it gets so hard to read! (and thanks for pointing out about that spell check!)
fluffypup is offline Female
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #113
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by fluffypup
I agree completely, it gets so hard to read! (and thanks for pointing out about that spell check!)
Thanks fluffypup!

And actually, TrinityTulip pointed it out to me- I never knew about that either! It's handy, isn't it?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #114
e all love our

fluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant future

yes very! I was always looking for a spell check, and now I have one!
fluffypup is offline Female
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #115
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

View Post Originally Posted by fluffypup
yes very! I was always looking for a spell check, and now I have one!
It's great also because it works on all browsers (I'm pretty sure it does.)
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #116
Excited to be a
Banned
TrinityTulip is a glorious beacon of lightTrinityTulip is a glorious beacon of lightTrinityTulip is a glorious beacon of light

View Post Originally Posted by lexi18216
Ever since joining WI in July of 07 my grammar has gotten alot better!

Thanks for the reminder! rep
That is awesome you should be so proud of yourself. You don't want that to become a habit when you get older.
TrinityTulip is offline Female
Old 02-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #117

Addykinz will become famous soon enough

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
Hi, and thank you...(I do use LOL and JK a lot)...
What does "JK" mean? Plus, I tried to download wi's spell checker and it would not? Thank you, kindly.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the poor grammar & bad spelling on Webkinz?

Thanks Ritzcracker! I need a handbook for the initials & text talk. I'm so low-tech, LOL.

Last edited by Addykinz; 02-17-2009 at 04:11 AM..
Addykinz is offline Female
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #118

Ritzcracker is stuck on replay
Ritzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replay

JK stands for "just kidding".

My personal peeve is when people use "they" or "their" as the pronoun for a singular person. Unfortunately Webkinz has that one all over the place, such as the fashion class telling you that "A" model will come out and try to memorize what "THEY" are wearing, or in the academy where Ms Cowoline always refers to your PET as THEY. (What exactly are they teaching in that academy anyways??)
Ritzcracker is offline Female
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #119
MicsKinz
Gift Guru

AddictedMom has much to be proud ofAddictedMom has much to be proud ofAddictedMom has much to be proud ofAddictedMom has much to be proud ofAddictedMom has much to be proud of

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
Hi, and thank you for looking! First of all, I've noticed that a lot of people are posting in "text speak", such as plz, thx, and many others. I understand why you do that because using text speak can become a habit, but try using proper English when you're posting. It looks like you've taken more time to think about it and it does look neater. I use text speak when I use my phone because there's a limited amount of characters, but here you can write as much as you want. I'm not saying that text speak shouldn't be allowed (I do use LOL and JK a lot) but typing out things could be easier to read and understand. Adding sentence punctuation would be nice also (period, capitalization, capitalize proper nouns).

~
Dixiecup also mentioned that for some people, English is not their first language. I understand that if English isn't your first language, it'll be harder for you. However, for those that DO speak English fluently, it will be easier for the people who don't know English that well to read sentences, not just run-ons/fragments/abbreviations. It's also good practice for writing essays, stories, and just about any other formal writing.

Here are some of the most misused/not written out words I've seen:

1. too- used in, for example, "Me too!"
2. to- used in, for example, "I am going to New York."
3. you're- This is a conjuction, meaning "you are."
4. plz- please
5. thx- Thanks
6. there- Used to describe a place, such as, "Over there!" (thanks badena2!)
7. their- Used to describe someone, like "Their socks are so cool!" (thanks badena2!)
8. they're- A conjuction, meaning "they are." (thanks badena2!)
9. it's- also a conjunction, means "it is."
10. is: Used when you compare one subject, such as: She (one subject) is a WI member.
11. are: Used to compare two subjects, such as: They (two or more subjects) are WI members.

*If you're unsure about the spelling, try typing it out. Then right click it (CTL+Click for Mac users) for an automatic spell check. (Thanks Trinity!)

~

Also, run-ons sentences are hard to read. An example is this: (thanks montanarose9) hi my name is bob i like webkinz who doesnt they are the coolest dont you think ok bye see you later

Every time I read one of those, I think, "Huh?" and spend about 5 minutes trying to decipher it. A better way of putting it would be, "Hi, my name is Bob! I like Webkinz, but who doesn't? I think they are the coolest, don't you think? I have to go, see you later!"

~

Of course, I don't expect everyone to try to follow this. This is just an example and if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post it. Just to clear things up (just in case), this is JUST A SUGGESTION. I'm not trying to say EVERYONE should use proper grammar, English, etc., but it's nice if you could

I do try to reply to every post, but sometimes there are too many to reply to at once. I'm sorry if I don't reply to yours
I agree with this, especially since it is one of the requirements for becoming a Gift Trainee. While I don't mind some text-speak and a few run-on sentences now and then, it does bug me when someone uses them over and over. I can handle no capitalization because I know that it is hard when you are using a cell phone or iPod.

If a poster's first language isn't English, it's pretty obvious. There is certainly no need to make fun of them. If the post is readable, it works for me!

I do agree that slang/text-speak in general is creating bad habits in our children (and adults). All the examples you've listed are misused every day.

I do have a correction to make to your list, though.

In regards to the "conjunctions" you've listed, they aren't conjunctions. They are contractions. A contraction is made up of two words that are shortened into one, and the removed letter(s) are replaced by an apostrophe. A conjunction is a word that joins together parts of a sentence. And, but, or, nor, and though are commonly used conjunctions. (Conjunction Junction, what's your function? uh....sorry..)

But all in all, a very informative post. And you've gotten many great opinions on the subject. Thank you for posting this!

(I do not claim to have perfect spelling or grammar in any of my posts. I normally would never correct a poster because I know proofreading is hard and a lot (never "alot") of times people are in a hurry.)

Rep to you!!
AddictedMom is offline Female
Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #120

Addykinz will become famous soon enough

Smile Re: Try to use proper English when posting

View Post Originally Posted by Ritzcracker
JK stands for "just kidding". Thank you.

My personal peeve is when people use "they" or "their" as the pronoun for a singular person. Unfortunately Webkinz has that one all over the place, such as the fashion class telling you that "A" model will come out and try to memorize what "THEY" are wearing, or in the academy where Ms Cowoline always refers to your PET as THEY. (What exactly are they teaching in that academy anyways??)

Great question, LOL! Have you noticed how bad it is in Quizzy's, too? "The Academy" is one of my pet peeves on , , even though my daughter excels at doing what's-her-face's hair. What's really scary is she wants to fix my hair after she plays the game, eek!
Addykinz is offline Female
Closed