Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

Default Try to use proper English when posting

Hi, and thank you for looking! First of all, I've noticed that a lot of people are posting in "text speak", such as plz, thx, and many others. I understand why you do that because using text speak can become a habit, but try using proper English when you're posting. It looks like you've taken more time to think about it and it does look neater. I use text speak when I use my phone because there's a limited amount of characters, but here you can write as much as you want. I'm not saying that text speak shouldn't be allowed (I do use LOL and JK a lot) but typing out things could be easier to read and understand. Adding sentence punctuation would be nice also (period, capitalization, capitalize proper nouns).
~
Dixiecup also mentioned that for some people, English is not their first language. I understand that if English isn't your first language, it'll be harder for you. However, for those that DO speak English fluently, it will be easier for the people who don't know English that well to read sentences, not just run-ons/fragments/abbreviations. It's also good practice for writing essays, stories, and just about any other formal writing.

Here are some of the most misused/not written out words I've seen:

1. too- used in, for example, "Me too!"
2. to- used in, for example, "I am going to New York."
3. you're- This is a contraction, meaning "you are."
4. plz- please
5. thx- Thanks
6. there- Used to describe a place, such as, "Over there!" (thanks badena2!)
7. their- Used to describe someone, like "Their socks are so cool!" (thanks badena2!)
8. they're- A contraction, meaning "they are." (thanks badena2!)
9. it's- also a contraction, means "it is."
10. is: Used when you compare one subject, such as: She (one subject) is a WI member.
11. are: Used to compare two subjects, such as: They (two or more subjects) are WI members.

*If you're unsure about the spelling, try typing it out. Then right click it (CTL+Click for Mac users) for an automatic spell check. (Thanks Trinity!)

~

Also, run-ons sentences are hard to read. An example is this: (thanks montanarose9) hi my name is bob i like webkinz who doesnt they are the coolest dont you think ok bye see you later

Every time I read one of those, I think, "Huh?" and spend about 5 minutes trying to decipher it. A better way of putting it would be, "Hi, my name is Bob! I like Webkinz, but who doesn't? I think they are the coolest, don't you think? I have to go, see you later!"

~

Of course, I don't expect everyone to try to follow this. This is just an example and if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post it. Just to clear things up (just in case), this is JUST A SUGGESTION. I'm not trying to say EVERYONE should use proper grammar, English, etc., but it's nice if you could

I do try to reply to every post, but sometimes there are too many to reply to at once. I'm sorry if I don't reply to yours

Last edited by Dogluver620; 02-18-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
no
Webkinz :)

badena2 defies all oddsbadena2 defies all odds
badena2 defies all odds

Smile Re: Try to use proper English when posting

I know, it can be easier! But, on somebody elses profile you could do that, but in the forums, you should post in sentences with a capital and a period, question mark, or exclamation mark. Also, a lot of people get there, they're and their wrong, It won't let me give you a rep, I'll try later.
badena2 is offline Female
Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
uvs the weim

SOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonder

Default Re: Try to use proper English when posting

I agree. I also see a lot of this kind of posting and it gets on my nerves!-
"hey, wat is up? im gud"
SOSO910 is offline Female
Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
DuckKin is my userna
Gift Trainee

katykinz has a spectacular aura aboutkatykinz has a spectacular aura about

Great idea! This is a forum and if you're too lazy to type right, then-- DON'T TYPE AT ALL!
katykinz is offline Female
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
ants Diamond Apples!
Gifted

Jennifer36 defies all odds
Jennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all odds

Donation Award 

I agree! This is a good place to practice your writing skills and work to communicate better with your friends!
Jennifer36 is offline Female
Old 02-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by badena2
I know, it can be easier! But, on somebody elses profile you should do that, but in the forums, you should post in sentences with a capital and a period, question mark, or exclamation mark. Also, a lot of people get there, they're and their wrong,
I think that if you want to do it on someone's profile you can, but it shouldn't be a "should." I agree that "their, they're, and there" are also commonly misused. Thank you!

---------- Dogluver620 added 0 Minutes and 40 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by SOSO910
I agree. I also see a lot of this kind of posting and it gets on my nerves!-
"hey, wat is up? im gud"
I agree also! There is so much room here for them to post, why not use it? Thank you for your input

Last edited by Dogluver620; 02-14-2009 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
no

badena2 defies all oddsbadena2 defies all odds
badena2 defies all odds

Wink Re: Try to use proper English when posting

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
I think that if you want to do it on someone's profile you can, but it shouldn't be a "should." I agree that "their, they're, and there" are also commonly misused. Thank you!

---------- Dogluver620 added 0 Minutes and 40 Seconds later ----------

I agree also! There is so much room here for them to post, why not use it? Thank you for your input
I looked and then I edited it before you said that. Sorry.
badena2 is offline Female
Old 02-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

View Post Originally Posted by Jenifer36
I agree! This is a good place to practice your writing skills and work to communicate better with your friends!
Thank you for your input! I agree. I've also seen a study where people that always post in text speak use it in formal essays without realizing it as well.

---------- Dogluver620 added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by badena2
I looked and then I edited it before you said that. Sorry.
No problem! Thank you for letting me know

Last edited by Dogluver620; 02-14-2009 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
montanarose9

Yes! You should write in proper English!
Also run-on sentences are really hard to read, especially if they're long.
Ex-
Quote:
hi my name is bob i like webkinz who doesnt they are the coolest dont you think ok bye see you later
Old 02-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
HomieWHONK™ the
Gift Guru

View Post Originally Posted by montanarose9
Yes! You should write in proper English!
Also run-on sentences are really hard to read, especially if they're long.
Ex-
Very good example! Will add to first post Thank you for posting!
Closed