Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Webkinz :)
Ziffster is a jewel in the roughZiffster is a jewel in the rough

Question Is it Time for Fewer Forums?

Fewer Forums?

Maybe it is just me but it seems like over the past year especially that there would seem to be far less activity on WI - especially in the sub forums (like Special Events and Trading Cards for example). If activity is dropping (like it is on WW) I was thinking maybe it was time to merge various forums reducing the total number.

Why you may ask do I feel this way?

Simple - I rarely even bother to look at the low activity forums since they rarely have interesting new posts, I have started just reading the main forums. However, when I do go to one of these smaller forums to make a post I often find one or more interesting thread to read.

This would appear to be what many WI members are doing considering another trend I've noticed - when a thread is 'accidently' posted in the general diiscussion forum it receives a ton of reads and posts but as soon as it is moved by moderators to the correct forum activity drops right off.

Thinking about it - another idea would be to create new pseudo forums

NEW_WW - This would provide a composite of all new WW threads created in the last day (i.e. only WW site discussions not forums like Joe & this one)

HOT_WW - This would show and allowing posting to all extremely active threads (say all threads with 5 or more new posts in the last 24 hours)

That way those of us who may be in a rush but want to quickly check out whats new and hot we could just jump to these two sections, while if we wanted to create a new post or we wanted to look at older posts we could go to the indvidual forums.

What do you think?

Ziffster is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Is it Time for Fewer Forums?

Hmm..that's an interesting suggestion. I've noticed that with the 'News and Insider Info' section and the 'Special Events' section that seems to happen. The only thing is that the General Discussion section can tend to become a monster section if things don't get thinned out a bit. I know what you mean though. I've seen threads get moved, and then they just fizzle out, or get missed.
I don't know how I feel about your suggestion of having a New section or a Hot section. I have to think about that. I think that maybe the older threads would then be ignored, just like if they were moved into any other section. You know what I mean? Interesting points though.
I'm curious to see what others say.

Last edited by Desty; 04-23-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Desty is offline Female
Old 04-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Call me Pat!
Gift Guru

ClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tell
ClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tellClaraZ25 has too much Rep to tell

I kind of agree with you a little there are quite a few sub-folders around and sometimes I don't really visit them all that often. Maybe a few of the slower ones could be merged together.

As for the hot and new forums. I don't know if this would work great as a forum but rather just as a tool. Maybe if it was possible there could be a link under our PMs where it says Subscribed Threads and New Posts that said "Hot Topics".
ClaraZ25 is offline Male
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #4

View Post Originally Posted by ClaraZ25
I kind of agree with you a little there are quite a few sub-folders around and sometimes I don't really visit them all that often. Maybe a few of the slower ones could be merged together.

As for the hot and new forums. I don't know if this would work great as a forum but rather just as a tool. Maybe if it was possible there could be a link under our PMs where it says Subscribed Threads and New Posts that said "Hot Topics".
Thanks for better describing what I had intended to say by pseudo forum. A link under tools to 'Hot Topics' and 'New Topics' would be a great way of addressing it.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Banned
webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!
webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!

definitely. I <3 open mike but i never look at it cuz it's waaaaaayyyyyy down there.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness
MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
Hmm..that's an interesting suggestion. I've noticed that with the 'News and Insider Info' section and the 'Special Events' section that seems to happen. The only thing is that the General Discussion section can tend to become a monster section if things don't get thinned out a bit. I know what you mean though. I've seen threads get moved, and then they just fizzle out, or get missed.
I don't know how I feel about your suggestion of having a New section or a Hot section. I have to think about that. I think that maybe the older threads would then be ignored, just like if they were moved into any other section. You know what I mean? Interesting points though.
I'm curious to see what others say.
Agreed.
MeWuvKitties is offline Female
Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #7

Priceless has disabled reputation

I agree! Joining on with Pat, we could have a button next to a forum that says "HOT TOPIC!"
Priceless is offline Male
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
hat?!

Tcat77 is a glorious beacon of lightTcat77 is a glorious beacon of lightTcat77 is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's a good idea, some of the forums have tons of sub folders, but it seems like they were mainly made to keep everything orgainized. I think we just all need to look at forums we usually don't more
Tcat77 is offline Female
Old 04-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #9

Lightbulb Re: Is it Time for Fewer Forums?

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
That got me thinking - Maybe a more complete overhaul of the forums should be considered.

For example - rather than having under 'News & Insider Info' and then 'Special Events' under 'General Discussion' get rid of 'General Discussion' (since a lot of people think every post belongs there & admins seem to be routinely having to move posts from) and create a number of new grouped forums like:
  • Current Events (which would combine 'News' and 'Special Events' and maybe some of the others as well)
  • WebKinz Online (grouping threads about acivity inside WW grouping ones like 'Gaming', 'Clubhouse', etc.)
  • Webkinz Pets (for discussion of new pets / pet retirements/ etc.)
  • It's a Social Thing (grouping 'I'm Sam' and 'It's my Birthday' etc.)
Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!

I agree that some of the forums could actually be combined, but I'm sure it would start some confusion..
RexfordButchBD is offline Female
Closed