Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Gift Guru

curiousg has disabled reputation

WI Subscriber
Donation Level 2 
Default Suggestion: Not sure what ingredients to try on the stove today? Random combos of ingredients . . .

Want to solve recipes? Not sure what ingredients to try on the stove today?

It crossed my mind that I would like to have a place in wi where I could go and it would give me a random combination of ingredients to try for the purpose of solving recipes (I am particularly interested in this for solving super stove recipes, but it could be for the mega stove, the clothing machine, and the regular stove).

I am thinking there could be a place to go where a click of the mouse would randomly select three ingredients to use (it would have to be set up to avoid giving someone two of the same ingredients). Again I am most interested in having it tell me three combinations of ingredients to put on the super stove. It would be just fine if the randomizer gave me three ingredients in an already solved recipe sometimes because I think it is fun to see the solved ones too. (They make great gifts for your webkinz friends.)

My thought is that refreshing the page (or having an option to "pick a new random set of ingredients") would give a new combination to try. Also, there is a good chance that you might get a set of ingredients that has already been tried by wi members, but the fact that webkinz updates and adds new recipes means that it is not necessarily a bad thing to retry combinations.

If I am the only person who would enjoy having someone else tell me a combination of ingredients to try each day, please say so; it is OK. I can randomize myself, but I thought I would pose the idea anyway and see what others thought. [This is admittedly a much less effective way to solve recipes than using a strategies found in the recipe solving section of the forum.]

(Does this already exist? Has this already been suggested?)

Last edited by curiousg; 07-24-2010 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: very unclearly written, tried to improve
curiousg is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Webkinz :)
ptandme has a brilliant futureptandme has a brilliant futureptandme has a brilliant futureptandme has a brilliant futureptandme has a brilliant future

Default Re: Suggestion: Daily Recipe Randomizer (Random Combos that is . . .)

That is a really good idea. I do believe that WI used to have a "recipe of the day" on the recipe page but it is no longer there.

If there was a new recipe each day we would all get to try out all the recipes and see which are our pet's favorite.
ptandme is offline Female
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Gift Guru

WI Subscriber
Donation Level 2 
Default Re: Suggestion: Daily Recipe Randomizer (Random Combos that is . . .)

I was thinking of it as a random combination of ingredients rather than a solved recipe, but I like your idea too!

I've reworded and retitled my suggestion because I was unclear!

Last edited by curiousg; 07-24-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Fluffbunny
Gifted

fluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshine
fluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshine

Default Re: Suggestion: Not sure what ingredients to try on the stove today? Random combos of ingredients . . .

Well, the random combinations wouldn't really help. This isn't the webkinz website, so even if we did do this, our website wouldn't know how to solve the recipe. So it would be able to make already solved recipes (which we have an entire database of, so this isn't really neccessary), but it wouldn't know the answer to the unsolved recipes.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Gift Guru

WI Subscriber
Donation Level 2 
Default Re: Suggestion: Not sure what ingredients to try on the stove today? Random combos of ingredients . . .

Thanks for your response It's OK. I am thinking now that it is a bad idea, but it doesn't hurt to explore bad ideas, right?

I also see that I am still not being very clear. I do actually realize that you can't cook in webkinz insider

You would only be able to access the stove and the wshop in webkinz.

I would like to have automatic way to generate new ideas for myself for what combinations of ingredients to try - I know that only an individual person trying a combo in webkinz can solve the recipe.

You are absolutely correct, though, that people are already maintaining databases of combos that have been tried. So, you are absolutely correct that it might make a lot more sense to just stick with looking at those databases.

Here's what I was thinking for clarity. For example, with Excel, I can type in a list of all the ingredients in the wshop. (or I can paste in all the already solved recipes for randomization for the super stove.) Then, I can use a formula [for excel geeks, I would use =Rand()] to generate a random number, then drag down to assign every ingredient a number. I can then sort the items by the random number, and ta da, the first three ingredients can be my randomly chosen ingredients. I don't have to think, "hmm, which three ingredients should I try today?" instead, a computer would generate which three I should try. But a program can be written that is much simpler than what I do.

I can then go to webkinz and try those ingredients.

By the laws of probability I have some chance that those randomly selected items are correct for any of the unsolved recipes. Admittedly, it is a very very small probability, but for some of the super stove recipes, it seems really difficult to tell what might be in them!

I just thought it would be fun to be able to go to a place in wi where I could do that. Any person on the forum could get a suggested set of ingredients and in a small slow way, contribute to the list of combos that have been tried. People do already do this, but maybe it would be more habit-forming if there was somewhere to go each day where you were automatically given one new combo to try.

Scienter made a wonderful program for generating all possible combinations of ingredients, and this is sort of along that same line of thought.

I appreciate the two responses! If someone wants to think more about this idea, it will be here, but I am going to ask the moderators to close it.

While it would be fun for me, it is perhaps more effective for people to be using the strategy of looking at the lists of tried combos as already mentioned by fluffums.

Thanks for helping me think through this idea

Last edited by curiousg; 07-24-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Closed