Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Gifted

hpharrypotterhp is a forum hero
hpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum hero

Default Suggestion about long posts: please TRY to put reasonable spacing.

Hi guys! I've noticed some of you like to make long posts, especially when helping fellow members. this is GREAT! It's just that when you've written it like this:

Spoiler: show

Q: How do you Role Play?

A: Good question! role playing is very fun and entertaining. What you do to create a character is: you go to a thread, read the rules, pretty much make sure that you have a background image of the plot. There should be a form there for characters. What you do is fill out that form and PM/VM/post on the thread (whatever the owner wants) your form. And usually owners have a 'secret phrase' in the rules, that you post with your form to show you read the rules. Then, once the owner approves your character, you may start RPing! Role Playing is simple, you just go back and forth with your character and a different character, replying to what the other's post. You can do two of your characters together, but most people prefer to do it with another person's character(s). Also, two words that relate with RPing: PowerPlaying and Godmoding. PowerPlaying is when you control another person's character, or tell the other person what to do. Like 'Make Nikki fall and Tony will catch her.' If Tony is your character, and Nikki is someone else's, you are Powerplaying. Godmoding is when you render your character as 'invincible' or unable to die/get hurt or get defeated. Enjoy Role Playing!

Now, does that look very interesting? To me it doesn't. I don't think I would want to waste my time trying to read that big jumble of words.
But if you put correct spacing:

A: Good question! role playing is very fun and entertaining.
What you do to create a character is: you go to a thread, read the rules, pretty much make sure that you have a background image of the plot.
There should be a form there for characters. What you do is fill out that form and PM/VM/post on the thread (whatever the owner wants) your form. And usually owners have a 'secret phrase' in the rules, that you post with your form to show you read the rules.
Then, once the owner approves your character, you may start RPing! Role Playing is simple, you just go back and forth with your character and a different character, replying to what the other's post.
You can do two of your characters together, but most people prefer to do it with another person's character(s).

Also, two words that relate with RPing: PowerPlaying and Godmoding.
PowerPlaying is when you control another person's character, or tell the other person what to do. Like 'Make Nikki fall and Tony will catch her.' If Tony is your character, and Nikki is someone else's, you are Powerplaying.
Godmoding is when you render your character as 'invincible' or unable to die/get hurt or get defeated. Enjoy Role Playing!

I don't know about you, but that looks easier to read to me. The spacing makes it look more interesting. I seperated the different small topics by just putting it on a different line. I seperated the larger topics by skipping a line. It makes it easier to read in general.
But I wouldn't go too crazy with the spacing; it could look like this:

A: Good question! role playing is very fun and entertaining.

What you do to create a character is: you go to a thread, read the rules, pretty much make

sure that you have a background image of the plot.

There should be a form there for characters. What you do is fill out that form and

PM/VM/post on the thread (whatever the owner wants) your form. And usually owners have

a 'secret phrase' in the rules, that you post with your form to show you read the rules.

Then, once the owner approves your character, you may start RPing! Role Playing is simple,

you just go back and forth with your character and a different character, replying to what the

other's post. You can do two of your characters together, but most people prefer to do it

with another person's character(s).

Also, two words that relate with RPing: PowerPlaying

and Godmoding. PowerPlaying is when you control another person's character, or tell the

other person what to do. Like 'Make Nikki fall and Tony will catch her.'

If Tony is your

character, and Nikki is someone else's, you are Powerplaying.

Godmoding is when you

render your character as 'invincible' or unable to die/get hurt or get defeated. Enjoy Role

Playing!

but that would be OK if you just skipped one line in between your wording. NOT too much though. You could also use color to seperate your topics; that catches the readers attention. Like this:

A: Good question! role playing is very fun and entertaining. What you do to create a character is: you go to a thread, read the rules, pretty much make sure that you have a background image of the plot. There should be a form there for characters. What you do is fill out that form and PM/VM/post on the thread (whatever the owner wants) your form. And usually owners have a 'secret phrase' in the rules, that you post with your form to show you read the rules. Then, once the owner approves your character, you may start RPing! Role Playing is simple, you just go back and forth with your character and a different character, replying to what the other's post. You can do two of your characters together, but most people prefer to do it with another person's character(s). Also, two words that relate with RPing: PowerPlaying and Godmoding. PowerPlaying is when you control another person's character, or tell the other person what to do. Like 'Make Nikki fall and Tony will catch her.' If Tony is your character, and Nikki is someone else's, you are Powerplaying. Godmoding is when you render your character as 'invincible' or unable to die/get hurt or get defeated. Enjoy Role Playing!

I don't know about you, but that catches my attention pretty well.

One last time I have: Add smileys! those little animations help cheer someone up, and show you aren't annoyed.

(Sorry I had to put the examples in spoilers, it would've just been too long of a post)

Hope I helped,
~hpharrypotterhp

hpharrypotterhp is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
mommysaysim
Gifted

BackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledgeBackFlip15 flows towards the sea of knowledge

Default Re: Suggestion about long posts: please TRY to put reasonable spacing.

Before paragraph's maybe people could indent but i don't think that skipping lines is necessary. Maybe every paragraph you skip one

Great thread!

-Flips and Chips
BackFlip15 is offline Female
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Gifted

hpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum herohpharrypotterhp is a forum hero

Yes. But paragraphs oddly don't work on WI. The spaces just go back to the beginning. I am just a little confused about that. LOL
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

I think this should be stickied or soemthing. I do enjoy it when members post long, opinionated posts so others can share and we can have one nice big discussion <3 However, when it's all clumped up into one thing, it's easy to lose your place, then some people get frustrated and leave I lov eusing smileys, especially in posts where my opinion might be taken the wrong way by someone, smileys just show that I'm not mad or upset, that I just want to get the point across And WI's smileys are so cute!!
icecube730 is offline Female
Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Gifted

My point EXACTLY, icecube!
thank you!

anybody have a comment?

Last edited by hpharrypotterhp; 03-20-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Toph is a
Gift Guru

cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible
cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible

I try to "enter" Every few sentences -- good reminder!
cocogirl211 is offline Female
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Gifted

that's a good idea cocoa.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Just.Live.Life(as a)
Banned
puppiesrock465 is a glorious beacon of lightpuppiesrock465 is a glorious beacon of lightpuppiesrock465 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, great reminder! Sometimes it's really hard to read when it's, like, 7 sentences all in one be mess.

Did you know that our eyes actually like more white space on the page? It takes less effort to read it

~puppies
puppiesrock465 is offline Female
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Wordy Nerdy Birdy
Webkinz :)
Passerine is a jewel in the roughPasserine is a jewel in the rough

Very good point! Readability is an important part of communicating in text.

I know that when I see a huge unbroken block of text, I go 'gah, overload!' and am more likely not to read it. If I see a large amount of text nicely spaced into paragraphs, though.. my reaction is "Ooh! Looks like time and thought went into this; I bet it'll be interesting!" and zero in.

Your point about smileys is also a good one. Tone can be difficult to convey, and everything sounds harsher in writing. I need to remember to add smileys to my posts - I'm in the bad habit of leaving them out.
Passerine is offline Female
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Gifted

Thanks for posting guys, and puppies, I didn't know that!
Closed