Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

Question Sticky Threads

For those who don't know what I mean by sticky threads - these threads are the select few which always remain at the top of list of posts within a forum. For exampe, in this forum you have the ~~ WebkinzInsider Official Gift Exchange Information~~ thread which is a sticky.

The reason that a thread becomes a sticky appears straight forward enough - sticky posts are all well put together, informative, and of interest to a large portion of WI members. The need for sticky posts is also clear - with the shear number of threads opened each day these 'very usefull' threads would otherwise become lost.

Overall the current process by which sticky posts are selected is working very well. Whoever is responsible for the selection should be commended.

That said, I was wondering if there is currently (or if there could be) a way or members to nominate threads for sticky status?

The reason I ask is that I have recently read a few threads posts written by other members which I feel should be conisidered for sticky status, and a few which are currently 'sticky' which although obviously were very worthly of 'sticky' status at one time, but due to changes at WW or WI have become less relavant and perhaps should be removed or replaced by more current threads on the topic.

p.s. Part of the reason I ask is that another member indicated that they use the 'Red Flag' as a way of letting moderators know but I didn't feel that this was proper use ot the red flag.

Last edited by JustDad; 03-04-2010 at 09:50 PM..
JustDad is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Jesus 4 ever!

Kayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundKayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundKayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundKayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundKayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundKayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundKayrocks1 radiates beauty and kindness all around

Default Re: Sticky Threads

That would be a nice feature but it would sorta Hectic but it would be nice but Other People would Abuse that Ability... Nice Idea!
Kayrocks1 is offline Female
Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
uvs his wife andDD/S

CanesFan knows the way
CanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the way

I agree with Kayrocks. If there was a feature, there would be constant recommendations. If staff members see a thread that should be stickied, they will sticky it.
CanesFan is offline Male
Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

I agree with you that the current system of deciding which threads to 'sticky' is working well. I suppose you could PM an admin if you see a thread that you think should be considered.
Desty is offline Female
Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
webkinz_forever

This 'system' would get a billion nominations of threads that people's friends have made. The system that is used now is totally fine.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Gifted

wowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a hero
wowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a herowowewe was born a hero

View Post Originally Posted by webkinz_forever
This 'system' would get a billion nominations of threads that people's friends have made. The system that is used now is totally fine.
I agree . Although vBulletin might support it, it would get crazily out of hand.
wowewe is offline Female
Old 03-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
ebkinz Addict!
Gift Guru

kayembee is a genius through and through
kayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and throughkayembee is a genius through and through

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by JustDad

p.s. Part of the reason I ask is that another member indicated that they use the 'Red Flag' as a way of letting moderators know but I didn't feel that this was proper use ot the red flag.

Use of the red flag is basically just bringing something to the attention of the staff. It can be anything from an inappropriate post to a new pet, new item, new information, or in my case help. I have to 'red flag' my House Thread any time I want to change the title due to a system glitch. At times members will create a new thread with a "Help Mod/Admin" type title. It takes a lot longer for a staff member to spot that than a flagged thread.

The 'red flag' can be used for a multitude of things, not just reporting bad posts.
kayembee is offline Female
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
FIA
FluffyInAlabama
Gift Guru

FIA has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by kayembee
Use of the red flag is basically just bringing something to the attention of the staff. It can be anything from an inappropriate post to a new pet, new item, new information, or in my case help. I have to 'red flag' my House Thread any time I want to change the title due to a system glitch. At times members will create a new thread with a "Help Mod/Admin" type title. It takes a lot longer for a staff member to spot that than a flagged thread.

The 'red flag' can be used for a multitude of things, not just reporting bad posts.
kayembee is 100% correct.

If someone starts using the red-flag for things they shouldn't, we'll let them know.
FIA is offline Female
Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
COWS4YOU

COWS4YOU has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by kayembee

This is correct. When you flag something, it takes us right there instead of us trying to locate the thread, then find the post.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

View Post Originally Posted by webkinz_forever
I use to feel like you do - that it would overwhelm the mods - that is is until I saw how anothe site handled it with the site's software 'filtering' the process with a set of rules. The rules they used were:
  • Only members who had posted a minimum number of posts could vote;
  • Each member was only allowed one vote each day;
  • Each member could only vote on a thread once;
  • They thread had to be 'active' (closed threads were ineligable);
  • Five votes were required before a thread was nominated;
  • A thread could only be nominated once.
Even then all it did was flag to the Admin/Mod that the thread was nominated - the Admin/Mod would then make the descision whether to make the thread a sticky.

A similar 'vote' system was used to flag sticky threads which had lost there relevance and needed to have their sticky removed.

The reason these system were put in place at the other site was to 'reduce' the use of the 'Red Falg' to only notifying Mods/Admins of posts which violated forum rules.

View Post Originally Posted by FIA
kayembee is 100% correct.

If someone starts using the red-flag for things they shouldn't, we'll let them know.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by JustDad; 03-05-2010 at 03:24 PM..
JustDad is offline Male
Closed