Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #21
maltingheartforcats
Gift Guru

swisscheese101 has disabled reputation

Default Re: Spelling Moderators

Personally, I think this is a ridiculous idea and there isn't THAT much need for it. I mean, come one, look at the mods& admin ,etc who have manage WI, correct inapropiate posts, threads, whatevernot and now you're suggesting yet ANOTHER thing for them to do? Besides, I know I would feel sorta bad if people were editing my posts to correct spelling and such all the time. Wouldn't you? And as far as the "extreme text speak" people? Don't pay attention to them as much. If it bothers you, stay away from the problem or source of irritation.

---------- swisscheese101 added 2 Minutes and 20 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by Derrie
Well, as for the "misuse" WI would only use trusted people, it was more for the ones that you can't read than it is for the things like "yuo" anyway, and as for the fourth paragraph, I always have and always will offer spelling tips when I see the mistakes!

but thanks for showing me the "other" side of my idea!

---------- Derrie added 4 Minutes and 37 Seconds later ----------

I'm pretty sure WI does not have a spell check feature, but I suppose you could always type it on a word processor then copy it over.

Actually, everyone(I'm pretty sure) HAS spellcheck on WI posting forums. It is actually called "ieSpell" and if you look up at the top of your post{in editorial mode] you will find a checkmark with "ABC" above it. Click it!

Last edited by swisscheese101; 10-21-2008 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
swisscheese101 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #22
Candy loves WI
Webkinz :)

tiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roosttiffsmom rules the roost

Although I do have to take time to read and reread most posts, it just is not practical to think someone or a fleet of someones would go through and correct spelling.
tiffsmom is offline Female
Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
derrie100

Derrie is on a distinguished road

View Post Originally Posted by -Lilypad
While I do think the idea is a nice one, I have to disagree. The mods and admins already have enough work to do by correcting the posts that break rules. The mods are volunteers here that still have a family and outside life. Why should they have to spend the time to decode those messages and retype them? The same with the small typos. Most of the time, our eyes glance over them and we don't even notice, because they are so minor. The mods are not here to be our proofreaders, but to keep the site safe.
Well, I meant an all-new type of mod,not a new job for the existing ones.

---------- Derrie added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by swisscheese101
Personally, I think this is a ridiculous idea and there isn't THAT much need for it. I mean, come one, look at the mods& admin ,etc who have manage WI, correct inapropiate posts, threads, whatevernot and now you're suggesting yet ANOTHER thing for them to do? Besides, I know I would feel sorta bad if people were editing my posts to correct spelling and such all the time. Wouldn't you? And as far as the "extreme text speak" people? Don't pay attention to them as much. If it bothers you, stay away from the problem or source of irritation.

---------- swisscheese101 added 2 Minutes and 20 Seconds later ----------

Actually, everyone(I'm pretty sure) HAS spellcheck on WI posting forums. It is actually called "ieSpell" and if you look up at the top of your post{in editorial mode] you will find a checkmark with "ABC" above it. Click it!
I did, but it told me to go download something!

---------- Derrie added 1 Minutes and 3 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by Zooz
Whoops...mea maxima culpa! (that roughly translates into 'my most grievous fault' in Latin....and no worries, it didn't sound rude!
Ok, good, and don't worry about it, you're not the first one!

Last edited by Derrie; 10-22-2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Derrie is offline Male
Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Quote:
Well, I meant an all-new type of mod,not a new job for the existing ones.
Oh, okay, that changes things. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess if someone wanted to do it, then it could only help!
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
Gifted

obsessive is a name known to allobsessive is a name known to allobsessive is a name known to all

Not to be rude, but I think that is sorta ridiculous. Not everyone has 100% awesomeness at spelling, much less English. I bet half the people on WI can't spell onomatopeia, and they'd get edited for that? Give them credit for trying - and so what if they text talk? Some people think it's an easier way of interacting. Also, the moderators have it intense as it is. They help us, do things, their agenda is filled! Plus, they all have a family to take care of, whether it's pets, boyfriends, husbands, girlfriends, wives, parents, kids and grandkids.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am just saying what I think...
obsessive is offline Female
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

I would much prefer an 'onboard' moderating program, such as 'auto-correct'. I think that would be more efficient in the long run. I have my Word program set up so that it will automatically correct my spelling errors. Sometimes, when I am in a hurry, I have a tendency to transpose the vowels in words like 'because' and every now and again, I have trouble with words like data, it comes out more like dtat, instead. I usually do a quick scan of the article that I have written and if it looks all right, I submit...unfortunately, once that vivid green font shows up, the errors GLARE back at me, accusingly and I am compelled to self-edit.
This is for my own preference. I do understand most of what is said in the forum, from all sources, young and older, but that is because I have been here for a year. I am not too terribly bothered by bad spelling because there are juniors in our midst who are less than 10 years old. They post here and try their best to keep up with US. Maybe we should grant them a little latitude?
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #27

miss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guidemiss sherbert is a golden guide

Yes, i think that would be a god idea. EXEPT... some spelling moderatos might just edit the whole post. Or some spelling mods could just delete that post. Taht goes for untrustworthy spelling mods. Or, the regular mods could do this, they could all have a section of the forum, like their job.
miss sherbert is offline Female
Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #28
Gift Guru

MommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roostMommaB rules the roost

a study was done and concluded that over 95% of people do not read the full word, they register the first and last letter,glance over the middle letters, and instinctively comprehend the word being used.

another thing to consider is that not everyone here uses English as a first language.

I myself can see beyond misspelled words. yes I do think it is important, but on a forum where we all have come to just be ourselves, it is easy enough for me to over look
Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #29
--pls. ask--
Gift Guru

RedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roost

what a nightmare that would be! too many people post who do not know how to spell. a lot of them are just kids so they really do not know any better.

i'm with the other poster that said they'd spend lots of time editing my posts bc i am CONSTANTLY going back and fixing errors.

finally, spelling errors do not bother me as much as when people type their entire post in "text speak", as you called it. in those instances, i just skip the post. that's what i'd recommend if it really bugs ya.
RedBear is offline Female
Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #30
Call me Mooney! =D

Dolphin Lover12 is a glorious beacon of lightDolphin Lover12 is a glorious beacon of lightDolphin Lover12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hm...

Well, I think, in truth, that this is an OK idea. But, personally, I don't see the need for it. Firstly, there's spell check on most computers, I think. So if a person just ran spell check themselves, it'd be much easier than sifting through posts to find misspelled words.

Secondly--you've can't blame us for spelling things wrong. I, for one, am horrible at spelling, even when I use spell check. I try my best, but sometimes I slip up.

That's what I think.

~DL♥
Dolphin Lover12 is offline Female
Closed