Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Webkinz :)
SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!SNOWCLAW is not just visiting!

Default Re: Spelling Moderators

That would be neat.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Gifted

lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!lunalovegood57 is the bees knees!

I try to use the best spelling and grammer possible and use limited text speak. usually I edit my own posts for typos because I can't stand it when I make them. I think certain text speak is okay like LOL or xD or using the keyboard emoticons like , but using ALL the language all the time can be difficult to read especially for those like me who are not fluent in "text speak".
lunalovegood57 is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
derrie100

Derrie is on a distinguished road

View Post Originally Posted by MissGnomie
Hi Derrie,
this is an interesting idea. however, I think it brings up some potential for hurt feelings. I know lots of members are still learning to spell *bigger* words and try very hard to do so properly and use proper grammar, etc. It's a great way to practice spelling & building your vocabulary by posting on the forums and describing why you like this webkinz and other things.

By allowing people to edit others posts there is a potential for hurt feelings - as the members may feel bad that they did not spell a word right - and for "misuse" - a member could edit more then just spelling, and what they are saying etc.

Another thing to point out - WI requires all "staff" to be 18 or older. That way they can run a police records check (or background check) and make sure it is safe to have you interact with the younger members.

I'm sure you can find another way to help out - why not offer to help with spelling & English on the tutoring thread (found on the open mic)? Or just politely offer some advice when members are wondering how things are spelled .

Thanks for your neat idea, though!

edit - PS I'm horrid at spelling! I'm sure they would spend half the time fixing my posts... LOLOL.
Well, as for the "misuse" WI would only use trusted people, it was more for the ones that you can't read than it is for the things like "yuo" anyway, and as for the fourth paragraph, I always have and always will offer spelling tips when I see the mistakes!

but thanks for showing me the "other" side of my idea!

---------- Derrie added 4 Minutes and 37 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by pianolover
That's why we have Spell Check. It corrects your spelling, or at least tells you that it's misspelled.
But, as RobMomm and MissGnomie have stated, it could hurt people's feelings. I know I don't feel very good when I miss a word on a spelling test, even if I try my very hardest.

It is a good idea, but it could hurt members, and besides, if someone's spelling is that bad, PM them and ask them what they are trying to say.

Hope I could help,
Pianolover
I'm pretty sure WI does not have a spell check feature, but I suppose you could always type it on a word processor then copy it over.

Last edited by Derrie; 10-21-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Derrie is offline Male
Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
The Beatles
Gifted

Zooz is sweet stuff
Zooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuff

I like this suggestion -- and yet I do understand where MissGnomie is coming from. However, no one should have hurt feelings because their spelling was incorrect. After all, no one learns without making mistakes. If the correction is handled in a gentle and constructive manner (which is how I believe Derrie would handle it, given the spirit of his post), the service can enhance WI -- not only will kids (and adults!) enjoy the community spirit that I find here, but reading correctly spelled words in posts helps all of us to learn what we might not yet know!

Last edited by Zooz; 10-22-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: her --> his
Old 10-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
derrie100

Derrie is on a distinguished road

Anyway, If there was ever something I REALLY hated when looking around, it would be in the help area when someone has "how to ___" as the title, at first it looks like a guide, but really the person "meant" to say "how do you___", I find those titles very annoying, and I'm sure mods hate having to go into the thread to see whether they need to move it to the guide section or not!

---------- Derrie added 2 Minutes and 25 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by Zooz
I like this suggestion -- and yet I do understand where MissGnomie is coming from. However, no one should have hurt feelings because their spelling was incorrect. After all, no one learns without making mistakes. If the correction is handled in a gentle and constructive manner (which is how I believe Derrie would handle it, given the spirit of her post), the service can enhance WI -- not only will kids (and adults!) enjoy the community spirit that I find here, but reading correctly spelled words in posts helps all of us to learn what we might not yet know!
If you would kindly direct your attention to the bottom left of my post, you would see that I am a boy!

I'm sorry if that sounded a little rude...

<--- right here

Last edited by Derrie; 10-21-2008 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: I'M A BOY!
Derrie is offline Male
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
The Beatles
Gifted

Zooz is sweet stuff
Zooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuffZooz is sweet stuff

View Post Originally Posted by Derrie
If you would kindly direct your attention to the bottom left of my post, you would see that I am a boy!

I'm sorry if that sounded a little rude...

<--- right here
Whoops...mea maxima culpa! (that roughly translates into 'my most grievous fault' in Latin....and no worries, it didn't sound rude!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

While I do think the idea is a nice one, I have to disagree. The mods and admins already have enough work to do by correcting the posts that break rules. The mods are volunteers here that still have a family and outside life. Why should they have to spend the time to decode those messages and retype them? The same with the small typos. Most of the time, our eyes glance over them and we don't even notice, because they are so minor. The mods are not here to be our proofreaders, but to keep the site safe.
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
basketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roostbasketball91395 rules the roost

I think that would be a great idea! i would also love to do that.
basketball91395 is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
Vegan +
Gift Guru

Livi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond repute

I completely completely agree with MissGnomie.
It would be wonderful if there where moderators that could fix the little spelling errors that everybody makes... but many many users on here are pretty young. Grade school young. So they may still be learning how to spell larger words.
And you never know.. some users may have dissabilities that cause them to have poor speling, like dyslexia, ect.

Wonderful idea though! <- yea I know that sounded weird after I just pointed out a bunch of stuff... but your idea is very creative
Livi is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
Gifted

pianolover is just really nicepianolover is just really nice

View Post Originally Posted by Derrie
Well, as for the "misuse" WI would only use trusted people, it was more for the ones that you can't read than it is for the things like "yuo" anyway, and as for the fourth paragraph, I always have and always will offer spelling tips when I see the mistakes!

but thanks for showing me the "other" side of my idea!

---------- Derrie added 4 Minutes and 37 Seconds later ----------

I'm pretty sure WI does not have a spell check feature, but I suppose you could always type it on a word processor then copy it over.
Mine has spell check, or at least it underlines a misspelled word in red.
pianolover is offline Female
Closed