Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
derrie100
Webkinz :)

Derrie is on a distinguished road

Smile Spelling Moderators

We have (probably) all went to a thread at least once before and said, what is that supposed to mean?

Like this: adn yuo wuodl nede to decdoe whta the persno was saynig.
That said: and you would need to decode what the person was saying.

So I thought it would be nice to have a moderator that could fix up those errors whether big like the one above, or a simple typo like this: Would yuo like this idea...

Anyway, I would be glad to do this, but either way whether I was one or not I would still like to be able to read what some people were saying without having to unscramble their sentences!

The last thing I can think of is that since all different types of members have different stars for their amount of posts, perhaps spelling moderators could have one with an "S" in it (stands for "Speller")

Now it's your turn! Do you like this idea?

Last edited by Derrie; 10-21-2008 at 06:45 PM..
Derrie is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
The hippie writer
Gift Guru

Ivie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socks

Default Re: Spelling Moderators

It would be a lot of extra work, but if the mods let people younger than 18 do it....I think it'd be great!
Ivie is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #3

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

Hi Derrie,
this is an interesting idea. however, I think it brings up some potential for hurt feelings. I know lots of members are still learning to spell *bigger* words and try very hard to do so properly and use proper grammar, etc. It's a great way to practice spelling & building your vocabulary by posting on the forums and describing why you like this webkinz and other things.

By allowing people to edit others posts there is a potential for hurt feelings - as the members may feel bad that they did not spell a word right - and for "misuse" - a member could edit more then just spelling, and what they are saying etc.

Another thing to point out - WI requires all "staff" to be 18 or older. That way they can run a police records check (or background check) and make sure it is safe to have you interact with the younger members.

I'm sure you can find another way to help out - why not offer to help with spelling & English on the tutoring thread (found on the open mic)? Or just politely offer some advice when members are wondering how things are spelled .

Thanks for your neat idea, though!

edit - PS I'm horrid at spelling! I'm sure they would spend half the time fixing my posts... LOLOL.

Last edited by MissGnomie; 10-21-2008 at 06:50 PM..
MissGnomie is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Gift Guru

AnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellence
AnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellenceAnthonysMommy is the epitome of excellence

Donation Award 

LOL you'd be working 24/ 7! I'm the first to admit I'm horrible at spelling. Anyway, I can usually figure out what someone is trying to say. Sometimes the case is just that the person doesn't speak english very well.
AnthonysMommy is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
hy not become a
Gift Guru

Robmomm has disabled reputation

Donation Award 

I do think proper grammer and spelling are important, but I think I would feel awful having a mistake like that corrected. There are too many people on here that either misspell by mistake or english isn't their first language so maybe they are really unsure of how to spell certain words. I know that I've always prided myself on my language skills, but there are a few words that no matter how often I see them or type them I get them wrong 99% of the time.

I guess it is easier to overlook little mistakes like that then to call attention to them. If I notice a really poorly written post that I cannot understand I usually just skip it. I have also noticed that sometimes others will ask the poster to clarify themselves and that works pretty well. Good idea, I just don't think it would work with this many people of varying ages and backgrounds.
Robmomm is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
The hippie writer
Gift Guru

Ivie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socks

I think chatspeak should be aganist the rules. a "u" or "b/c" or whatever ONCE IN A WHILE is ok, but some people take it to the extreme.
Ivie is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Gift Guru

GoldenPuppy has disabled reputation

In my opinion, I like the idea but it's going to be a lot of work. For example, the DCT has lots of posts and lots of spelling/grammer mistakes. But it is a good idea.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
weevie97
Webkinz :)

mantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with missgnomie.
mantateelover is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Gifted

pianolover is just really nicepianolover is just really nice

That's why we have Spell Check. It corrects your spelling, or at least tells you that it's misspelled.
But, as RobMomm and MissGnomie have stated, it could hurt people's feelings. I know I don't feel very good when I miss a word on a spelling test, even if I try my very hardest.

It is a good idea, but it could hurt members, and besides, if someone's spelling is that bad, PM them and ask them what they are trying to say.

Hope I could help,
Pianolover
pianolover is offline Female
Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #10

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

View Post Originally Posted by Ivie
I think chatspeak should be aganist the rules. a "u" or "b/c" or whatever ONCE IN A WHILE is ok, but some people take it to the extreme.
Hi, if you take a look over here at the forum rules you'll find WI already asks that you refrain from using text speak. Although the odd LOL or idk ... well known ones are okay posting entirely in text speak does make it hard for others who are not familiar with it to understand.

Quote:
Guidelines: Things we'd rather you not do:

* Creating duplicate threads Before starting a new thread use the search feature to check that the subject of your intended post is not already covered by an existing thread. Post to existing threads wherever possible.
* Starting threads in the wrong forum We believe the board descriptions on the index page are fairly self explanatory, but feel to ask a mod if you aren't sure.
* Using 'Text Speak' in your posts Please take the time to write replies in English.
* Posting entirely in capital letters Please do not post the subject or content of your posts entirely in capital letters. It scares us.
you can find them here -
http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...ead-t3999.html
MissGnomie is offline Female
Closed