Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Gifted

hoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy day
hoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy dayhoodedwarbler13 is the rainbow on a rainy day

Default Something is Happening to WI

Before I say anything, I would like to express my respect for the staff and my gratefulness for those of them that still sacrifice their time to keep this site safe and up to date. Webberlily, Electrabuzz1, Babs, cbjhockey, Gingerly, COWS4YOU, and MissGnomie are the main staff members I've seen active, and I'm sure there are more. I'm also very grateful for the staff and non-staff members who have kept the WIki up to date to the best of their ability and continue to labor to make it so, especially regular editors like dancerchick914, who has worked very hard to get images for newly released items, as well as swordfish and a few others, as well as the wiki sysops canonymous, monkeecj, and Cheesy1. I'm especially grateful to curiousg, Serena, and the WIGEV team for their overwhelming work on the WIGEV. I'm also thankful for the efforts of the gift coaches tashytoot, Dustbunny, funmamas, DakotaKinz, and valntom for doing the important task of training members to enter the GE. Thank you to all staff members and dedicated users who are doing their best to keep this site living.

Despite the best efforts of our dedicated staff and members, something is happening to WI. It's obvious with just a quick glance at the forums. There are fewer announcements on the front page. There haven't been any galore contests since early September. The Gift Exchange is noticeably less active. The GEDCT is averaging around 3-4 replies a day. It used to get hundreds. The DCT is getting usually less than a hundred replies a day, as opposed to the beehive of activity it used to be. There just aren't as many posts being made anywhere in the forums anymore.

The wiki is running Medawiki 1.15, which was released in 2009. The Mediawiki software is now available as version 1.21 which is has been updated through many major releases. The currently installed software on the WI wiki contains many known vulnerabilities and other issues. Only about 10 users are actually editing the wiki regularly at all.

What caused this decline? I think it can be traced back to when FIA left. It's definitely not her fault that she had to leave when her real life became busy. Real life is more important than a fan site for a virtual world. The problem, however, is that she left the rest of the staff to shoulder the immense burden of wiki editing, forum moderation, and administrative actions that she had been doing without introducing any new staff members for her specific tasks. They managed to keep things afloat for a while, but it was a fatal effort. Then more staff members ceased to be active, most notably Justin. While he has recently returned briefly to fix a few issues, it seems that he still remains aloof to our major issues.

There is nothing wrong with a staff member leaving WI. He or she might be very busy in real life, or they may even have lost interest in the site or Webkinz World. That's fine. What's not fine is failing to train and appoint new members to shoulder the burden of running this site. While they may not be interested in it or have time for it, they should find someone who is and does. There are many such members here around the forum. I won't suggest particular users because it is the staff's job to find new staff members.

Another source of the decline in activity is completely out of the WI staff's control. Ganz has changed Webkinz World so much that it would be nearly unrecognizable to someone who hadn't been active for a while. Users are daily bombarded with advertisements and promotions for Deluxe memberships, and those who have upgraded are still begged to pay eStore points for all sorts of things. Ganz is too interested in money and less interested in their customers' happiness, a fatal flaw that is evident in other companies before their declines. Few new users would want to enter such a tempest of money-making schemes. Old users are growing up and losing interest in Webkinz World and Ganz's ploys. Only a few dedicated users remain, as evidenced by the reduction of the many KinzChat zones into one.

The decline of Webkinz World has heavily influenced WI's downfall. Combined with the loss of time and/or interest by several key staff members and the failure of the staff to appoint new staff to take their place, WI is on a downward curve. The faithful few feel neglected, and several have left forever or are considering doing so.

What's to be done? The appointment of new staff members is a major option, because it would bring new authority, new ideas, and new motivation to the site. However, there also needs to be some way to attract new members, keep the current ones, and even bring back old members. Implementing their suggestions would be a start, as would encouraging more suggestions from the members of WI. Multiple ideas from several perspectives would be a lot better than a few staff members brainstorming. Many suggestions would be irrational or impossible, but it's worth the trouble for the few good ideas that would bring back the site.

In conclusion, the site is in decline in spite of the best efforts of its hard-working staff. This has resulted because of the detachment of key staff members without adequately ensuring that their responsibilities can be performed in their absence as well as a declining interest in Webkinz World overall. This site can still prosper if we appoint new staff members and increase and maintain the amount of active members with a voice in the development of the site.

Thanks for reading my thoughts. Please feel free to share arguments or further comments.
hoodedwarbler13 is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Yipes bunnies
Webkinz :)

Lucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicness
Lucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicnessLucy Hippo is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Something is Happening to WI

I don't think this site is in decline. we get all the new info and all the members are nice to each other and help out each other.

and the staff here is great and these hard working people do great work. guess they could use more moderators but IDK how that works.

as for WW decline, they are cutting their own throat with the bad programming and lagging and skipping. I used to recommend WW but no longer do that since so many things do not work.

as for both sites it is up to me to make a decision as to stay or go.

Last edited by Lucy Hippo; 11-19-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Lucy Hippo is offline Female
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
hy are you a

spiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the wayspiderman8880 knows the way

Thank you for saying this hoodedwarbler. I honestly could not say it better myself. But I completely agree with you. I believe that new staff would definitely help the website gain back the popularity that it used to have. Yes, the staff do an amazing job already, but I have been realizing that certain tasks, even certain popular wiki pages, have not been updated / done. I give you an applause for writing this thread.

View Post Originally Posted by Lucy Hippo
I don't think this site is in decline. we get all the new info and all the members are nice to each other and help out each other.

and the staff here is great and these hard working people do great work. guess they could use more moderators but IDK how that works.

as for WW decline, they are cutting their own throat with the bad programming and lagging and skipping. I used to recommend WW but no longer do that since so many things do not work.

as for both sites it is up to me to make a decision as to stay or go.
I think that the site is in decline, but that is just my opinion. But yes, the staff do a WONDERFUL job. We just need more of them.

About the WW part, I have the same thoughts. I'm almost about to stop playing Webkinz just because of their poor quality games nowadays. I have a feeling that they could make a lot more money if they didn't have as many advertisements, and hired some better programmers for the game.

Last edited by spiderman8880; 11-19-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Begin Again by Tay
Gifted

sophii8 is a WIzard
sophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzardsophii8 is a WIzard

View Post Originally Posted by spiderman8880
Thank you for saying this hoodedwarbler. I honestly could not say it better myself. But I completely agree with you. I believe that new staff would definitely help the website gain back the popularity that it used to have. Yes, the staff do an amazing job already, but I have been realizing that certain tasks, even certain popular wiki pages, have not been updated / done. I give you an applause for writing this thread.
I completely agree with you ^^ and hooded warbler. The staff do an amazing job, but they need more support. New staff would make a lot of difference.

However, even with more staff, the dedicated WW players and WI members are declining in number. I'll use the WNTM community as an example. A TON of the really experienced WNTMers are losing interest in WW, WI and WNTMing, and are planning to leave within the next year. Their RL commitments have made WI too much to handle. While that's fine and completely understandable, I'm sad to report that there aren't many new WNTMers to fill their place. But with new and up-to-date ideas and features on WI, more people would join and maybe become WNTMers.
sophii8 is offline Female
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Lambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contest
Lambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contest

Yes, I'm sure some people left because they stopped playing Webkinz. Maybe from the changes, some grew out of it. A lot of people here hadn't played webkinz in a long time and were just using the site to socialize about other things, I'm sure that got boring for some of them and they left. I actually like seeing those who are left talking about the game, since that is what this place was meant for.

So really I'd be happy to see the updates more often, but besides that I think WI is okay.

Last edited by Webberlily; 11-19-2013 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: cleaning up
Lambchop77 is offline Female
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
I luvz U!

Webberlily has disabled reputation

Thanks Hoodedwarbler for your thoughtful analysis.

It's just a matter of numbers. Today there are a lot fewer Webkinz players than there were a few years ago. It was quite the craze, and these things go up, and then down again.

There are fewer WW players, sales of Webkinz plushies are way down (they are getting hard to find in a lot of places), sales are down for Ganz. Also Ganz has a lot more competition on the web, than a few years ago.

We are a webkinz fan site, and so our readership is down also. You can see that there are a lot fewer members online every night (at the bottom of the main index page). Fewer members means fewer posts, quieter DCT, fewer contests.

I know that we have a lot of loyal fans. Please feel free to start contests, both in the Contests for Foods (open to all members to start, and they don't have to be complex), and for the Gifted and Gurus, the Galore Contests. You can't leave it to the staff to do all the contests.

Start informative threads on the various new developments in Webkinz World. It's not necessary to wait for news to be front-paged. Feel free to start new threads about all these new things! Write guides on how to play the new games, and share your hints!

Edit the WIKI!
Webberlily is offline Female
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
obipony316

AjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joy
AjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joyAjGirl1006 is an abundance of joy

I agree with this post! I love WI, and we have wonderful staff, who do everything in their power, to make this site an amazing place, but some more staff members would be great. Webkinz World's downfall is where a lot of this comes from. Also, it comes from growing up. Tons of people grow up, and grow out of Webkinz. I am still interested in Webkinz, because I think it's fun, but some people grow out of it, and it stinks, and it's just life.
AjGirl1006 is offline Female
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
at

RevivedHooligan challenges the impossibleRevivedHooligan challenges the impossible
RevivedHooligan challenges the impossibleRevivedHooligan challenges the impossibleRevivedHooligan challenges the impossible

sure wi is in a downfall, but this is a completely normal thing. many forums have gone through this. i've seen 5 or 6 forums go from being really active to being a graveyard that only sees a post maybe once a month. real life happens; even if they'd like to, members can't just stick around forever.

of course the fall of wi is linked heavily to the fall of ww. not only did most of ww's members grow older and lose interest, (i'm not pointing a finger at ganz and saying "darn u!!!1 ur teh reson wi is dyign!!!!111") but ww has made some changes that have a) pushed a few members away and b) made it generally attract less attention from people that may have been interested in joining had those changes not been made. (had ww been the way it is now five years ago, i probably wouldn't have joined.) if less people are interested in ww, then people are definitely going to be less interested in wi, so there aren't as many new people joining to fill in the spots of all the people leaving. and with this being a major factor, i honestly don't think the fall of wi can be reversed.

Last edited by RevivedHooligan; 11-19-2013 at 10:30 PM..
RevivedHooligan is offline Male
Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
I'm adarlably wacky!

Darlabell is the cats pajamas!Darlabell is the cats pajamas!Darlabell is the cats pajamas!Darlabell is the cats pajamas!Darlabell is the cats pajamas!Darlabell is the cats pajamas!

I agree 100%...I had noticed that things weren't being kept updated as they should and while I still think WI is a wonderful site I find it kind of sad too...it's kind of like an old house that nobody lives in anymore....
Darlabell is offline Female
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #10

lovmykinz is just really nicelovmykinz is just really nice

I have not been on here in a long time. Part of the problem is when people apply for the trade section they get denied over and over again so people leave to find other sites to trade on. Getting access to trade should not be that hard and WI makes it that way. A lot of the top traders here left to these other sites because of this.
lovmykinz is offline Female
Closed

Tags
busy playing minecraft, wi the ghost town