Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
Gift Guru

smvmonkey knows the way
smvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the way

Donation Award 
Default Re: Some things I'd like to discuss....

We should put out our best effort for correct grammar, I agree, and I did like that topic, but you never know why they rated it that way, it may have not been just because it was about Respect, I'm not sure why people rate down threads.
smvmonkey is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Gift Guru

Munchies knows the way
Munchies knows the way

Hello DL!

I personally vote 99% of the DCT's 5 star, Its a place where I can talk, and I think that deserves 5 stars.

I know that some people, vote the thread down because there was a fight on it, or something someone said made them upset -- and I dont think thats right, you shouldnt vote the thread down because of something like that.

I completely agree with you also! I go to OMDCT, but I still use proper grammar/punctuation/spelling. Im not a fan of tex talk, and I dont think its allowed or shined on at WI..

~Munchies
Munchies is offline Female
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #23
Anti Twilight.
Webkinz :)

lizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
Hi there, and thanks for clicking! This is sort of a 2 part thing- and I've been thinking about it while I was on break. I know that there are a lot of opinions on these topics, so please feel free to post.

I'm sure that a lot of your DCTers at the Open Mike know that just recently, the topic for the DCT was respect. COWS4YOU made that DCT, and I loved the topic. Usually the rating for DCT's is 5 star. However, this one was a 4 star and close to a 3 when I saw it. I was shocked at this. Why in the world would people rate it down just because the topic was about respect? There have been arguments there, I know, and in my opinion, that topic was a nice change. I know a lot of you felt that way too, but there are always some "sour apples" out of the bunch.

Also, I'd also like to comment on making an effort. Lately, my dad showed me a business e-mail of some sort to show me what not to do. I was shocked at what it looked like. Instead of "you" the person put "u" and that sort of thing. It wasn't too extreme, but I was shocked that a business person would do that sort of thing. I always thought that when doing business or something like that, people would do their best in grammar/punctuation/spelling. (I'm not saying that adults should always use proper grammar/punctuation/spelling, this was just an example of effort) So, that just brings me to the topic of making an effort. Here, it could mean making an effort when posting- or just going out of your way to brighten up someone's day.

Thanks for reading, and as always (lol) post your opinions/comments/suggestions!
Rep! I agree! I used to use 'u' a lot but now I'll just take the five extra seconds to spell the word correctly. I don't go on the DCT that much,so I didn't notice the rating for the R E S P E C T one. It's horrible that people just rated it low because of the topic. I try to put effort into my post's and not make it just like "Wat r u doin'?" Great thread!
lizzyxwebkinz is offline Female
Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #24
KellanluvsmecuzI'm
Gifted

twilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guidetwilightcrz is a golden guide

Hi DL! I can't believe that happened to the DCT... it's a shame that some people don't really care about being nice anymore. Cows was just trying to teach us how to be kind to others, and that we should be to everybody. I think she was trying to get across the point too, that newcomers are ignored quite a lot, unless they're part of a "clique" that goes there everyday. Very dissapointing.

I've seen the second part happen before too... very sad to see. I mean, if you can't spell very well, and don't try very hard, what's the point of doing it, if you don't care enough about it? You'll just be looked down upon, because people will think bad things about you, like you're a slacker. So here on WI, we should, and will, give it our all, and respect each other, but it may take a while to get to that point. Have a fantastical day!
twilightcrz is offline Female
Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
HomieWHONKâ„¢ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by WhiteTerrierFan
I couldn't agree more. I saw that DCT too, and thought COWS made a great point with it, and personally, there is no reason why it shouldn't be 5 stars.
I also agree about the effort thing. It only takes one extra second if not less to type you instead of u, so there is no reason to type it wrong, except being lazy or because you think it's "cool" to do that. There is no way an employer would accept someone with that type of spelling over someone who used correct grammar. Putting that extra effort would maybe get someone like that a job, but for some it's harder than for others.
Exactly! I love MommaB's title too- R E S P E C T. Unfortunately, some people think that respect is something that doesn't matter but does. And of course, an employer would definitely choose someone with correct grammar over someone who uses text speak! Those two things that I mentioned just shocked me and I needed some opinions about it

View Post Originally Posted by Smiley Rockr
Yeah, I try not to type like that. Although I do put "Gonna" and "Kinda" alot. Lol and I don't even mean to!

I don't usually go to the DCT, just because I'm not up early or anything. But I would've loved that topic! And I mean, respet is important you know.
I completely agree with you Sometimes it's okay to slack off and use text speak (I mean, it's tiring to use proper grammar all the time!) as long as it doesn't become a habit.

View Post Originally Posted by tarsky781
Wow, I never noticed that!
That is not a good thing.
Yeah. I think it's because of the topic, respect.

View Post Originally Posted by badena2
I agree completely! Sure, not everyone knows how to spell everything, but making an effort and trying your best is something you should ALWAYS do. Also, some people rate it badly as a joke(I don't know if this is a fact just a guess), and I don't know why. Respect is a wonderful topic.
I LOVED the part about trying your best! You should always, ALWAYS try your best in whatever you do no matter what. And if it was a joke, that's not a very funny joke

View Post Originally Posted by ChihuahuaGrl16
wow---I try to spell out my words and use proper grammar (but sometimes i get in a rush!) and sometimes when I'm feeling "silly" i like to use the words "kinda" and "gonna" and "don'tcha" and all of a sudden I feel that the term "lol" is used way too often.
Great thread
Thanks! I use those words too, but not in formal things. IMO, formal things are like letters, business e-mails, posts, and other things like that because the people reading it get a good impression that you work hard and thought about it when they read it

View Post Originally Posted by Ergoiam
I have often pondered what impact texting will have on the written word and I am sure many an English teacher has sadly shook their heads and gnashed their teeth. What is acceptable today would never have been tolerated in any format twenty years ago, but I hope that I never grow so old that respect becomes a cliché. I did not see the thread that you are referring to, so I can only generalize, however I grew up with the understanding that respect was earned, and with the understanding that it is also a two-way street, if you want respect then you show respect it is really that simply. To be honest I find it very sad that it sometimes becomes necessary to have a thread to remind everyone of common courtesy. Nevertheless, I appreciate why you feel that this needs to be discussed and hopefully the members who you are referring to will see your thread and think about why respect is so important not only here, but also in every aspect of life.
Hi Ergoiam!

I think texting has definitely had an impact on a real word. Sometimes when I write essays, I use "u" instead of "you" completely on accident. I used to use text speak for everything, but now I'm getting in the habit of spelling everything out because in the long run, it'll help. Now I only use it for texting. I really hope that respect doesn't become a cliche because that's just not right. Respect is something so simple that many people don't think about. Thank you for such a wonderful post!
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
pounder