Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
HomieWHONKâ„¢ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

Default Re: Some things I'd like to discuss....

View Post Originally Posted by gReTa
I agree, that topic was a good idea..it was 'round the time there was the whole mess of DCT problems.

On your second topic..I personally dislike it when people can't use the whole word. Not like LOL and g2g and brb, but u and ur and pls and ppl. One example I like to use on this is: I think something like "Sorry everyone, I've g2g." is acceptable and have used it myself, but "srry evry1 i g2g"..rather annoys me.
Especially surprises me when people I know to be adults use it..aren't they supposed to be role-models for us innocent and sweet little children?

Remember, we have spelling and grammar for a reason, a good reason.

'Course, if it's like a one-time thing, everyone has spelling and capitilization and grammar errors every once in a while, it's best to leave it alone.

Effort it really important-yes, it looks good when applying for GT/GG-but also, it makes people..look up to you, I think. If you took two people who answered the same question, and one used Impact font bolded bright green(try doing this and hitting "preview"-it's incomprehensible), chat speak(or, as they'd probably say it, chatspeek), and a short, 4 word answer, and the other used readable text and good grammar/spelling/etc. with a nice good-sized explanation and maybe some pictures, who would, if you were the thread creator, give rep to? Even if they gave essentially the same answer to your question.
Great post, Greta!

I like the part where you said
Quote:
Especially surprises me when people I know to be adults use it..aren't they supposed to be role-models for us innocent and sweet little children?
I agree with that, and I know that many adults do use proper English. However, making an effort for kids really isn't that hard right? I grew up around proper English so I'm just used to using it. And the last paragraph was a fantastic response. I've seen a couple people (not naming) get rejected for the GT application because of spelling/punctuation. It DOES make people look up to you (definitely!) and it also looks like you're pretty confident on the subject, and you've taken some time to think about it. Impact is not really a good font to use because it's so tightly packed together and especially if it's in a lighter color.

And don't worry about it being so long- I loved your post!

View Post Originally Posted by pounder
That's true. I usally don't go over there, so I wouldn't know what the votes are normaly. But, I think it is because they don't like the topic.
Yeah, which just surprises me because respect is something that really needed to be addressed back then.
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Quote:
Also, I'd also like to comment on making an effort. Lately, my dad showed me a business e-mail of some sort to show me what not to do. I was shocked at what it looked like. Instead of "you" the person put "u" and that sort of thing. It wasn't too extreme, but I was shocked that a business person would do that sort of thing. I always thought that when doing business or something like that, people would do their best in grammar/punctuation/spelling. (I'm not saying that adults should always use proper grammar/punctuation/spelling, this was just an example of effort) So, that just brings me to the topic of making an effort. Here, it could mean making an effort when posting- or just going out of your way to brighten up someone's day.
I don't mind if people use text speak on here because we are not in a formal environment, but if you are doing business, it is entirely unprofessional to use such poor grammar. I saw an email written by someone on business matters, and I lost a lot of respect for her when I saw how she typed (I know it sounds kinda silly.) It's not really a huge deal on here, but just so some of the younger people know, because you never know when you'll have to write out an important email. Thanks for bringing this up.
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
I is a haven for a
Gift Guru

gReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wondergReTa wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
Great post, Greta!

I agree with that, and I know that many adults do use proper English. However, making an effort for kids really isn't that hard right? I grew up around proper English so I'm just used to using it. And the last paragraph was a fantastic response. I've seen a couple people (not naming) get rejected for the GT application because of spelling/punctuation. It DOES make people look up to you (definitely!) and it also looks like you're pretty confident on the subject, and you've taken some time to think about it. Impact is not really a good font to use because it's so tightly packed together and especially if it's in a lighter color.

Thanks DL. You're always the bestest..is that even a word?
gReTa is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Gift Guru

pounder knows the way
pounder knows the waypounder knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by Dogluver620
Great post, Greta!

Yeah, which just surprises me because respect is something that really needed to be addressed back then.
Yes, it is.
pounder is offline Male
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
WhiteTerrierFan

I couldn't agree more. I saw that DCT too, and thought COWS made a great point with it, and personally, there is no reason why it shouldn't be 5 stars.
I also agree about the effort thing. It only takes one extra second if not less to type you instead of u, so there is no reason to type it wrong, except being lazy or because you think it's "cool" to do that. There is no way an employer would accept someone with that type of spelling over someone who used correct grammar. Putting that extra effort would maybe get someone like that a job, but for some it's harder than for others.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
uvs being an insane
Webkinz :)

Smiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud of

Yeah, I try not to type like that. Although I do put "Gonna" and "Kinda" alot. Lol and I don't even mean to!

I don't usually go to the DCT, just because I'm not up early or anything. But I would've loved that topic! And I mean, respet is important you know.
Smiley Rockr is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
gangnam style

tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible
tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible

Wow, I never noticed that!
That is not a good thing.
tarsky781 is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
no

badena2 defies all oddsbadena2 defies all odds
badena2 defies all odds

I agree completely! Sure, not everyone knows how to spell everything, but making an effort and trying your best is something you should ALWAYS do. Also, some people rate it badly as a joke(I don't know if this is a fact just a guess), and I don't know why. Respect is a wonderful topic.
badena2 is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
ChihuahuaGrl16
Banned
ChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond repute

wow---I try to spell out my words and use proper grammar (but sometimes i get in a rush!) and sometimes when I'm feeling "silly" i like to use the words "kinda" and "gonna" and "don'tcha" and all of a sudden I feel that the term "lol" is used way too often.
Great thread
ChihuahuaGrl16 is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
ill PM
Gift Guru

Ergoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talent

Donation Award 

I have often pondered what impact texting will have on the written word and I am sure many an English teacher has sadly shook their heads and gnashed their teeth. What is acceptable today would never have been tolerated in any format twenty years ago, but I hope that I never grow so old that respect becomes a cliché. I did not see the thread that you are referring to, so I can only generalize, however I grew up with the understanding that respect was earned, and with the understanding that it is also a two-way street, if you want respect then you show respect it is really that simply. To be honest I find it very sad that it sometimes becomes necessary to have a thread to remind everyone of common courtesy. Nevertheless, I appreciate why you feel that this needs to be discussed and hopefully the members who you are referring to will see your thread and think about why respect is so important not only here, but also in every aspect of life.
Closed

Tags
pounder