Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #41
FairlyWackyMom

fairlyoddmom has disabled reputation

Default Re: It seems there are a lot of duplicate posts

I always try to help derail duplicate posts. I sometimes think people look at me like "mind your own business"...lol.

But I'm just amazed how often this happens. Theres an etiquette about msg boards that really can't be taught to those that don't want to learn.

I can see when it happens within seconds of each other...but often times its just done without regard to whats already there.

I really wish you luck WI in finding a solution. I know it creates more work for you all...especially when you have to merge posts.

Maybe a mass pm to everyone about some basic etiquette? (looking for other threads about the same thing before you start a new one, proper title naming, hi******* threads, spamming, where to properly put a thread).

If I got a pm from Justin or Wendy, I know I'd read it right away...because...well...they're famous...-chuckles-.

---------- fairlyoddmom added 7 Minutes and 8 Seconds later ----------

And just fyi...lol. sorry...it made me laugh when i tried to create a new thread.

in general it works...so...yay. HOPEFULLY it will help.

But its also bringing up posts or threads i've created on other forums...AND feedback i've left on trades for this board. lol.

kinda funny i thought.

Last edited by fairlyoddmom; 11-07-2007 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
fairlyoddmom is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #42
Pandi

Sometimes people don't relize it when it happens..I just discovered a little drop-down menu,showing all the threads related to the one you made. Remember to look at that menu befor you make the thread!
~~Panda
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #43
FairlyWackyMom

View Post Originally Posted by Webkinz_Panda
Sometimes people don't relize it when it happens..I just discovered a little drop-down menu,showing all the threads related to the one you made. Remember to look at that menu befor you make the thread!
~~Panda
That was Justin's solution that came from this thread. I really hope it works.

My worry is that people won't even know that exists. If they don't realize the intent of it is to prevent duplicate threads...they won't stop to look at what its bringing up for them...lol.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #44
contessa2007
Gift Guru

contessa2007 has a spectacular aura aboutcontessa2007 has a spectacular aura about

Arrow Re: It seems there are a lot of duplicate posts

View Post Originally Posted by fairlyoddmom
Theres an etiquette about msg boards that really can't be taught to those that don't want to learn.

fairlyoddmom
, this is soooo true. Really well put! I think the dividing line is between people who want the qualitative benefits of a forum like this (sharing information, making friends) and those who are more interested in the quantitative benefits (# of posts, reputation level, always being first poster, etc.) Can you guess which is probably more interested in standards or etiquette?

I think Justin's fix will probably go a ways to cutting down on some of the duplication though. I can totally understand why this is not the easiest thing to moderate, and any way to automate the process is a huge leap forward.

I do have a suggestion though, and that is that when there is a flurry of dupe posts it is *usually* when something has gone haywire in WW (October POTM, WOTM, etc..) It would be nice to see a link to a thread on the left side bar, like where the Rares @ Arte's is, stating that it's a known issue and it can be discussed here in this thread. Again, this probably won't stop WI members who feel they need their own thread for everything, but I think it would absorb a lot of the traffic. What do you think, Justin?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #45
FairlyWackyMom

View Post Originally Posted by contessa2007

fairlyoddmom
, this is soooo true. Really well put! I think the dividing line is between people who want the qualitative benefits of a forum like this (sharing information, making friends) and those who are more interested in the quantitative benefits (# of posts, reputation level, always being first poster, etc.) Can you guess which is probably more interested in standards or etiquette?

I think Justin's fix will probably go a ways to cutting down on some of the duplication though. I can totally understand why this is not the easiest thing to moderate, and any way to automate the process is a huge leap forward.

I do have a suggestion though, and that is that when there is a flurry of dupe posts it is *usually* when something has gone haywire in WW (October POTM, WOTM, etc..) It would be nice to see a link to a thread on the left side bar, like where the Rares @ Arte's is, stating that it's a known issue and it can be discussed here in this thread. Again, this probably won't stop WI members who feel they need their own thread for everything, but I think it would absorb a lot of the traffic. What do you think, Justin?
Hit the nail on the head in terms of the two types of users. . Thank you SO much for verbalizing that!

I like that suggestion. I'm always doing this: when I see someone ask about something that is in a sticky at the top of the forum..lol. But I think people might actually see it on the left there. Without knowing the logistics of the board...I like that suggestion!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #46
Gifted
Rallymama is on a distinguished road

I wish there were a way to prevent the posts on topics that are covered in the FAQ, or about questions that could be answered with 13 nanoseconds of poking around the site. Unfortunately, the only way I've ever found to minimize that is for the mods to be extremenly hardnosed. That's not really the kind of environment Justin and Wendy are fostering here.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #47
--pls. ask--
Gift Guru

RedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roostRedBear rules the roost

View Post Originally Posted by fairlyoddmom
That was Justin's solution that came from this thread. I really hope it works.

My worry is that people won't even know that exists. If they don't realize the intent of it is to prevent duplicate threads...they won't stop to look at what its bringing up for them...lol.
it doesnt work perfectly. i'm sure it cuts down on several, though. i just came across 3 threads on questions in which i posted the answers within the past week. my titles held the clue so should have come up when they made their thread. (one was cannot rename room, another was no cake on birthday and the third just slipped my mind. hate that... i'll update when i remember!) maybe you are right, people need to be made aware of what the information means?

---------- RedBear added 3 Minutes and 44 Seconds later ----------

UPDATE: i did a pretend new thread and, yep, "Can't rename your room? READ THIS" was the first to pop up as an option.

Last edited by RedBear; 11-07-2007 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
RedBear is offline Female
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #48
Gifted

KP1028 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I think the biggest problem with multiple posts is that some people don't care if there are duplicates because the person creating the thread wants people to respond specifically to theirs. I kind of think that would be hard to change. Am I making sense?

I definately love the search aspect of it. I have already tried it a few times and have found the answers I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #49
contessa2007
Gift Guru

contessa2007 has a spectacular aura aboutcontessa2007 has a spectacular aura about

Arrow Re: It seems there are a lot of duplicate posts

View Post Originally Posted by Rallymama
I wish there were a way to prevent the posts on topics that are covered in the FAQ, or about questions that could be answered with 13 nanoseconds of poking around the site. Unfortunately, the only way I've ever found to minimize that is for the mods to be extremenly hardnosed. That's not really the kind of environment Justin and Wendy are fostering here.
Oh, definitely...and I think a great deal of credit goes to Justin & Wendy and all the moderators who keep WI successful by applying a light touch on these things, especially with such patience and gentleness. If it were my job, I'd lose it in half an hour! It is a fine line that they have to walk, keeping the board fun, informative and interesting and at the same time keeping it uncluttered and readable. A lot more goes into it than will ever be apparent even to a daily reader of the forums.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #50
;)
Gifted

beachbumkinz will become famous soon enough

We also have to remember there are a lot of kids posting that doesnt know any better. They haven't learned how to check first. Maybe in time it will get better. Who knows. Thanks Justin for always staying on top of things. You can't find many sites like that. It makes me feel safer allowing my daughter on here.
Closed