Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
realspirit12
Webkinz :)

*Serendipity* will become famous soon enough

Default Reminder! Know the tone of your voice and how people interpret it! Read for tips on how to become more friendly just by typing better

Hi, I'm Serendipity. I have some tips to help you guys sound nice and friendly here in WI!

Since we aren't talking in public, you have no idea how people are saying things. The way you type can affect the way people think of you, how your tone is, and how nice people think you are. Sometimes people sound unfriendly when they are not. Confusing when they are clear and easy to unerstand. Dumb when they are smart. That's baaad!

How People Think
What are people's reactions when they see a post? How friendly the person is. The way you type affects the way people opinionate on you. For example, this post gives people the idea of a person who justs wants to gain numbers of posts:

Quote:
Nice thread i thought it was very useful good job
People think:
"Hum, they really don't care about my thread on how to cure cancer! They just want to gain posts for those little stars under their avatar!"

Not good. Another example:

Quote:
There here is your custom signature please use it
People think:
"This person seems demanding and rude. I don't think I'll rate their thread"

Yet another example:

Quote:
ohmigod my friend thinks her boyfriend is so cute and awesome i so want a guy like that omg omg omg omg**

People think:
"Goodness! This person seems to overreact. I don't need to reply"

Sometimes when admins give you pointers, they seem to nag and be rude. Example:

Quote:
Hi, Username. You failed to follow the directions of the Open Mike section. Try to be more careful next time. This thread is now closed.

What people think:
"Oh man I'm in trouble. My feelings are hurt. They should have been more nice when they said that."

Or this:

Quote:
This thread has been closed. The poster has failed to follow the rules

What people think:
"That's embarrassing! People think I am a troublemaker now. Could have been nicer..."

Changing the way you say things
Simple revising can go a long way! Try to edit your post or think to yourself!

Quote:
Nice thread i thought it was very useful good job
Can turn into:

Quote:
Awesome thread! I thought it was usefuland nice! I'll tag this and rate it! Good job!

Or this:

Quote:
There here is your custom signature please use it

Can turn into:

Quote:
Here is your order! Don't forget to rate my shop and use my siggy!

And this:

Quote:
ohmigod you have an awesome BF i so want a guy like that omg omg omg omg**

Can turn into:

Quote:
Oh, how I wish I had a boyfriend like that. You are so lucky!

And these:

Quote:
This thread has been closed. The poster has failed to follow the rules

Quote:
Hi, Username. You failed to follow the directions of the Open Mike section. Try to be more careful next time. This thread is now closed.

Can turn into:

Quote:
Hey there Username! I believe you forgot the rule to the Open Mike Section. You are not supposed to give personal info! Oops! Be sure to keep that in mind next time. But for now, I hae to close your thread. Hope there are no hard feelings!

Tips and tricks
Follow these tips to be the friendliest kid in WI!
  • Exclamation points here and there make you seem cheery
  • A simple smiley adds character to the post
  • Add some humor or a funny story
  • Relate to the person you are talking to
  • Don't rush to message that person
  • Think how the person reading it would think about you
Bottom Line
We can't entirely figure out the rel tone and emotions of the person talking. We can commonly misread them. Make sure to thnk before you post!

**I don't know why I said boyfriend but it could work for other things such as Webkinz and stuff

Last edited by *Serendipity*; 04-10-2009 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: spelling error
*Serendipity* is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
WhiteTerrierFan

Default Re: Reminder! Know the tone of your voice and how people interpret it! Read for tips on how to become more friendly just by typing better

I agree with you on this for the most part. In the end, it all comes back to putting more effort into posting, and not being so lazy about grammar and punctuation. For some of those ones, it sounds like something the staff would say, and in that case, they want to lay down the law to you and make sure it doesn't happen again. The other ones just seem careless when people post like that.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
no

badena2 defies all oddsbadena2 defies all odds
badena2 defies all odds

Default Re: Reminder! Know the tone of your voice and how people interpret it! Read for tips on how to become more friendly just by typing better

I agree! Some people could use friendlier words!
badena2 is offline Female
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
|_ () \/ 3
Gift Guru

lexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guide

I agree

I admit, sometimes I don't use periods, but I have been getting better at it!
lexi18216 is offline Female
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
uvs the weim

SOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonderSOSO910 wows us all with wonder

I agree.
I ALWAYS see posts made by new members like
"Cool thread"
or
"Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And it kinda bugs me sometimes.
It also bugs me when people type when you can not understand them
"gess what?! i got a new pup dog i named it daisy she is sososososo qutie!!!"
[I just made up that sentence]
SOSO910 is offline Female
Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Banned
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence

Awesome thread, Serendipity!

I always try to use a friendly tone, but sometimes I might have stepped outside the lines...
Old 04-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Wacky Be
Gifted

wikylo is a creator of wonder
wikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonder

I agree. Sometimes people post and i wonder, "Uhh, are they congratulating me or using sarcasm"

In fact:

One time the person and this other person were talking about something of mine on their profile. One of them had said, "I know I saw it "

and I had taken it the wrong way because it looked like the person was saying it offensively so I took it offensively.

so don't use certain smilies withot realizing the certain smilies w/o thinking of the certain emotion it portrays.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
oohoo I'm a
Gift Guru

jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!

Rep to you! I couldn't have said it better myself I hope others can find their way to this thread, it may make WI a better place if more people understood this

Last edited by jessicabarnhart; 04-10-2009 at 10:59 PM..
jessicabarnhart is offline Female
Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
realspirit12

*Serendipity* will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys! Hope you take this into consideration!
*Serendipity* is offline Female
Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Anti Twilight.

lizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by *Serendipity*
Hi, I'm Serendipity. I have some tips to help you guys sound nice and friendly here in WI!

Since we aren't talking in public, you have no idea how people are saying things. The way you type can affect the way people think of you, how your tone is, and how nice people think you are. Sometimes people sound unfriendly when they are not. Confusing when they are clear and easy to unerstand. Dumb when they are smart. That's baaad!

How People Think
What are people's reactions when they see a post? How friendly the person is. The way you type affects the way people opinionate on you. For example, this post gives people the idea of a person who justs wants to gain numbers of posts:

People think:
"Hum, they really don't care about my thread on how to cure cancer! They just want to gain posts for those little stars under their avatar!"

Not good. Another example:

People think:
"This person seems demanding and rude. I don't think I'll rate their thread"

Yet another example:

People think:
"Goodness! This person seems to overreact. I don't need to reply"

Sometimes when admins give you pointers, they seem to nag and be rude. Example:

What people think:
"Oh man I'm in trouble. My feelings are hurt. They should have been more nice when they said that."

Or this:

What people think:
"That's embarrassing! People think I am a troublemaker now. Could have been nicer..."

Changing the way you say things
Simple revising can go a long way! Try to edit your post or think to yourself!

Can turn into:

Or this:

Can turn into:

And this:

Can turn into:

And these:

Can turn into:

Tips and tricks
Follow these tips to be the friendliest kid in WI!
  • Exclamation points here and there make you seem cheery
  • A simple smiley adds character to the post
  • Add some humor or a funny story
  • Relate to the person you are talking to
  • Don't rush to message that person
  • Think how the person reading it would think about you
Bottom Line
We can't entirely figure out the rel tone and emotions of the person talking. We can commonly misread them. Make sure to thnk before you post!

**I don't know why I said boyfriend but it could work for other things such as Webkinz and stuff
I agree! A simple "Thanks for commenting" can turn into something like "Thanks for viewing my thread and commenting! " Rep!
lizzyxwebkinz is offline Female
Closed