Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #41
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Default Re: REMINDER: ages

View Post Originally Posted by slexeh
wow. i didn't really realize all that stuff would be against the rules.

i know it says no personal information, but why not grades?

it's not like you're saying "HEY LOOK AT ME! I GO TO SAINT JACOBY WILLIAMS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IN BUMBLEGUMBLE, ARIZONA AND I AM IN 6TH GRADE AND MY HAIR IS BLONDE AND IM ON THE SOCCER TEAM AND I RIDE BUS 42." that i could tottally understand as being unsafe. but just a school year? i guess i just don't get it.
I think I read once that certain ages are in a target range.
-Lilypad is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #42
calaxgoalie
Gifted

calaxgoalie will become famous soon enough

I agree with lillypad, its better to be safe then sorry.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #43
Bacillys

Yeah just your age can be enough. My couisn has something on my laptop that everytime I post something it checks for any info I might be posting, I can't even use certain words bc it will not let me post it. I just got am AIM account over the summer and I used it for less then 15 sec at school bc my teachers wanted to see for my wed design class AND when I got home there was a message from her asking why I had used it in school plus WHY I put in MY AGE a few times.
Busted now I can't use it until my mother has comfirmed with my teacher.

People can find you by simply following what you write and put a few things togethere here an dthere.
No private info guys at all even if it is your favorite color and then something a fav. outfit.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #44
Gift Guru

dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!

thanks for posting everyonte!
dreamb97 is offline Female
Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #45
GammaTwila
Gift Guru

snuggleb68 is just really nicesnuggleb68 is just really nice

View Post Originally Posted by princessgames
i don't see whats wrong with age, as long as you don't give out Your first and last name and no stuff like where you live ( Exept state ) Your Fine!
There are many mentally ill people who would prior on someone because they are a certain age.

They start with being "friendly" and discussing school stuff and next thing you know, they have all the other information as well. It's just a good idea not to give out your age or hint at it even.

Better safe and secure.
snuggleb68 is offline Female
Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #46
Gift Guru

dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!

thanks for posting!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #47
lizzie
Gifted

tacobell222 has disabled reputation

Thats a great piece of info! thanks!
View Post Originally Posted by Bonsai
I didn't make the rules, so I'm not entirely certain, but I'll try to explain the reasoning as I understand it. Please note first though, that this post isn't intended to scare you or anything - just help you understand WHY the rules, and internet safety in general, are so important.

Sooo... Let's say, you mention in one of your posts that you live in Arizona. Totally innocent, and not really personally identifying, right?

Now in another post, when someone asks for homework help, you respond saying you can't help with the answer because you're only in 6th grade. Again, totally innocent, right?

A week goes by, you don't even remember making those first two posts. Now you're in the Daily Chat Thread, in Open Mike. The subject is "What's your favorite sport?" You post saying that your favorite sport of all time is soccer, and that you've played since 3rd grade, and last year, your team won the league tournament. Again, totally innocent, right?

....But anyone who looks at your last week worth of posts now knows that you are a 6th grader in Arizona, who plays on a girls 11-13 soccer team that won a league tournament in 2007.

Over the next month, you make more innocent posts. In one, you mention your hair color. In another, maybe a Guess The Number giveaway in the Contests section, you pick 42, innocently mentioning that it's your favorite number because it's the number of your school bus this year, and 42 has been your jersey number for the past 3 years.

Let's say that's all you ever post. Not too bad, right? Let's see... We only know that you're in 6th grade, live in Arizona, play on a girls soccer team that won a league tourney, wear jersey number 42, have blonde hair, and ride bus 42. Uht oh.

And now if a "bad guy" is tech savvy, he can upload a picture onto a webiste that he owns. Any picture. Maybe a rainbow. Maybe a kitten. Every time someone views that picture, he can see their IP address. So now all he has to do, is PM you with that picture included in the message. It can be a totally innocent PM. BUT even if you delete it, and don't respond, as long as you opened it, he now has your IP address.

So now he can decipher your IP address... do a reverse lookup, use an IP to location tool, and find out the exact town or city where you live - BumbleGumble, AZ. So now they just have to google the 11-13 y/o girls soccer teams in BumbleGumble, and find out which one won the tournament. There's probably a team picture archived somewhere on the internet, from the news story that was inevitably run when your team won. It probably includes your first and last name, too. Just look for number 42 with blonde hair. BINGO! Now he just has to go sit outside the local school for a day, and look for the girl from the picture who is getting onto bus 42...

Even imagine how much easier it would make it to find you if you'd signed your first name on a post on a friend's profile. Yikes!

5 or 6 "innocent" pieces of information, in 5 or 6 different posts, spread over a month or two long period. You don't even remember making half of them, but that's all it takes. So the rules are meant to keep you safe. They're meant to prevent you from posting ANY identifying information about yourself. It's VERY easy to let little bits slip here and there, and think nothing of it. I know I do it all the time, often times without even thinking about it. (I'm over 18, and have all my info out there from my social/political activities anyways, so I know I'm a little more careless than I probably ought to be.) So the mods don't want anyone posting their state, city, age, school year, team names, first names, last names, etc. Nothing that can be used to identify you. The rules are there to make sure that WI is one of the safest sites on the internet, and a site where parents feel comfortable letting their kids visit.
tacobell222 is offline Female
Old 09-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #48
Gifted

Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum
Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum

*Nods Head* Same here, I've seen quite a few of these posts. This is a good reminder that needed to be posted.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #49
Voldemort is a
Webkinz :)

princessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledgeprincessgames flows towards the sea of knowledge

It is safe! No one can find out who you are just by age!
princessgames is offline Female
Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #50
Gift Guru

thanks for replying everyone
Closed