Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
pandagirl242
Gifted

koalagirl242 is a jewel in the roughkoalagirl242 is a jewel in the rough

Wink Remember: Be Safe Online! 6 tips for staying safe

Everyone....I cannot stress this enough. I just saw this presentation from the police that reminds us to NEVER EVER do the following:
(I thought I'd just remind you).

INTERNET SAFETY ADVICE:
1. Never post a picture of yourself online.
2. If you are going to post a picture make sure it does not have your real name in it.
3. If someone says, "This is what I look like" and then posts a real picture of themselves, don't believe that that is really them. They are most likely a horrible person that is trying to trick people into meeting them. Report any posts like this IMMEDIATELY.
4. If someone threatens you or says that they know who you are, report them IMMEDIATELY to a WI official.
5. If any bullying is occuring, do not take it lightly. Stand up for yourself and say that it will not be tolerated. If someone else is being bullied, don't run away, stay and defend them. Tell the bullies to back off.
6. If any member, whether you think you know them or not, says they want to meet you, and then gives the location, reject the offer and report them.

And one more thing....don't ever, ever think that you really know someone just by what they say online. EVER. No matter what they say or how they make you feel, they could very well be a dangerous online predator, nothing like they say!

You can have online friends, just make sure that you never try to meet them in real life.

Each year many kids and adults alike fall into the trap of online predators. Let's keep WI a safe and fun place for everyone!

If you like, read this story sent in by WhiteTerrierFan:

This story is not appropriate for WI. Do not post it again--Larkrose

I'd like to acknowledge the WI staff for their excellence in keeping WI safe! You guys are the best!

THANKS FOR READING AND STAY SAFE EVERYONE!

Last edited by larkrose; 01-23-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: add a tip
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Do you like cake?
Webkinz :)

rachel21 has much to be proud ofrachel21 has much to be proud ofrachel21 has much to be proud ofrachel21 has much to be proud of

Default Re: Remember: Be Safe Online! 6 tips for staying safe

Great reminer and tips, koalaggirl242!
rachel21 is offline Female
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
e all love our

fluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant future

Great thread! These safety tips are very helpful, and I am sure that they will help other users too. But I must say, that I think that only a first name being shared would be ok, but in some cases, you might want to keep it secret to yourself. Thanks for sharing those great tips on how to keep safe on the internet!
♥peep♥
fluffypup is offline Female
Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Call me Jules

Miley39 is on a distinguished road

thxz for the reminders! they will come in handy!
Miley39 is offline Female
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Gift Guru

tokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Great thread! Although I don't let my kids get online without me or my husband watching (They are still very young) and they are not allowed to get on any chat sites at all, I printed out your post and read all the 6 tips to them. It is never too early to educate your kids on internet safety and make them aware that those people behind your computer screen could be someone very very dangerous. Great tips and thank you for sharing!
tokyo rose is offline Female
Old 01-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
pandagirl242
Gifted

View Post Originally Posted by tokyo rose
Great thread! Although I don't let my kids get online without me or my husband watching (They are still very young) and they are not allowed to get on any chat sites at all, I printed out your post and read all the 6 tips to them. It is never too early to educate your kids on internet safety and make them aware that those people behind your computer screen could be someone very very dangerous. Great tips and thank you for sharing!
wow....I'm touched to be a part of your kids' safety! thanks so much!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #7

Irene will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this post.
I found the six things you posted extremely helpful, however, I don't think if someone posts a picture of themselves it makes them a bad person. Of course you shouldn't post a picture of what you look like, but others may do it for reasons such as example "everyone says I look great, but I don't think so. What do you think?" I'm just saying I've seen this before.
Thanks for the tips.
Irene is offline Female
Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
pandagirl242
Gifted

well, I agree with you, but what I meant by it was that someone may really be a horrible man, but he posts a picture of a young girl and says "this is me". But I see it from your point of view, too! thanks everyone!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Graystripe is a
Banned
webkingirl9819 is a splendid one to beholdwebkingirl9819 is a splendid one to beholdwebkingirl9819 is a splendid one to beholdwebkingirl9819 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for reminding us! Yes, too many people fall into this trap!!! I think those tips are very hepful and will help keep us all safe! Rep 4 u!
webkingirl9819 is offline Female
Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
lucky3900
Gifted

lucky3900 has much to be proud oflucky3900 has much to be proud oflucky3900 has much to be proud oflucky3900 has much to be proud of

Wow! Great tips! Thanks for sharing these. In some cases though, it's ok to share your first name. But in some cases not. Great thread.
lucky3900 is offline Female
Closed