Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
Webkinz :)

mandarine will become famous soon enough

Default Question about personal information sharing

This question is mostly for moderators, but if anybody else knows the official position on these rules, feel free to contribute.

I understand that one of the primary goals of this site is to provide a comfortable environment for members of all ages, but it seems to me that some of the rules intended to promote safety, particularly those regarding personal information, are a bit excessive. If we want to educate kids about safe internet procedures, wouldn't it be more helpful to differentiate between behaviors that are particularly risky, such as giving out an address, and others that are less so, such as mentioning an age? Such a distinction better enables kids to make appropriate decisions when sharing information on sites that may not have rigid safety rules as this one does.

I recently read a thread that was edited because it included the ages of people the author knew (and not anybody that was implied to be about the same age). This seems particularly unfounded. Are there good reasons for prohibiting the sharing of ages or general locations? I don't really see how these behaviors are harmful.
mandarine is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
FIA
FluffyInAlabama
Gift Guru

FIA has disabled reputation

Default Re: Question about personal information sharing

We are required to follow the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) which basically says that we can't allow children under the age of 13 to post information that might be used to identify them in the real world. Because WI is open to all ages, we choose to apply the same rules to everyone on the site, regardless of age. Over the years, we have discovered that, because of the nature of online communities like this, we need to be a bit more strict than COPPA requires.

If you ever have a question about why a specific post has been edited and/or deleted, feel free to ask a member of the staff. Our reasons for making the edit may not always be easy to see based on the text that is left behind.

We try to set a good example for all of the children on the site, especially those who are just learning about the internet and what is and isn't appropriate, but in the end, education about internet safety really falls to the parents.
FIA is offline Female
Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
#1Michael Landon fan

#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent#1NFL FAN has lots of talent

I agree mandarine !
#1NFL FAN is offline Female
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
ebkinz Day - YAY!
Gifted

WetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicness
WetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicnessWetNose is epic beyond epicness

WI Subscriber

Thanks FIA and staff for taking extra measures to protect privacy and keep kids safe here.
WetNose is offline Female
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
you're beautiful ✌
Gifted

Craftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owl
Craftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owl

I agree. But its something about the internet program they signed up for, they cannot let people post ages over the age of 18 I think. But they still don't let 18+ post ages either. I agree it'd be nice to know ages but I'm glad they try to keep us as safe as possible. (:
Craftyreader is offline Female
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

Ok, here are my thoughts on this..because I LOVE giving my thoughts. lol
People will always try to push the boundaries. I think it's good that the boundaries here are tight and well monitored. I would rather err on the side of caution with an internet site that has people from all over the world, of all ages, than have any kind of trouble. I love this site because it's so careful of safety. Just remember this; Way more than just the members here are reading your posts. Everyone in the world has potential access to this website, and the info you are posting. Sometimes we get comfortable with each other, thinking we know who we are chatting with...you really never know who is reading it.
I love the way WI is so careful to protect its own.
Desty is offline Female
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Gift Guru

fluffy113 is sweet stuff
fluffy113 is sweet stufffluffy113 is sweet stufffluffy113 is sweet stufffluffy113 is sweet stufffluffy113 is sweet stuff

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
Ok, here are my thoughts on this..because I LOVE giving my thoughts. lol
People will always try to push the boundaries. I think it's good that the boundaries here are tight and well monitored. I would rather err on the side of caution with an internet site that has people from all over the world, of all ages, than have any kind of trouble. I love this site because it's so careful of safety. Just remember this; Way more than just the members here are reading your posts. Everyone in the world has potential access to this website, and the info you are posting. Sometimes we get comfortable with each other, thinking we know who we are chatting with...you really never know who is reading it.
I love the way WI is so careful to protect its own.
I agree with you Desty, you never know who could be reading your posts. I googled my WI username and it came up with a lot of posts and threads that I had. Then I went to pictures and it showed some of the recent avatars that I had and recent pictures that I posted. I was then a little scared that anyone that typed in 'Fluffy113' could see what I saw. So yeah, I agree with you anyone can be watching and it really is just for your own saftey.
fluffy113 is offline Female
Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Lookie! I'm a
Gift Guru

doggoneit is a WI addict!
doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!doggoneit is a WI addict!

View Post Originally Posted by fluffy113
I agree with you Desty, you never know who could be reading your posts. I googled my WI username and it came up with a lot of posts and threads that I had. Then I went to pictures and it showed some of the recent avatars that I had and recent pictures that I posted. I was then a little scared that anyone that typed in 'Fluffy113' could see what I saw. So yeah, I agree with you anyone can be watching and it really is just for your own saftey.
That is true. I also tried googled my username and it came up with a lot of threads I made or posted in. I also agree with Desty. Once you post something on the internet and it's seen, you can't change it. I also like this site because it is so safe.
doggoneit is offline Female
Closed

Tags
alley&kate&ali