Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #31
my mom says im
Gifted

fuzzypenguin7 is a jewel in the roughfuzzypenguin7 is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Protecting the children.

Yeppers. I agree with you!

---------- fuzzypenguin7 added 1 Minutes and 13 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by Lhachwen
I am one of those moms that appreciate the diversity of this site and I was really impressed with its safety! I am glad WI looks out for the kiddles. My son is the reason I got into Webkinz and I certainly am having as much fun as he is. He isn't on WI because in our family we do not allow the use of message boards until they are in their teens but it is important for a child of any age to remember not everyone is what they seem and to ALWAYS keep their info secret! I liked the comment someone made about it being like a superhero and keeping your information secret! That was an awesome comparison! (I think it would be a cute thread to start: Webkinz as superheros and its secret identity would be the owner's details... which wouldn't be shared because then the villains could get them... sounds like a contest! lol)

My other children are on another virtual site that I am so disgusted with. But I have taught my kids the dangers of the internet and have given them countless warnings of those dangers (so many times they are like 'Ok mom, we know!!' lol). I trust them to make good decisions on that site but I do wish it were more like WI with its safety and its ideals. They are getting webkinz though for their b-days so maybe they will gravitate to WI instead! That would be nice since it is so much safer here than the other site. I suppose I shall see lol
May i ask what the website is that you are disgusted with?

Last edited by fuzzypenguin7; 08-09-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
fuzzypenguin7 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #32
Webkinz :)
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by lauraanne
I just read a thread from a very imaginative young person that would like to seperate WI into adult and kids section. They believed that it would be better because then they could share ages I love that this person is thinking of ways to enhance the enjoyment of WI. However, PLEASE remember that there is no way to prove a person is who they say they are. Please keep reminding the children to never give out information to anybody.
I know this is said all the time but it is very important.
If a person asks you your age don't give it to them. Instead please go to a mod and let them know. Please please follow this one very important rule.
I believe this should be the number one rule.
As adults we need to remember this also. We may be innocent in asking a question but the next person may not be ( and we have just made a child vulnerable) .
This is the one thing that scares me about the internet
I would like to see that parents read every PM their child sends and receives. Never let them delete the PMs until you have gone through them.
We need to protect Gods littlest
Every once in awhile, one of our members will create a thread reminding us all about safety! We can never have enough threads about that, so from me to you, lauranne, thanks for bringing the matter to our attention again-----as you can see from all the wonderful posts, we all agree with you 100%.

On these types of threads, I have my own usual 'shpeil' , so here it goes again: Adults are every bit as vulnerable to Internet Predators as children are-----and adults should be just as careful about not sharing personal information with their WI peers, (or anyone else, obviously.).

Different topic:
Internet safety is not just about keeping personal informaton safe, it is also using common sense in knowing what is appropriate and inappropriate to post on a thread. We are very lucky that Justin and Wendy give us as much freedom as they do: to have our own special interest clubs, in which we can gather together to meet with people who share our views on everything from religion to 'dating', and of course, to vegetarianism!

And being allowed to have those clubs is not a 'right', it is a gift from our WI staff---and we have to remain responsible and respectful about what we post.

luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 08-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #33
mackieb810

mackieb810 is on a distinguished road

just like fairlyoddmom said,if WI kid users got into fights or dont agree with something,its up to the adults to help stop the fight or disagreementand make it so that both members are happy.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #34
Gifted

bratzsasha will become famous soon enough

I agree completely. This site is great and webkins is awesome. Both places are very safe but we always have to watch out for the children!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #35
2222r
Gifted

2222r is the cats pajamas!2222r is the cats pajamas!2222r is the cats pajamas!2222r is the cats pajamas!2222r is the cats pajamas!2222r is the cats pajamas!

I think kids should be able to have their own PRIVITE messages, only if their parents trust them. Their parents could turn off the pm's till they are trusted again.
2222r is offline Female
Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #36
Gig 'Em Aggies!

Cheerkate1 is on a distinguished road

yes, they should
Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #37
Gifted

cheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to behold

I agree. I think I couldn't stand it if I was in a section with all kids. No offense to kids because I am one(well a teen), but adults always have such interesting ideas and topics and they have more insights. I guess I like to talk about things that are more adult oriented, but then agian I love talking about kid stuff too. If there was a section for teens only I'd be a little worried. I know what can happen if it is teens only. I also think people needed to be safe on the internet. Letting people post ages will compromise that, because I say I'm a teen, but you can't prove it and neither can I. Too much can happen on the internet, so keep WI the same!
cheekycatlover is offline Female
Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #38
hanse46 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the first post, there is no way to tell who is what. I would be very uncomfterable giving any information that would state my age and a manner to verify this. With ID theft on the up swing, I would just cease to be here rather then give away who I am.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #39
Gift Guru

lauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talent

Thank you everybody. What a great remeinder to adults from luvwebbies. We are also vulnerable. Actually, when I started this thread I thought of how often I am so open with people and yes that is a dangerous personality trait for all ages. Working in an industry where I travel all over we are taught to remember to not let anyone know the hotels where we layover at. Countless people inquire all the time. Most are innocent I am sure but if one isn't and a fellow employee opens up it puts us all at risk.
Lhachwen seems to be on the road to a unique idea for parents in helping to keep children safe. Bravo and thanks to you.
I believe children can receive PMs from one another but it is imperative that you remember not to give out information. Once again go to a mod or a parent if you feel you are being asked questions of a private nature.
Cyber bullying is a big problem today. If anyone hurts you or threatens you go to a mod. This will not be acceptable to the WI admin.
Finally, I am hoping that parents remember to take an active role in their childrens everyday lives.
Thank you to everyone for keeping this thread open and for all your wonderful input and ideas. Our youngest members can't thank you enough.. Neither can I.
lauraanne is offline Female
Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #40
Dotz4Spotz

View Post Originally Posted by lauraanne
I just read a thread from a very imaginative young person that would like to seperate WI into adult and kids section. They believed that it would be better because then they could share ages I love that this person is thinking of ways to enhance the enjoyment of WI. However, PLEASE remember that there is no way to prove a person is who they say they are. Please keep reminding the children to never give out information to anybody.
I know this is said all the time but it is very important.
If a person asks you your age don't give it to them. Instead please go to a mod and let them know. Please please follow this one very important rule.
I believe this should be the number one rule.
As adults we need to remember this also. We may be innocent in asking a question but the next person may not be ( and we have just made a child vulnerable) .
This is the one thing that scares me about the internet
I would like to see that parents read every PM their child sends and receives. Never let them delete the PMs until you have gone through them.
We need to protect Gods littlest
Thank-you for this purpose. I have been asked once when I was new here, and didn't know what to do, and now I don't remember who it was.
Closed