Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #21
Lil Kinz
~bailey~Keck~ is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Protecting the children.

Yes there has been many times on different Websites where people track people down, so i agree totally it is ok to say I am a kid or adult or a teen! but it should not be ok to say i am bla bla bla old! So I agree tottaly and I think everyone should read this!
~bailey~Keck~ is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
Edward prefers
Webkinz :)

superdiva123 has a spectacular aura about

I agree 100%! Well said!!!!!!
superdiva123 is offline Female
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #23
choochi

Arrow Re: Protecting the children.

View Post Originally Posted by lauraanne
I just read a thread from a very imaginative young person that would like to seperate WI into adult and kids section. They believed that it would be better because then they could share ages I love that this person is thinking of ways to enhance the enjoyment of WI. However, PLEASE remember that there is no way to prove a person is who they say they are. Please keep reminding the children to never give out information to anybody.
I know this is said all the time but it is very important.
If a person asks you your age don't give it to them. Instead please go to a mod and let them know. Please please follow this one very important rule.
I believe this should be the number one rule.
As adults we need to remember this also. We may be innocent in asking a question but the next person may not be ( and we have just made a child vulnerable) .
This is the one thing that scares me about the internet
I would like to see that parents read every PM their child sends and receives. Never let them delete the PMs until you have gone through them.
We need to protect Gods littlest
Uh, actually I am the "older" ones, and I was not saying for us to share ages, AT ALL, sry if u misunderstood me. I was aying that the teens and adults should have a CHOISE to go in a different forum. Not that we could share our ages. Ya know like a privledge. Like being gifted. U have to do certain things to get in. again sry u misinterpeted.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #24

michellemily has a spectacular aura about

It's an ideal that is nice to keep the children safe but most parents don't do that sort of looking and reading and or monitering of the computer. I mean seriously the only way to keep the kids fully safe is to not allow them on the computer. Don't forget kids can be sneaky and sneak onto the internet and there is always that threat that the child may think it's another child but it's not. We live in a world where parents work and grandparents watch the kids and have no idea what the internet is.

---------- michellemily added 3 Minutes and 48 Seconds later ----------

I may sound jaded but trust me I work with kids and they are not as innocent as most adults think, they are sneaky and crafty lol and find ways around every rule you give them. I'm talking grade school age!

Last edited by michellemily; 08-05-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
michellemily is offline Female
Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #25
angelofmaine
angelofmaine is a glorious beacon of lightangelofmaine is a glorious beacon of lightangelofmaine is a glorious beacon of light

michellemily: So very true! I've taught K-5 and they are very much underestimated! When my kids were younger, we sat down and gave absolute do's and dont's and I monitored their internet usage with stealth programs. Myspace has exposed many kids to preditors. Kids should also be advised not to mention their grade level or even what they are studying as it does give definite clues to an approximate age. Unfortunately, most kids/teens mistakenly have the Superman complex and cannot fathom a situation in which they could fall victim to such heinous real life villians. It is so tragic that we live in a world where children have to conceal their identities, but better to be safe. Even if the person you reply to is a saint, the next person to read the post, may not even come close to being decent.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #26
Gift Guru

lauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talentlauraanne has lots of talent

Thank you to fairlyoddmom for posting on this thread. As an administrator you know first hand of the work that the WI team puts into this site. Also, I think that an administrator speaking on the subject lets member know just how serious this rule is to the WI staff
Thank you to momwhoplays for sharing that important story as it may help other parents think of imaginative ways to teach children about safety.
Thank you to every parent who takes an active role in their childs safety. Thank you also to everyone who keeps an eye out for all children.
Thank you to angelofmaine for sharing her first hand experience as a teacher when it comes to a childs safety.
It may take a village but every journey begins at home.

---------- lauraanne added 16 Minutes and 35 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by choochi
Uh, actually I am the "older" ones, and I was not saying for us to share ages, AT ALL, sry if u misunderstood me. I was aying that the teens and adults should have a CHOISE to go in a different forum. Not that we could share our ages. Ya know like a privledge. Like being gifted. U have to do certain things to get in. again sry u misinterpeted.
I am sorry that I thought you were younger. The open mike forum gives us an option to discuss topics of interest to us. I think this is a great place to go and meet people of similar likes without age seperating. I wan't upset about your suggestion it just got me thinking about childrens safety and the adult responsiablity of keeping them safe. I hope you understand my view and I knew you really didn't mean to give actual ages but seperate forums makes age guessing alot easier for people.

Last edited by lauraanne; 08-05-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
lauraanne is offline Female
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
ladyprobatiner
Gift Guru

ladyprobationer will become famous soon enough

Thanks for writing this post as we can never tell the young ones how improtant it is to keep personal information off of the internet. I used to work in law inforcement and have seen many cases of people taking advantage of young people in regular much less on the internet when they have no idea who is on the other end. No one old or young should give out information to anyone unless they are really shure who is on the other computer and that they can trust them. Again thanks for reminding us of the dangers on the internet.
ladyprobationer is offline Female
Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #28
Banned
jorking has a reputation beyond reputejorking has a reputation beyond reputejorking has a reputation beyond reputejorking has a reputation beyond reputejorking has a reputation beyond reputejorking has a reputation beyond repute

As in your Avatar.... (Its kinda scarin me! )

Please dont call anyone wierd. -fairlyoddmom
jorking is offline Female
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #29
pancakes 4 Phillip

Lhachwen is a jewel in the roughLhachwen is a jewel in the rough

I am one of those moms that appreciate the diversity of this site and I was really impressed with its safety! I am glad WI looks out for the kiddles. My son is the reason I got into Webkinz and I certainly am having as much fun as he is. He isn't on WI because in our family we do not allow the use of message boards until they are in their teens but it is important for a child of any age to remember not everyone is what they seem and to ALWAYS keep their info secret! I liked the comment someone made about it being like a superhero and keeping your information secret! That was an awesome comparison! (I think it would be a cute thread to start: Webkinz as superheros and its secret identity would be the owner's details... which wouldn't be shared because then the villains could get them... sounds like a contest! lol)

My other children are on another virtual site that I am so disgusted with. But I have taught my kids the dangers of the internet and have given them countless warnings of those dangers (so many times they are like 'Ok mom, we know!!' lol). I trust them to make good decisions on that site but I do wish it were more like WI with its safety and its ideals. They are getting webkinz though for their b-days so maybe they will gravitate to WI instead! That would be nice since it is so much safer here than the other site. I suppose I shall see lol
Lhachwen is offline Female
Old 08-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #30
Gift Guru

dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!

i totally agree!
dreamb97 is offline Female
Closed