Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
call me ratty!
Gifted

rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!

Default PLZ try to make your post easier to read!

ok i see a lot of typos that make it hard to read things so when u make a post either read it through and fix any typos or skim it looking for words that have the red line under them and fix them. if they're words that u don't know how to spell, try to fix it but if u can't that's ok. just try not to post stuff like this:

hey htat's very cool! u shud...

u get the idea. so plz, help make WI an better, easier place! spell check!
rattyjol is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
HollieBunny
Webkinz :)

HollieBunny is on a distinguished road

Default Re: PLZ try to make your post easier to read!

Not to point out the obvious, but there are a lot of younger children as well as those who use "text speak" who post.
IMHO, using the shortened versions of words, like "u" for "you" or "plz" for "please" aren't any easier to read through than the ones that are misspelled, like "taht" or "yuor" both are incorrect, but you still get the gist of the point someone is making.

Personally, as a Mom, I'd like to see all the posts in clear, written English rather than text speak or misspelled, but that's not likely to happen any time soon since we're all only human. JMO.
HollieBunny is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Gifted

webkinz101 is the cats pajamas!webkinz101 is the cats pajamas!webkinz101 is the cats pajamas!webkinz101 is the cats pajamas!webkinz101 is the cats pajamas!webkinz101 is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by HollieBunny
Not to point out the obvious, but there are a lot of younger children as well as those who use "text speak" who post.
IMHO, using the shortened versions of words, like "u" for "you" or "plz" for "please" aren't any easier to read through than the ones that are misspelled, like "taht" or "yuor" both are incorrect, but you still get the gist of the point someone is making.

Personally, as a Mom, I'd like to see all the posts in clear, written English rather than text speak or misspelled, but that's not likely to happen any time soon since we're all only human. JMO.
I agree, I am a kid and I don't even know what "IMO" means! It's hard to keep up.
webkinz101 is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
nettne

nettne is a glorious beacon of lightnettne is a glorious beacon of lightnettne is a glorious beacon of light

I must say this thread is not easy to decipher either, but that being the point. I really wonder if people can even spell at all and how to they get graded at school for it. By the time I was in 5th grade I was reading, writing and comprehending at 2nd year college level. The thing about that - most of my class was also at the same levels. Now you can't even have a conversation with most kids. What's up ? To think ...the computer was supposed to help with that ! ???I find that correct spelling and less abbreviations work best. I can see abbreviating a word that is really long, but there are too many different languages and slang for all of them that mean different things. Also, depending on when you were in middle school the English language and it's slang terms are off the charts. I think people are getting extremely lazy & the solution is to actually use spell check. If you find yourself doing a lot of correcting then you will realize it is much easier to "do it right the first time " We go to school - to be able to communicate properly. So, where does the problem lie, with the parents who don't inforce what they have learned. No offense ment just my observation on this subject.
nettne is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
HollieBunny

IMO = In My Opinion
JMHO = Just My Humble Opinion

I absolutely mean no offense to anyone, but I don't think we're ever going to get everyone to go through and spell check all their words, nor do I think we should. This isn't a place where misspellings or text speak should be an issue, this is supposed to be a place of fun and sharing, and that's how quite a few younger people (and some older ones) write and instant message to their friends.
As I said, I'd love to see each post written clearly and concisesly in plain old English, but that's not an enforceable objective.
So someone doesn't spell every single word correctly, or there are typos, or even text speak (my personal pet peeve) as long as when you're in school or, when you get older and doing something professionally, you take the time required to make sure you spell properly and use the correct word form in the correct sentence, that is what really matters...and of course, always, always try to spell properly and don't use text speak when you write to Grandma and Grandpa!

As I said, as a a Mom, I'd love to see all those who use text speak and those who just misspell would take the time and the tiny effort to propely spell words out, but it's not going to happen, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Again, Just my opinion.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
call me ratty!
Gifted

rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!rattyjol is not just visiting!

ok sorry if i offended anyone but u and r aren't that bad in my opinion...
rattyjol is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

View Post Originally Posted by nettne
I must say this thread is not easy to decipher either, but that being the point. I really wonder if people can even spell at all and how to they get graded at school for it. By the time I was in 5th grade I was reading, writing and comprehending at 2nd year college level. The thing about that - most of my class was also at the same levels. Now you can't even have a conversation with most kids. What's up ? To think ...the computer was supposed to help with that ! ???I find that correct spelling and less abbreviations work best. I can see abbreviating a word that is really long, but there are too many different languages and slang for all of them that mean different things. Also, depending on when you were in middle school the English language and it's slang terms are off the charts. I think people are getting extremely lazy & the solution is to actually use spell check. If you find yourself doing a lot of correcting then you will realize it is much easier to "do it right the first time " We go to school - to be able to communicate properly. So, where does the problem lie, with the parents who don't inforce what they have learned. No offense ment just my observation on this subject.
I respectfully disagree. While I think it is great that you were at an advanced level, and I encourage all to go above and beyond what they are required to do, you never really know who is typing on the other end. Maybe someone who is typing out a message that has a few misspellings is someone who has dyslexia or another learning disability. Maybe English is their second language. English is my first language, and with all of the rules and exceptions, I get confused. Many people do not even have spell check on their computers. I personally would not risk downloading something and getting a virus that crashes my system.

And along with you, I mean no offense to you or anyone else with my views.
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 07-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
HollieBunny

I don't allow my children to use spellcheck, I think it's a bit like cheating (again, just my opinion) I didn't have spellcheck, I had proofreading my work myself to check for errors, sounding the word out and the dictionary.
I do think when it comes to posting on WI the grammar and spelling rules are, and should be, more relaxed, quite often it's someone very excited over something exciting that's happened and they want to share it with everyone else. Hardly a time when you're thinking, I better watch my spelling!!

A few typos or errors aren't going to make or break anyone, and if that's the biggest concern you've got, life is pretty doggone good!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
fallbullet4
Gifted

smurfette6496 has a spectacular aura about

Well, here's my opinion. If I can read it, it's fine to me. Other things like "omg its so nice 2 C u!" are fine with me, in my opinion, but some abbreviations take me longer to figure out, but I find them no different from the others. I really don't find anything THAT hard to read, but if I do it won't bother me, i just probably won't post on that thread if I can't read it. Honestly, I don't really think grammar is a whole big issue on WI, there are other problems too, like being rude is a whole different problem I won't get into. But thanks for making this thread so we could all share our thoughts.

Like everyone else, I did not wish to offend anybody.
smurfette6496 is offline Female
Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
ave
Banned
ave is a WI addict!
ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!

Donation Award 

I understand what you mean. When people use full chatspeak and such on posts, it's pretty annoying. I mean, a few typos I guess is fine, but extreme illiteracy ticks me off. However, we must understand that younger kids are on the site, and they might not know how to post with the correct grammar others use.
Closed