Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
charmingly
Gift Guru

mootooyou is the cats pajamas!mootooyou is the cats pajamas!mootooyou is the cats pajamas!mootooyou is the cats pajamas!mootooyou is the cats pajamas!mootooyou is the cats pajamas!

Donation Award 
Default Re: Please Read! About Grammar On Wi!

i always try to speak properly with correct grammar (hence the properLY- most people forget the LY) and i hate how a lot has become alot, notice how spell check underlines alot because there is no word alot it is a lot...

really i am sure we all have our pet peeves, such as my being lazy and using all lower case. if i am typing quickly and deep in thought, it is much easier for me to use lower case. i am sorry if i annoy anyone, but at least i use all words and no l33t sp34k.

i started chatting/playing online in 1996 when Quake (the first online first person shooter game) first came out and it was all mainly 14-20 year old boys playing. the bbiab, lol, gg, idk, wtg, etc. were beyond belief! one good thing though, i met my husband out on the battlefield!
mootooyou is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #42
blossumandme

i am not trying to be mean but i think we should type how we want on wi. It isnt THAT annoying. Sorry if this little comment disturbed you!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #43
Webkinz :)
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by cecily101
I totally agree to all of you! I mean, I try my best to get proper spelling, punctuation, etc. And all the people who normally make our lives harder
cuz is soper harte ta reed wat the r sayn!
I mean, come on! We are not in grade 1 are we? Maybe if the adults were their children!
OH! One of my BIGGEST pet peaves... The "they're" situation!
You see, if it has the apostraphe, then it means that little mark infront of the "R" is replacing a letter, which means the letter is "A." So if you were saying, "My friends are walking. There going to the mall." That would be wrong! It would have to be, "My friends are walking. They're going to the mall." -That would be correct!
The "there" means something like, "My hat is over there."
And the other "their" would be something like, "Those are their cards." The "their" means that is it a possesive. Which means that someone owns something in the sentence, story, etc. What I am really trying to say for the conclusion is that some people find it hard to read commas, periods, capitals, etc. But we "grammar members" find it easier. The thing is, if you stay in school, study, pay attention in class, etc. It will get you some where. Seriously. You NEED it in life almost more than food, water, clothing. (Okay, maybe not... ) Say you were on a desert island, stranded, and the only way to get off was by plane, and there was ONE single plane, but you had to READ the instructions BEFORE you could fly! So what would happen if you did not know how to do grammar, punctuation, etc? You would stay stranded, or you would crash! Now that is how you NEED grammar!

Please! Take it from a junior-high student!

Thankz for reading!
("Thankz"-I do it for fun, other than that, I am a perfectionist!)

~cecily101

Oh, and I especially agree with you on the "medieval" thing, too!

Oh, and I have another! The "too"! If you write "too" it means that you are adding on! Like I did up there! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^And if you do "to" it could mean, "I am going to the store."

Sorry, but I keep editing this to add on!!! GRR!
I really love this post, and admire your wanting to strive for perfection in the written word. And I think your message about good study habits is something even us adults need a reminder on!!!

I do happen to agree with you, but again, as I have stressed before: I am notorious for putting an apostrophe in where it doesn't belong when I am typing a post. (And omitting words, and often not capitilizing properly.)

I look back on some of my posts, horrified, and think: "OMG, what did I do there???" again--my typing is not that great, and to post a reply or a thought, I'm honestly not going to proofread my text.

I think what I personally would like to see on the boards is a little balance: Some texting lingo is fine, sure. But a paragraph of lol, brb, abc, xyz, 123, just loses me!
As for spelling, we do have a lot of young people, so they deserve a little pass on this, too.

I will end with this thought: Really, it's never a bad idea to try to express ourselves with the best possible grammar, punctuation, and spelling as possible.

Because people tend to take our opinions and thoughts far more seriously when we attempt to spell well, and communicate properly.
luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #44
♀ jaxcat ϓ
Gift Guru

jaxcat has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by mootooyou
one good thing though, i met my husband out on the battlefield!
That is way too cool!
jaxcat is offline Female
Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #45
e ♥ counting!!
Gift Guru

BERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contest
BERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contest

View Post Originally Posted by blossumandme
i am not trying to be mean but i think we should type how we want on wi. It isnt THAT annoying. Sorry if this little comment disturbed you!!
You don't get to make up your own rules here. It is a private forum and the guidelines are very clear on this subject.

Everyone should use clear English. Here is a quote from the Forum Rules.

Quote:
Things we'd rather you not do: ... use 'Text Speak' in your posts. Please take the time to write replies in English.
View Post Originally Posted by Hollyrocks7
u don't have to say sorry 2 her u can type any way u want
Now, this is just rude, in my opinion. If someone wants to apologize for having ignored these rules, that is their choice. You don't make that decision for them just because you would rather be lazy and inconsiderate of others. Really!

Again, you don't make up your own rules here. Most of us will be tolerant of some 'text speak', because most teens and pre-teens are used to talking that way. But it has gone too far when you say that you will ignore the rules on purpose.

BERT_X is offline Male
Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #46
aerialstar11
Gift Guru

aerialstar11 has much to be proud ofaerialstar11 has much to be proud ofaerialstar11 has much to be proud ofaerialstar11 has much to be proud ofaerialstar11 has much to be proud of

Ya, I normally type correctly, but when I feel lazy... I talk using things like wats up, and u, and 2, when i'm IMing and stuff ;] ♥
aerialstar11 is offline Female
Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #47
rangerdad

King is on a distinguished road

yea ppl shud use pr0pa gramma on da WI site!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #48
e ♥ counting!!
Gift Guru

BERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contest
BERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contestBERT_X could win a popularity contest

View Post Originally Posted by King
yea ppl shud use pr0pa gramma on da WI site!
Ha ha ha hah! But, you could have typed "uze", "un" and "sight" too!!

OK, we can forgive this one -- because it was so funny!!
BERT_X is offline Male
Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #49
Colettes122
Gifted

Colettes122 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I know it really gets on my nerves i do type in computer language sometimes but you can understand me. Thats just a bad habit that i have to stop.
Maybe I could make a no computer words thread.
Is that a good idea?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #50
for trading only
Gift Guru

rbckid will become famous soon enough

View Post Originally Posted by Gingerlytoo
Also....if you read the Forum Rules, it
says "text speak" is not permitted here.
thanks for pointing this out. it seems that many of us have forgotten to read that rule. i also think we do children a great disservice by allowing them to use so much shorthand. some schools even allow that in class work! i use "text speak" on occasion, but now that i know it's against the rules i will try to refrain.
and, yes, i know i don't capitalize, but that's my personal quirk, i guess. but my hubby will tell anyone that asks that i'm a grammar nazi. haha
Closed