Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!


Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #51
HEY! I'M BACKERSSSS!
Webkinz :)
 
Franks's Avatar
Franks is the cats pajamas!Franks is the cats pajamas!Franks is the cats pajamas!Franks is the cats pajamas!Franks is the cats pajamas!Franks is the cats pajamas!

Donation Award 
Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

I agree with Dixiecup! (LOL youngsters!)
Franks is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #52
harlequinn
Guest

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

View Post Originally Posted by Dixiecup
I suppose it may seem redundant to an adult. However, a great deal of our contributors are preteen and teens. They learn through repetition and sometimes admonition from peers is much more readily accepted by them than by an adult with an over-inflated sense of superiority. (not aimed at anyone, just some adults DO tend to come off that way)
It may seem repetitive and tedious to you, these youngsters still have these valuable life lessons to learn and I am glad to see them exercising these skillls right here on
One final note...You can never do wrong by doing right
I agree that kids are sometimes better able than even adults to accept/deal with criticism (to an extent). But this just goes to prove my point that kids CAN handle such criticism, and we needn't worry ourselves with sanitizing every aspect of their lives.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'adults with an over-inflated sense of superiority'. Unless I'm mistaken, it is not adults who post comments like "ewww! that stinks!" (at least I certainly hope not! lol), so I'm not sure what your point is.

My concern is also about the 'life lessons' children learn/excercise online and elsewhere. It concerns me that children may be getting a skewed perception of life and society when they are presented with nothing but a filtered, sanitized perspective of the world.

Also, I would never argue that it is wrong to do right. However, I would argue that censorship, of both others AND yourself, may not always be the 'right' course of action to take.

Someone in this thread posted something to the effect of "Never say anything that might offend someone" and I almost cringed. Many great things may never have been said if everyone lived their lives this way.

It's no fun to live your life constantly worrying about whose toes you're going to step on. Live to be a decent person, and you won't have to watch what you say! =)

Last edited by harlequinn; 01-16-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: nvm
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #53
Gift Guru
 
K1234's Avatar
K1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 
Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

When stating that you don't like something all you have to add is:
"this is only my opinion and it isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings"
And please be nice when you don't like something like:

"I don't really like that but that is only my opinion and I think its great that you came up with a poll or a new idea"
Just remember not everyone thinks and feels the same way.

Last edited by K1234; 01-16-2009 at 07:56 AM..
K1234 is offline Female
Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #54
World's largest
Webkinz :)
 
Tj03's Avatar
Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

View Post Originally Posted by harlequinn
I agree that kids are sometimes better able than even adults to accept/deal with criticism (to an extent). But this just goes to prove my point that kids CAN handle such criticism, and we needn't worry ourselves with sanitizing every aspect of their lives.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'adults with an over-inflated sense of superiority'. Unless I'm mistaken, it is not adults who post comments like "ewww! that stinks!" (at least I certainly hope not! lol), so I'm not sure what your point is.

My concern is also about the 'life lessons' children learn/excercise online and elsewhere. It concerns me that children may be getting a skewed perception of life and society when they are presented with nothing but a filtered, sanitized perspective of the world.

Also, I would never argue that it is wrong to do right. However, I would argue that censorship, of both others AND yourself, may not always be the 'right' course of action to take.

Someone in this thread posted something to the effect of "Never say anything that might offend someone" and I almost cringed. Many great things may never have been said if everyone lived their lives this way.

It's no fun to live your life constantly worrying about whose toes you're going to step on. Live to be a decent person, and you won't have to watch what you say! =)
I don't see restricting what is said as sanitizing the world, but creating a safe online space. There are enough other places, myspace, facebook, msn, etc. that kids can get cyber-bullied, it need not happen here as well. I think learning to accept criticism is fine, but being called stupid is unacceptable.

Kids face a lot of teasing, etc. in their offline lives, I don't think that offering a safe space here is giving them a 'filtered' or 'sanitized' perspective of the world. I have taught highschool, and some of the things that I saw and heard those kids saying and doing to one another was crazy. Many well adjusted adults wouldn't be able to deal with it. Kids seen enough harsh reality everyday, they don't need to get it here as well.
Tj03 is offline
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #55
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted
 
Dixiecup's Avatar
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

View Post Originally Posted by harlequinn
I agree that kids are sometimes better able than even adults to accept/deal with criticism (to an extent). But this just goes to prove my point that kids CAN handle such criticism, and we needn't worry ourselves with sanitizing every aspect of their lives.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'adults with an over-inflated sense of superiority'. Unless I'm mistaken, it is not adults who post comments like "ewww! that stinks!" (at least I certainly hope not! lol), so I'm not sure what your point is.

My concern is also about the 'life lessons' children learn/excercise online and elsewhere. It concerns me that children may be getting a skewed perception of life and society when they are presented with nothing but a filtered, sanitized perspective of the world.

Also, I would never argue that it is wrong to do right. However, I would argue that censorship, of both others AND yourself, may not always be the 'right' course of action to take.

Someone in this thread posted something to the effect of "Never say anything that might offend someone" and I almost cringed. Many great things may never have been said if everyone lived their lives this way.

It's no fun to live your life constantly worrying about whose toes you're going to step on. Live to be a decent person, and you won't have to watch what you say! =)
I think that you may be mistaking Courtesy and Empathy for censorship, Harlequinn. You know, you may well think that it is not a good ideal to project a 'sanitized' environment for everyone, here because you have been well coached in all aspects of the internet and seemed to have a healthy respect for the boundaries. But, we cannot judge others by ourselves. Just because we know these things doesn't mean that we should take for granted that others do.
You have a principle and the end of your post that says it ALL, Strive to be decent and you won't have to watch what you say.
Justin and Wendy have provided a safe and secure environment where people can come together and share their knowledge base. They opened the forum to people and have met the call most admirably, to my mind. The two Founders of this site model and practice a caring and compassionate standard that a LOT of us long timers employ in our posts to others, No matter the age.
'Many great things may have never been said had someone stopped to think whom they might offend' is just biased thinking. Many of the great things that have been said were thought out before they were ever brought to bear. Knowing what the extent and end result would be.
Simply put; Put brain in action before putting tongue in gear. (In our case, here, before you hit that submit button)
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #56
The hippie writer
Gift Guru
 
Ivie's Avatar
Ivie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socks

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

View Post Originally Posted by harlequinn
I agree that kids are sometimes better able than even adults to accept/deal with criticism (to an extent). But this just goes to prove my point that kids CAN handle such criticism, and we needn't worry ourselves with sanitizing every aspect of their lives.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'adults with an over-inflated sense of superiority'. Unless I'm mistaken, it is not adults who post comments like "ewww! that stinks!" (at least I certainly hope not! lol), so I'm not sure what your point is.

My concern is also about the 'life lessons' children learn/excercise online and elsewhere. It concerns me that children may be getting a skewed perception of life and society when they are presented with nothing but a filtered, sanitized perspective of the world.

Also, I would never argue that it is wrong to do right. However, I would argue that censorship, of both others AND yourself, may not always be the 'right' course of action to take.

Someone in this thread posted something to the effect of "Never say anything that might offend someone" and I almost cringed. Many great things may never have been said if everyone lived their lives this way.

It's no fun to live your life constantly worrying about whose toes you're going to step on. Live to be a decent person, and you won't have to watch what you say! =)
I agree and disagree so I'm respondeding to each point induviually.

I agree, kid cannot learn to live in a filtered world. the more you hide things, the bigger the shock factor will be when kids DO find out. You can't hide things FOREVER

Also, "adults with an over-inflated sense of superiority" are everywhere. In fact, I think that quite a lot of them are the people that TRY to hide things from kids since we are "inocent" and "too young to handle such things" I also think as many adults are saying things like (I have read this comment) "Leave the writing to the adults". Sometimes adults are to quick to discount a kid's idea and end up being mean.

Agree here. If kids are taking life's lesson from WI, then santzing and filtering everything means they will see a funhouse mirror version of the world, and that doesn't help kids.

Agree with censoship being a bad thing. If The americans had "not said anything if they couldn't say anything ncie" we'd still be over in England! If Rahcel Carson had "not offended anyone" almost all birds would be extinct! If we are respectful, then everything is fine.

I'm a preteen, and I cry out for some understanding. I do NOT need things to be filtered and hid! The world is out there, and if I realize stuff has been hidden, I'm not going to trust adults.

I hope you enjoyed!
-Ivie
Ivie is offline Female
Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #57
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted
 
Dixiecup's Avatar
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

I am not trying to negate or discourage any input, here. In fact; I appreciate it
I value these perspectives.
I stated previously, the 'offensive' statements that have had an impact in our lives were long researched and contained irrefutable evidence that an action to change was required. But, at the same time, they explored the avenues and presented them as a remedy to affect that change.
Prejudicial and inflammatory remarks are offensive because they are a personal attack. They do nothing to increase the value or quality of a thread, nor the to worth of the individuals, attacker and victim, alike.
They cheapen the thread and make it difficult for people wanting to post. Fearful of their contributions adding fuel to a fire or risking sounding foolish in an attempt to agree.
I have to agree with Tj03 when she says that there enough other forums on the internet like Facebook and Myspace where disparaging remarks and cyber-bullying seem to be the norm and acceptable.
provides a safe haven for both Parents and children, alike. It does not give the illusion that the whole world is like this...just this one little corner
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #58
Webkinz :)
 
kelbel22's Avatar
kelbel22 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

I think if you ask a poll for everyone to comment on, and don't want bad replies, you are opening a can of worms. If you ask people to comment, not only people that like the band, ect. will comment!
If you know what you believe(for example... I like the twilight series, and someone makes a bad comment) try just to brush off the bad comments, because they're never going to go away completely. And people are always entitled to good opinions or bad, so you're going to hear both sides!
kelbel22 is offline Female
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #59
Imma Gleek
Webkinz :)
 
maltlvr5's Avatar
maltlvr5 has much to be proud ofmaltlvr5 has much to be proud ofmaltlvr5 has much to be proud ofmaltlvr5 has much to be proud ofmaltlvr5 has much to be proud of

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

Okay,
So yes I think your right but, if you make a thread like that you have to be repard for some negative feedback. For instance it's a thread about....Potatos and everyone is saying I love potatos potatos are awesome. Theres gonna be one person that sayys Potatos stink and the taste nasty too. You just have to be prepared. I believe they should say something more like 'In my opinion I do not like potatos. It's okay if you guys like them I just don't'
So yeah, Think before you press 'post' guys
~kara~
maltlvr5 is offline Female
Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #60
Banned
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence

Default Re: Please, please, please don't say things like this!

View Post Originally Posted by Dixiecup
I am not trying to negate or discourage any input, here. In fact; I appreciate it
I value these perspectives.
I stated previously, the 'offensive' statements that have had an impact in our lives were long researched and contained irrefutable evidence that an action to change was required. But, at the same time, they explored the avenues and presented them as a remedy to affect that change.
Prejudicial and inflammatory remarks are offensive because they are a personal attack. They do nothing to increase the value or quality of a thread, nor the to worth of the individuals, attacker and victim, alike.
They cheapen the thread and make it difficult for people wanting to post. Fearful of their contributions adding fuel to a fire or risking sounding foolish in an attempt to agree.
I have to agree with Tj03 when she says that there enough other forums on the internet like Facebook and Myspace where disparaging remarks and cyber-bullying seem to be the norm and acceptable.
provides a safe haven for both Parents and children, alike. It does not give the illusion that the whole world is like this...just this one little corner

I'm gonna have to go get myself a dictionary cause I don't know what half of these words mean xD
dotdotduck is offline
Closed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Kopi Enterprises, LLC
WebkinzInsider.Com is not an official site of, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Ganz, Inc, Webkinz, Lil'Kinz, or Kinzville Newz and all character names, logos, and images are trademarks owned by Ganz, Inc.
no new posts