Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #51
onderful (>*-*)
Webkinz :)

Sugaree is just really niceSugaree is just really nice

Default Re: Peace Symbol Emoticon

View Post Originally Posted by Hmm
May I ask what is controversial about this symbol that might cause offense? I am curious about this, as I have not heard about this controversy before. I don't want to offend anyone, but I would at least like to know how this symbol offends before we scuttle it.

Thanks so much.

Hmm

As human beings we are all about symbols. Even our language uses symbols; such as the alphabet. We use symbols to indicate traffic control, handicapped access, men's and women's restrooms and so forth. The symbol that is known as the "peace sign" is actually an anti-Christian symbol, a broken and inverted cross; commonly called the Cross of Nero. Thousands of Christians were martyred during Nero's rule and this sign is of Nero representing his vision. A vision of hate and perversion, a mocking of Christianity. I understand that many may not be aware of its true meaning. Since over history it has become many things to many people, interpreted in many different ways. It has been argued and hotly debated for a very long time what it really stands for. Over the course of time it has been used and displayed in various ways. Some examples being; From Satanists to Hitler's troops to the sought after revolution in the 1960's flaunted as the "peace symbol" for nuclear disarmament to name a few.

Suffice it to say, throughout history it has meant more negative things then good. I have no clue why it is so overlooked in today's world. As it was such a heinous sign not even 50 years ago.

On another note, if people truly want to adopt and embrace a sign of peace as said, why must it be a sign of so much controversy from the start? The debate over this symbol is nothing new. It is what it is, and you can argue, debate, search history, and all its worth to find out the many "faces" of this one symbol and what it stands for, what it means, for the many people who have come to use it. But in the end, no matter how its interpreted or intended for now, I cannot condone it nor approve of it.

As I stated prior Hmm, I really think it's a wonderful idea of yours to include a symbol of peace in the designs of this site and I applaud you for that

Best Wishes~

Respectfully~ Sugaree
Sugaree is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #52
ill PM
Gift Guru

Ergoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talent

Donation Award 

I would like to suggest that we might consider a dove or olive branch. What do you think Hmm?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #53
Gift Guru

LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!

You are simply brilliant, Hmm.
I love this idea and hope to see it soon.

View Post Originally Posted by Sugaree
As human beings we are all about symbols. Even our language uses symbols; such as the alphabet. We use symbols to indicate traffic control, handicapped access, men's and women's restrooms and so forth. The symbol that is known as the "peace sign" is actually an anti-Christian symbol, a broken and inverted cross; commonly called the Cross of Nero. Thousands of Christians were martyred during Nero's rule and this sign is of Nero representing his vision. A vision of hate and perversion, a mocking of Christianity. I understand that many may not be aware of its true meaning. Since over history it has become many things to many people, interpreted in many different ways. It has been argued and hotly debated for a very long time what it really stands for. Over the course of time it has been used and displayed in various ways. Some examples being; From Satanists to Hitler's troops to the sought after revolution in the 1960's flaunted as the "peace symbol" for nuclear disarmament to name a few.

Suffice it to say, throughout history it has meant more negative things then good. I have no clue why it is so overlooked in today's world. As it was such a heinous sign not even 50 years ago.

On another note, if people truly want to adopt and embrace a sign of peace as said, why must it be a sign of so much controversy from the start? The debate over this symbol is nothing new. It is what it is, and you can argue, debate, search history, and all its worth to find out the many "faces" of this one symbol and what it stands for, what it means, for the many people who have come to use it. But in the end, no matter how its interpreted or intended for now, I cannot condone it nor approve of it.

As I stated prior Hmm, I really think it's a wonderful idea of yours to include a symbol of peace in the designs of this site and I applaud you for that

Best Wishes~

Respectfully~ Sugaree
Ah, yes...it is and has been a controversial symbol.
I have learned much about this is in my life.

Sadly, I can't exactly remember what exactly it is.
A quick google search was landing me upon some helpful sites to what Sugaree speaks of.

This site: The 50th Anniversary Of The Peace Symbol - CBS News
and in general, just a google search on "peace sign meanings" or "peace sign controversy" should do the trick.

Last edited by LilyRose; 04-24-2009 at 06:34 PM..
LilyRose is offline Female
Old 04-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #54
Make a wish to the
Gift Guru

webkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talent

Best Wishes~

Respectfully~ Sugaree
Ahh ... I see. I never knew a simple symbol could have that much depth in meaning, and so much history. Well, even if 99.9% of WI agrees on this symbol, it still wouldn't be right to have such a controversal sign in the smilies, almost a constant reminder to those who disagree. Now I'm on the fence .... a peace sign (in general) still would be kind of cool ... but maybe not that specific sign? Like someone else suggested, maybe a dove? or an olive branch?
webkinzluver321 is offline Female
Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #55
Jacob thinks I'm
Gifted

Maggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with graceMaggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with graceMaggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with graceMaggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with graceMaggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with graceMaggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with graceMaggie Mae wears the mantle of perfection with grace

I understand the history behind the peace symbol, and I respect the opinion of those opposed to it. That being said, that is in the past, and I feel like we have created a great meaning for the symbol in today's time. I feel like this version, created by members here, represents the idea of peace between WI and Ganz, and I still plan to proudly display it in my siggy for that reason
Maggie Mae is offline Female
Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #56
uvs being an insane

Smiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud ofSmiley Rockr has much to be proud of

I would use that so much! It really symbolizes WI, with the colors and it resembles the fact htat we bring da peace Lol

Best Wishes~

Respectfully~ Sugaree
Wow! I will say that now, it's more assoiated with world peace. Funnt how it chaned so much over the years...
Smiley Rockr is offline Female
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #57

bballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter covered
bballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter covered

Yes please! I've been having a hard time trying to get it on my signature. A few very kind people have helped but i'm still a little bit confused and it would be wonderful if it could be selected. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #58
Make a wish to the
Gift Guru

webkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talentwebkinzluver321 has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by bballmars
Yes please! I've been having a hard time trying to get it on my signature. A few very kind people have helped but i'm still a little bit confused and it would be wonderful if it could be selected. Thanks!
Oh, do you still need help? Well, you could just save it as a picture, and then ... well, do you know how to upload picture siggies?
webkinzluver321 is offline Female
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #59

bballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter covered
bballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter coveredbballmars is glitter covered

Best Wishes~

Respectfully~ Sugaree
I had no idea! But you know, though we can't undo the past, things change over time. Words change meanings over time, good to bad, bad to good, and it's just part of life. It's more commonly known as the peace sign now. But, since this controversy has come to my attention, i suggest that maybe we make anothe symbol for peace. Something that won't offend anyone and truly stands for purity and peace.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #60
Gift Guru

Icicle20 is the cats pajamas!Icicle20 is the cats pajamas!Icicle20 is the cats pajamas!Icicle20 is the cats pajamas!Icicle20 is the cats pajamas!Icicle20 is the cats pajamas!

Donation Award 

Hope it can be added! We really do need a "Peace" emoticon.
Great suggestion, Hmm!
Icicle20 is offline Male
Closed

Tags
a rockhead was here, ben 10 is new here, cool wuz here, i joined, i wask here :), loooove it!, music (aub) <3, paco the taco!, peace love and webkinz, peace to wi, peace yo!~vgrl8910, peace~♥~wl321~, so cool!