Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

Question No Discussion of Trades Clarification

My understanding of the the rule 'no discussion of trades outside the gift exchange forum' was that this only banned discussion of specific trade details. In particular:

(1) Arranging trades outside the gift exchange forum (I have item ... , anyone have ... to trade)

and

(2) Discussion of specific trades (hey I can't believe I got ... in trade for ...).

That said, after being away a few weeks I was surpirzed to find a thread I had started regarding 'strange trading practices' (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/f166/weird-traders-588651/index2.html) was found be a moderator to be in violation of this policy.

However, in some ways I was even more suprized to find that the 'guide to scammers' thread (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/f166/guide-scammers-trading-room-webkinz-world-450338/) had not met with a similar fate consdering not only does it talk about the goings on in the trading room but it details specific 'bad trades' which have occured (I got suckered in trading ... for ...).

Is the policy 'Absolutely No Discussion of Trading or Trades outside the GI Forum' (in other words, a complete ban on any discussion of what goes on in the trading room) or was my original understanding correct? Either way, is the later thread not in conflict with the policy?

I am just looking for clarification so I can better self moderate my future posts.

Thanks!
JustDad is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: No Discussion of Trades Clarification

I guess my advice would be to just go with "better safe than sorry", and just avoid discussing any kind of trading experiences. If there is a trader in WW that is scamming, I guess you could post a warning to avoid that person.
Desty is offline Female
Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
I Rocks!!
Gift Guru

Jennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the rep
Jennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the repJennielou invented the rep

That thread should be for showing scams that people try to pull on you and nothing about "they scammed me this for that". It was intended to show items people may not be aware of what they are and what scammers are trying to pass them off as.
If you see trade specifics, flag it. I cleaned up some in there just now.
Jennielou is offline Female
Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #4

JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!JustDad is the bees knees!

I am still confused. Is the policy 'No discussion of trades & the goings on in the trading room' or simply "No discussion of what has been traded or offers to trade."

I was not being critical of the 'trading scams' thread but rather using it as an example of a 'tollerated' thread which would appear to break the 'no talking about trades and trading' policy' and as such open the door giving the impression that this type discussion is allowed.

Perhaps moving this topic to a Wkii or adding a 'Warmimg Header' along lines of:

"Although WI policy bans threads discussing trades and trading, due to the number of scams which take place in the trading room this thread has been allowed as a place to warn others of possible scams.

Please make sure that your posts do not include details of specfici trades. Also, keep discusion of trade scams and trading to thiis thread."

would help make it clear what is 'allowed'.

A related concnern which comes to mind with regards to the 'trading scams thread' in particular is iif this thread is as much a blue print for how to scam as a warning to protect against scams.

It would be nice to think that every member of WebKinz World read this thread but we know that is not the case. It would also me nice to assume that everyone who read this thread was well intentioned.

Unfortunately each time a 'new scam' is posted the number of people trying the scam in the trading room sky rockets... I fear that too many are using this thread for ideas as to how to scam.
JustDad is offline Male
Old 01-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
e all need love!
Gift Guru

mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!
mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!mommaluvsmush is a WI addict!

Donation Award 

I think those who go to the Trading Room (or come here, for that matter) with the intention of trying to hoodwink people already have an idea of how to go about it : (

There were many, many "scammers" before that thread was put up; I do not believe it created any new ones.
I honestly believe people are being educated about what to look for - making it more difficult for the dishonest to take advantage of people.

I do think your idea of reminding people not to discuss the specific terms of a trade is a good one : )
mommaluvsmush is offline Female
Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #6

Ladyt has disabled reputation

I have a related question to this topic...

Could some one please tell me why we are not allowed to discuss trade specifics? I'm sure there is a very good reason but at this point it escapes me.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #7

twinkletoez is on a distinguished road

Being that i am relatively new to WI. Can someone please tell me what the big deal is about discussing your trades or trade experiences? I understand not mentioning names or user IDs but why can't people discuss their trade experience? I just don't see anything wrong with having discussions about trading what you gave and received. Please explain bacause to me I just don't see what the problem is as long as it doesn't include personal or identifing information. Thanks in advance for your help understanding this particular rule at WI.
twinkletoez is offline Female
Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #8
pollywog2
Gift Guru

pollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roost

View Post Originally Posted by twinkletoez
Being that i am relatively new to WI. Can someone please tell me what the big deal is about discussing your trades or trade experiences? I understand not mentioning names or user IDs but why can't people discuss their trade experience? I just don't see anything wrong with having discussions about trading what you gave and received. Please explain bacause to me I just don't see what the problem is as long as it doesn't include personal or identifing information. Thanks in advance for your help understanding this particular rule at WI.
View Post Originally Posted by Ladyt
I have a related question to this topic...

Could some one please tell me why we are not allowed to discuss trade specifics? I'm sure there is a very good reason but at this point it escapes me.
There is a gift exchange section on the board where "gifted" members and "gift gurus" can trade items, there are rules in placeon that part of the board as well, and those rules protect everyone ensuring fairness to everyone. If you are not gifted I don't believe that you can access that part of the board. One of the best ways to keep trade talk wherer it should be (on the gift exchange) is to ban it every where else. You can just imagine how that could get out of control and hard to find out who has what for trade if it was not contained.

As for the trading room talk, for the firddt few weeks that the trading room was open people were posting like mad..."I just traded my X (insert cheap item) for an X (insert hugely rare priceless item) and it was really distasteful because these people were all aware of the WIGEV and were taking advantage of others... thay were really just coming here to brag and so, the rule of no specifics of TR trades was instituted.

Since this is a huge board and it is impossible to monitor every post these rules need to exist. This way no one is advertising their item by taking about it, nobody is bragging about hugely unfair trades and the mods can keep track of all trade talk in one area. Hope this helps.

Last edited by pollywog; 01-22-2010 at 05:42 AM..
pollywog is offline Female
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
pollywog2
Gift Guru

pollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roostpollywog rules the roost

View Post Originally Posted by JustDad
Unfortunately each time a 'new scam' is posted the number of people trying the scam in the trading room sky rockets... I fear that too many are using this thread for ideas as to how to scam.
I hear you on that one.. but as long as I have read the thread I am forewarned. It is always buyer/trader beware... the first that a day combo for the clothing machine is discovered it is offered all over the TR as kinzstyle and if I wasn't a WI member I might not have known better. So it would seem that the posted combo's are certainly "how-to guides" but I'd rather be prepared and know what is out there.

Like you I can be confused about what is allowed and not allowed, I once answered a post that I thought was OK but the thread got closed and we were not even being specific, and it was n the clubhouse/trading room section. I try to play it safe and say (in the clubhouse/TR section only) something like "he offered food my exclusive"... actually it would be nice to see samples of what is allowed and what is not allowed!
pollywog is offline Female
Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
Kafeebunny
Gift Guru

Kayfookey is a wise owlKayfookey is a wise owlKayfookey is a wise owlKayfookey is a wise owl
Kayfookey is a wise owlKayfookey is a wise owl

View Post Originally Posted by JustDad
That said, after being away a few weeks I was surpirzed to find a thread I had started regarding 'strange trading practices' (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/f166/weird-traders-588651/index2.html) was found be a moderator to be in violation of this policy.

Thanks!
I'm not if you were aware of this, but the thread link you posted has been closed for violating this policy. I don't any moderator breaking the rules, but maybe that's just me... I noticed that this thread was yours. I know it's closed, but in the future you shouldn't post that specific of items (I think, correct me if I'm wrong anyone). I just stick on the safe side and refrain from any kind of trade talk whatsoever outside of the GE.
I understand your concern, and I agree that maybe some kind of warning or clarification should be posted to reduce the number of people who get in trouble/banned simply out of misunderstanding or unawareness.
Well, good luck!
Kayfookey is offline Female
Closed