Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Webkinz :)
Mamma's kinz is on a distinguished road

Question NEW Dictionary to Webkinz

Hello Kinz pals,
Has anyone noticed this yet?
I've had a problem lately... and others family members have as well, in naming our rooms after our new pets. It tells you: OPPS..... You have used a word that is not allowed.
BUT they were allowed in earlier times? BUT no longer?

Reason being... They've added a NEW Dictionary to Webkinz. So now a lot of the words that we were using are not allowed any longer, SO... Use caution in renaming your rooms. because...

We had a few new rooms named after our new pets, but wanted to move them into different rooms but when we tried to use their names on the new rooms it wasn't allowed. Then we couldn't put their names back on the original rooms.
I sure wish they would update this pretty fast because we went thought a list of at least 20 different way of describing each of these pets rooms, other then using their names. We couldn't even use the most basic words?
Another problem with this is... If you make up your own spelling of a name... now it can't use it because their Dictionary won't allow it. I really don't like this at all.

I'm for putting things back the way they were, but blocking the words they don't want us to use. What say you all?

mamma kinz

I wrote them about this and they sent me this reply:

Thanks for writing.

You have inquired about the naming of your room. We have recently updated our name filtering system to allow only names currently in our dictionary to be included as room names. We are aware that our dictionary has some restrictions and we are working on adding additional names and phrases in the near future.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered when trying to change your room name; however the new dictionary will help ensure the safety and security of Webkinz World for everyone.

Thank you,
Webkinz Customer Support

----------------- ----------------
Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
UMAlum is on a distinguished road

Default Re: NEW Dictionary to Webkinz

I want them to do all possible to keep everyone safe. With that said...I agree. It is so frustrating. My girls have adopted a few webkinz here recently and we have had a really hard time finding room names. I do hope they fix it soon.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
kdbpanda is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I was wondering what was going on. It is annoying but I guess I can see why the do it. But some names are not bad and should be allowed.

Fix it soon please!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
♥ 2 c ww homes
Gift Guru
Trouble has a reputation beyond reputeTrouble has a reputation beyond reputeTrouble has a reputation beyond reputeTrouble has a reputation beyond reputeTrouble has a reputation beyond reputeTrouble has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mamma kinz, the should block the words they don't want us to use. I think it would be a lot easier for Ganz to do it that way too, not as many words. I currently have 5 rooms that I can't name, there numbers. Very frustrating
Trouble is offline Female
Old 11-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Gift Guru
igloo71 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for posting this. That answers what we have all been wondering. But how disappointing that they have chosen this way to restrict the naming of rooms, of all things. Naming our rooms is pretty personal, pet names, whims etc. and how far do they have to censure this area?? Now even the simpliest unoffending word, if it's not in their "dictionary" is unacceptable? Come on.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
mdhillison is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry but this is a cop out. There are tons of available databases they can use to cross reference for names in a positive or negative instance. They have to have better databases already with what you can name pets.

I'm getting frustrated in general with overall naming issues - we tried to name a pet Hatchell and it wouldn't let us b/c it ended in those final four letters. I get why they don't want those four letters but there are ways to set the database with a wild card option that would see good uses versus bad.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Mamma's kinz is on a distinguished road

Question Re: NEW Dictionary to Webkinz

Giving this more thought...
I know I could be very wrong here but... It just seems that it would have been easier to block the bad words/names, doesn't it? Then to have to work with, what seems to be, a bit of a small list (to start with I hope) from them, even if they do plan to add on to it, (we found that you can’t even use the word LIBRARY for gosh sakes) AND …What about all of the creative spellers? How are they going to cover all of the webkinzer's and webkinznet's made up pet names? There is just no way, they can do that. I’m afraid, there's going to be a lot of disappointed players out their on that fact alone.
Also with this change, I don’t think that they realized that they have inadvertently taken away part of the personalizing charm of webkinz. If you think about it… Getting to name everything yourself… by either actual names or otherwise made up one’s, is a really great feature! This feature alone, is one of the things that makes the whole webkinz scene so attractive in the first place? At least for us…
My grand boys can ALL have the same things, but by personalizing their accounts they make it their own. In a small way this also helps them become more creative with their words. My grand boys came up with some really cool names for some of their rooms, it was fun. Now, this is going to put a real damper on it all.
Not only do you waste a lot of time just trying to find a word that will be acceptable, but it takes the fun out of naming the rooms too. One of the boys just got tired of trying to find a name that would work and gave up. So I had to sit down with him and try to work this out. That’s when I realized just how restricted it really was. ANYONE CAN TRY THIS, just go to a room and try renaming it. CAUTION pick a room you don't care about the name changing, because you may not be able to put it back. When your done, you may have a long list of names that aren’t welcomed in a short period of time. Unless you’re lucky.
I for one, sure hope they at least rethink it a bit more and consider these few things as well as any others that may arise out of this change. I know they have everyone best interest at heart, but this isn't going so well, and if their waiting to see how much it's liked or disliked. I'm sorry to say, I vote to put it back and block the bad names/words instead or come up with a more user friendly safety filter… please?
Safety 1st of course... Always!
But I do have stupid question here... ah where does naming a room cause a safety problem, other then, the obvious uses of bad words, which some users may try to use? Because I’m just not sure what they mean, by that being a safety issue. I thought no one else could see the naming of your rooms, only yourself, the owner of the account? Right?
OR is it this way…
I've never invited a guest over; does the guest SEE the names of your rooms when they come to visit? Is that where there could be a problem??? I just don’t know… If that’s the case, I can most certainly understand why the restrictions.

But I'm still hoping for a better solution.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
alyak23 is an unknown quantity at this point

This explains why they have been off line longer than usual! I logged back in trying to see what they changed and you have now answered it for me! Thanks for solving that mystery for me, before I had to learn the hard way!!! Hmmm, isn't this site made for a young demographic, you would think that they would just omit the bad words instead of limiting everything. I know my neice and nephew's pets have all sorts of unique names that will probably never be in their dictionary. That's a bummer. Hopefully they'll figure out a better compromise.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Lil Kinz
mistoffolees is an unknown quantity at this point

View Post Originally Posted by UMAlum
I want them to do all possible to keep everyone safe. With that said...I agree. It is so frustrating. My girls have adopted a few webkinz here recently and we have had a really hard time finding room names. I do hope they fix it soon.
I'm trying to figure out how that keeps anyone safe. My daughter names her Google 'Googy' and wants to name the room 'Googy's Room'. How does preventing that keep anyone safe?

And even if she was using some nasty name for her room, no one else can see it but her, so how does this policy keep anyone safe?

My daughter as 50 registered Webkinz and 4 or 5 more that she hasn't registered - because of the room naming problem. With that many Webkinz, the only way to keep the rooms straight is to name them after the pet. Webkinz will no longer allow that. Until they fix this policy, she's not buying any more - since she can't even register the ones she has.

Please write to Webkinz support and ask them to drop this ridiculous policy.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #10

Very, very, very good point. I had to name my Seal's room "THE SEAL ROOM" ad my Penguin's room "PENGUIN ROOM".