Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!

Default The Month of December-The Holidays?

Hello. I'm Pugs. I've seen many threads about Christmas on the Open Mike. I counted 4 on the first page alone, and I bet there are more.

But not everyone celebrates Christmas, right? I've seen one thread about the 'other' holidays (Hanukkah, Kwanza)- and it was made by me.

So my suggestion is that we should have one thread- maybe two- about the winter holidays, made by a mod or admin. You know the RP Chat Thread? How about the 'Holiday Chat Thread' for only the month of December (and New Year) with all of the holidays so we can talk about how we celebrate our holiday, and other things.

The second thread might be a countdown thread, or you can combine it with the 1st thread. For example:

______ days until Christmas.

______ days until Hanukkah.

______ days until Kwanza.

______ days until 2009.

Another option is so have one thread for each holiday, so things are easier to find (thanks to Melissa30067's post). Like how in the 'Join the Club' section, there are 5 threads for Twilight.

I celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah, and think it isn't fair for the Jewish children (and adults) and people who celebrate Kwanza.

So post your opinions! Thanks for reading!

-Pugs

Last edited by PugsRock; 12-16-2008 at 04:10 PM..
PugsRock is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
hedgehogfairy
hedgehogfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: The Month of December-The Holidays?

Sounds good as long as it doesn't involve the Christmas-themed threads being shut down.
hedgehogfairy is offline Female
Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #3

PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!PugsRock is the cats pajamas!

They probably wouldn't be shut down this year (that wouldn't be very fair), but next year one thread could be better than lots about one holiday.

Thanks for posting!

-Pugs
Old 12-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
icked Awesome

Melissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant future

I think each holiday is important in its own way. Everyone should have the right to start a thread or post on a thread about any holiday they choose to celebrate.

A holiday chat thread could be really nice, and I really like how you incorporate a lot of peoples beliefs in there (you would have to include other things such as pagan holidays like Winter Solstice/Yule etc to be 100% politically correct), but it could become huge and hard to find your way through if you pick up midways through it (ever tried to pick up on the DCT in the middle and you have no idea what everyone is talking about? but then you dont have time to go back and read all the previous posts to see?)

I like the idea though, maybe just need to have a holiday section instead of 1 giant thread?
Melissa30067 is offline Female
Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #5

That's a good point. I think under 'It's a Social Thing' you can talk about the holidays... but would that be considered as maybe a club?

-Pugs
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
icked Awesome

Melissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant future

View Post Originally Posted by PugsRock
That's a good point. I think under 'It's a Social Thing' you can talk about the holidays... but would that be considered as maybe a club?

-Pugs
oooh see that would be a good idea, start a Holidays fan club or something. great thinkin'
Melissa30067 is offline Female
Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
World's largest

Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!

I agree, but people are free to start whatever threads they want. If someone who celebrates Chanukah wants a thread, go for it, same for Kwanzaa, or any other celebrations. I wouldn't feel right starting a thread about a celebration that I am not familiar with. But I'm all for equity
Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Gifted

honeyluv55 is a forum hero
honeyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum hero

Good idea, in class we're learning to appreciate the holidays and not misjudge other religions/people/etc. My group is doing Hanukkah. It's pretty interesting!
honeyluv55 is offline Female
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #9

bromsisa is a name known to allbromsisa is a name known to allbromsisa is a name known to all

This is a basic breakdown of the top ten religions:

Statistics of the world's religions are only very rough approximations. Aside from Christianity, few religions, if any, attempt to keep statistical records; and even Protestants and Catholics employ different methods of counting members.

ReligionMembersPercentageChristianity 2.1 billion33.0%Islam 1.5 billion21Hinduism 900 million14Buddhism 376 million6Sikhism 23 million0.36Judaism 14 million0.22%Baha'ism 7 million0.1Confucianism 6.3 million0.1Jainism 4.2 million0.1Shintoism 4 million0.0NOTES: As of 2005. This list includes only organized religions and excludes more loosely defined groups such as Chinese or African traditional religions.
Source: Encyclopaedia Britannica, www.adherents.com.

I am posting this becase I fully understand what where you are coming and I fully see why you feel that it seems unfair/(maybe even a little predjudice?) And the only reason so many more threads end up being about Christian holidays (usually overshadowing others) is not so much about excluding/ignoring other religions. It is sheer numbers/volume of people that practice Christianity. As you can see in the chart I included. And as with anything in life, not just religion, a topic or event with the larger numbers will be seen and heard more often.

And I am all for people expressing excitement for whatever impending holiday in any religion.
And everyone should feel comfortable and safe about expressing the manner in which they celebrate.

I think your idea is great and would work well as long as it was a rule that no one could go into another religious thread a be rude or insulting.

No person's religious choice is right or wrong. Unfortunately though there are plenty of people that do feel the need to cut down other peoples religous views and etc. So there would have to be very close monitering of these threads.
bromsisa is offline Female
Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
World's largest

Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!

I agree with bromsisa, I thnk that there would have to be a LOT of monitoring, but ultimately worthwhile
Closed