Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #61
aweicker
Gift Guru

Bonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud of

Default Re: Making "My posts" section private... for privacy reasons.

View Post Originally Posted by abbythegrey
Yes, I think this would be a great idea. Although, everyone should be following the rules and not posting any information about themselves, but sometimes things slip or we don't even realize we're realising harmful information. I believe everyone should have a right to keep their posts private.

Regarding the Gift Exchange, users could have the option of only showing their GE posts to other Gifted member.

I always flag posts that reveal personal information, and also send a PM so they know why their post has been flagged, and also so their aware of the saftey issue their doing to themselves.

Although, disabling the viewing of user posts may not stop a techy savy man, it will be an obstacle in finding your information, and could just move on to another user that doesn't have their posts disabled.

It will also stop a non-tech savy man who wouldn't think to use google or WI search. Might as well stop one than none.

---------- abbythegrey added 8 Minutes and 24 Seconds later ----------

Another thing I wanted to point out, was that posting what time it as your house, can even pose a threat. For example:

"I caught a leaf on WW around 8:49 EST, and I got a place mat! Yay! It was my first one!"

By posting 8:49 EST, we know that you live on the eastern side of the U.S. So now instead of having to choose from any where in the world, we've got it narrowed down to the United States of America on the east coast.
I wasn't aware when I posted previously (the quoted post on page 1), but WI actually DOES allow states to be posted.

Personally, I don't think it's safe for anyone under 18 to do so, and if my little sisters were to use WI, I wouldn't allow them to share that information. I don't think many parents would want their young children to share their state of residency either - but the rules do permit it, so I no longer flag those posts.
Bonsai is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #62
2009 Will Be
Gifted

abbythegrey has a spectacular aura about

View Post Originally Posted by Bonsai
I wasn't aware when I posted previously (the quoted post on page 1), but WI actually DOES allow states to be posted.

Personally, I don't think it's safe for anyone under 18 to do so, and if my little sisters were to use WI, I wouldn't allow them to share that information. I don't think many parents would want their young children to share their state of residency either - but the rules do permit it, so I no longer flag those posts.
Yay, haha, I learned about that awhile ago. I was flagged quite a few posts that had their state included, and a mod PMed and told me it wasn't against the rules.

I just recently saw a thread in which everyone posted their state, but I refrained myself from doing anything. There was one post that included their city and state, so I flagged that.
abbythegrey is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #63
Webkinz :)

menacedog will become famous soon enough

That was a good thread. It pointed out alot of good reasons.
menacedog is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #64

Twilight <3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Thinking, and now that you say that...I agree majorly.
Twilight <3 is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #65
Hebrews 6:19
Gifted

i love summer knows the way
i love summer knows the wayi love summer knows the way

Default Re: Making "My posts" section private... a big step toward more safety

View Post Originally Posted by Bonsai
You don't need an address. You don't need a phone number. You don't even need a last name.

Heck, it took me less than 15 minutes to find one instance where, had someone been actively monitoring your posts, they could have known where you'd be at a specific date and time (think concerts) to be able to get there ahead of you. And they'd also have known your name, age, hair color, hair style, eye color, whether you wear earrings or glasses, etc. There would have been more than enough info for someone to know where to find you, and how to approach you so that no red flags would be raised in your mind. Scary stuff.

I think a whoooooole bunch of kids need a crash course in internet safety. Unfortunately, even when they're given very specific rules and guidelines to keep themselves safe, most don't listen.
yes. when it comes to personal info, I have slipped up so much, I'm suprised i'm not banned yet! but yeah, i think that the "My Posts" should either be done away all together, or limited to the last 50-100 posts, because most people on here only post and average of under 10 posts a day.

---------- i love summer added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by abbythegrey
Yes, I think this would be a great idea. Although, everyone should be following the rules and not posting any information about themselves, but sometimes things slip or we don't even realize we're realising harmful information. I believe everyone should have a right to keep their posts private.

Regarding the Gift Exchange, users could have the option of only showing their GE posts to other Gifted member.

I always flag posts that reveal personal information, and also send a PM so they know why their post has been flagged, and also so their aware of the saftey issue their doing to themselves.

Although, disabling the viewing of user posts may not stop a techy savy man, it will be an obstacle in finding your information, and could just move on to another user that doesn't have their posts disabled.

It will also stop a non-tech savy man who wouldn't think to use google or WI search. Might as well stop one than none.

---------- abbythegrey added 8 Minutes and 24 Seconds later ----------

Another thing I wanted to point out, was that posting what time it as your house, can even pose a threat. For example:

"I caught a leaf on WW around 8:49 EST, and I got a place mat! Yay! It was my first one!"

By posting 8:49 EST, we know that you live on the eastern side of the U.S. So now instead of having to choose from any where in the world, we've got it narrowed down to the United States of America on the east coast.
that time isn't just in the US. It could be Canada, or Mexico, or Panama, or even Brazil!

Last edited by i love summer; 09-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
i love summer is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #66
Gifted

Registhehseep will become famous soon enough

Good thinking....

But the only thing is, you can see the posts on that thread anyway.....
Old 09-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #67
Gift Guru

DKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Registhehseep
Good thinking....

But the only thing is, you can see the posts on that thread anyway.....
Yes, but only if you know exactly what threads they've been on. Additionally, you would have to look through the whole thread to find the posts. It is considerably harder than looking through the list of posts. :]
DKMagoo is offline Female
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #68
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Thanks to all for posting!

---------- -Lilypad added 1278 Minutes and 37 Seconds later ----------

Anyone else?

Last edited by -Lilypad; 09-30-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #69

webkinz9117 is on a distinguished road

I gave you rep! This is a very important topic. You have to be safe over the Internet so I wouldn't tell any personal info. Thank you very much!! (:
webkinz9117 is offline Female
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #70
Edward Cullen is a

xolyssax67 has a spectacular aura aboutxolyssax67 has a spectacular aura about

Wow so true!! You and Bonsai did a great job Rep point!
xolyssax67 is offline Female
Closed