Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #51
aweicker
Gift Guru

Bonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud of

Default Re: Making "My posts" section private... a big step toward more safety

View Post Originally Posted by webkinzlover494
Well, While I agree, The Only Way A Person Could FIND You Is If You Posted Your Address/Phone Number and State TOGETHER!

Now If You Posted Your Name, Age, State and Grade, Nobody Could Piece That Together To Track You Down, BECAUSE Chances Are, There are MANY People With The Same Name, Age, Grade and State As Yourself
You don't need an address. You don't need a phone number. You don't even need a last name.

Heck, it took me less than 15 minutes to find one instance where, had someone been actively monitoring your posts, they could have known where you'd be at a specific date and time (think concerts) to be able to get there ahead of you. And they'd also have known your name, age, hair color, hair style, eye color, whether you wear earrings or glasses, etc. There would have been more than enough info for someone to know where to find you, and how to approach you so that no red flags would be raised in your mind. Scary stuff.

I think a whoooooole bunch of kids need a crash course in internet safety. Unfortunately, even when they're given very specific rules and guidelines to keep themselves safe, most don't listen.
Bonsai is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #52
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Default Re: Making "My posts" section private... a big step toward more safety

Thanks to all who have posted!
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #53
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Default Re: Making "My posts" section private... for privacy reasons.

Anyone else?
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #54
Proud to be a
Gift Guru

gamegirl808 has a spectacular aura about

wow, that really makes a point. I hope nobody from WI is a "bad guy" and nobody is the victim of the bad guy

---------- gamegirl808 added 5 Minutes and 48 Seconds later ----------

and another thing; whats an IP address? (sorry)

Last edited by gamegirl808; 09-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
gamegirl808 is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #55
Gift Guru

DKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by gamegirl808
wow, that really makes a point. I hope nobody from WI is a "bad guy" and nobody is the victim of the bad guy

---------- gamegirl808 added 5 Minutes and 48 Seconds later ----------

and another thing; whats an IP address? (sorry)
In a way, it's like a computer's fingerprint. Each computer has a different IP address, that can be used to track the computer.
DKMagoo is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #56
Webkinz :)

Emmah432 is on a distinguished road

I actually learned that in computer ed. I think that would be a nice feature, while it could not because theres so many threads, someone could not be able to find what they need.

---------- Emmah432 added 0 Minutes and 20 Seconds later ----------

Also, to prevent that try not to give personal information

Last edited by Emmah432; 09-28-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Emmah432 is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #57

beachrox will become famous soon enough

Well said. I don't know if it is possible to get rid of that feature. If it is possible to get the feature you were talking about, I'm sure it would cost some money... IF it is possible. I have seen a few personal information slip now and then, but what's why we flag the post. So, Moderators edit it before more members see it. So you won't see it when veiwing other's posts. I personally do that because I saw they posted on a thread that caught my eye, but I forget the thread.
I will flag this thread to make sure a Staff member sees it
beachrox is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #58
Gift Guru

DKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonder

The reason I think this is an extremely important topic, is because the smallest things can give so much away. Just by saying what you learned in science the other day, what book your reading and your soccer team's record, can give away so much. Things that wouldn't nescessarily be flagged by memebers can still prove to be harmful if the peices are put together. Hair color, hobbies, all things that I've seen posted on multiple threads. When just seeing them every once in a blue moon, they don't give away much. But when you put together 500 of these sorts of posts, you can find out a lot more about someone than they may have intended when they posted.
DKMagoo is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #59

beachrox will become famous soon enough

Yes, DKM is right. I have also seen this around the forum:
Although ages aren't posted, you have that option in the User CP.
Example: Month: Day: Year:
The year WILL determine your age. Even if you put this; Location: Africa.
These are just examples of what I've seen
beachrox is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #60
2009 Will Be
Gifted

abbythegrey has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I think this would be a great idea. Although, everyone should be following the rules and not posting any information about themselves, but sometimes things slip or we don't even realize we're realising harmful information. I believe everyone should have a right to keep their posts private.

Regarding the Gift Exchange, users could have the option of only showing their GE posts to other Gifted member.

I always flag posts that reveal personal information, and also send a PM so they know why their post has been flagged, and also so their aware of the saftey issue their doing to themselves.

Although, disabling the viewing of user posts may not stop a techy savy man, it will be an obstacle in finding your information, and could just move on to another user that doesn't have their posts disabled.

It will also stop a non-tech savy man who wouldn't think to use google or WI search. Might as well stop one than none.

---------- abbythegrey added 8 Minutes and 24 Seconds later ----------

Another thing I wanted to point out, was that posting what time it as your house, can even pose a threat. For example:

"I caught a leaf on WW around 8:49 EST, and I got a place mat! Yay! It was my first one!"

By posting 8:49 EST, we know that you live on the eastern side of the U.S. So now instead of having to choose from any where in the world, we've got it narrowed down to the United States of America on the east coast.

Last edited by abbythegrey; 09-28-2008 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
abbythegrey is offline Female
Closed