Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #41
e love
Gift Trainee

Laydee is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Making "My posts" section private... a big step toward more safety

I know exactly how you are thinking. Thanks for posting this. It means a lot.
Laydee is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #42
|_ () \/ 3
Gift Guru

lexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guide

Good idea, and when Bonsai puts it like that WOW! Everyone should be alot carefuller.

I reported a post that was a pooll "Do you go to _ Middle School? I do!" lol I was like That is not safe. Then I flagged it.
lexi18216 is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #43
Shablooming
Wiki SysOp

monkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all things
monkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all thingsmonkeecj is a champion of all things

I'll have to disagree with this.

First off, the benefits of the "My Posts" section can really come in handy at times, as previously mentioned. I find them really important if you want to see where someone is posting, etc...

The second point is that WI already has to be one of the safest forums on the internet with so many people always watching out for safety topics like this. The numerous moderators viewing posts and the ability to flag posts with personal information make posts with exposing words scarce as it is.

And even if you do have posts with personal information in them, "My Posts" is not the only way to find them. In any forum section you have the ability to search for posts by a particular user. Since you can find their posts anyway in this fashion, it's just like having their "My Posts" section there. So unless you delete the posts altogether, you can still find them one way or another.

I don't really think this would be necessary for the privacy of members, but it's good that you brought it up.
monkeecj is offline Male
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #44
Gift Guru

DKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonder

I definitely agree that this is an issue and have heard of many real scenarios like this, of seemingly innocent information leading to much more knowledge than intended.

While the find posts feature can be dangerous, as many have stated, it is also very useful.
I think an easy way to solve this would be to decrease the number of posts that we can view. Perhaps the last 50, or 100 would do the trick. Afterall, most people don't make that many posts in a day and trade information and helpful posts could still be found, without giving away too many.

But, that's just my two-cents worth
DKMagoo is offline Female
Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #45
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

Thanks to all who have replied!
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #46
don't get on webkinz
Webkinz :)

webkinzlover494 is on a distinguished road

View Post Originally Posted by King Hoopla
You have a good point there! Hopefully, most members here will be able to follow the rules and not post personal info. Sadly though, I just saw someone post their grade on another thread. I can only hope that some sort of predator doesn't spot that.
Well, While I agree, The Only Way A Person Could FIND You Is If You Posted Your Address/Phone Number and State TOGETHER!

Now If You Posted Your Name, Age, State and Grade, Nobody Could Piece That Together To Track You Down, BECAUSE Chances Are, There are MANY People With The Same Name, Age, Grade and State As Yourself
webkinzlover494 is offline Female
Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #47
Gift Guru

becky423 has disabled reputation

Oh wow.
I always wondered why people didn't think posting states was safe..
I have slipped a few times..=\ But I edit it quickly.
When I see someone say something about their age, I report it as quickly as possible.
It's hard to think people from WI could be..bad people.
As someone mentioned, I think if we lowered it to 100 posts, it would help a lot more.
Thanks for posting this!
becky423 is offline Female
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #48
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

I know becky, it is weird to think that a lot of the people on here who we are friends with could be bad. *shutters*
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #49
fallbullet4
Gifted

smurfette6496 has a spectacular aura about

That's such a great idea, Lilypad.

The only thing I like about the "My Posts" is when I try and give someone a rep, I don't have to go scrolling through looking for a thread made by that person. Maybe they can take away the "my posts", just not the "my threads"
smurfette6496 is offline Female
Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 AM   #50
Gift Guru

vanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talent

Good point
And wow, I didn't know on how a few "innocent" posts could lead to all of that. (Thanks for showing that post, too. I wasn't very aware of that until now )
vanvan20 is offline Female
Closed