Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
The hippie writer
Gift Guru

Ivie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socksIvie rocks our collective socks

Default Re: Be kind and patient, they ARE new to WI

This is really nice. When i see a thread that needs help, one that there isn't a million of, I usually post a detailed explanation. Some members seem to not care, or they post the answer and "DUH" it can be very hurtful. Thanks for this thread!
Ivie is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #32
Vegan +
Gift Guru

Livi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond reputeLivi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you VERY much for posting this. I agree 100%. New members should be happily welcomed, not treated horribly because they didn't join a year ago.
Livi is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #33
WI Welcomes Everyone

Gingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomeness
Gingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomenessGingerly blows bubbles of awesomeness

Donation Level 3 

View Post Originally Posted by Dixiecup
I just wanted to post this because I am seeing something that I find rather disturbing. I see a lot of 'older' or 'senior' members being rather brusque and sometimes even mean with Newcomers.
'In your face' attitudes chases them away or makes them shy to contribute and I really would hate to see a lost opportunity. Who knows; that person you barked at for using Moderator Blue ink for their first post might actually have the solution to an unsolved recipe. OR what if that person has technical knowledge and they can help people to gain access to a 'fussy' account? What about losing a kind, compassionate contributor (Say; like Gingerly when she first began). Wouldn't it be awful to have never known her because someone was unecessarily blunt or impatient?
Please, remember they are new and are not familiar with the Forum as we are. Some of the questions they have can't be answered through the FAQ and the RULES under the big daisy, or any other way but through hands on experience. That is what we are HERE for, to guide people through the process and be open to newcomers. Please remember the Golden Rule, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'
....I'm so glad you brought this up, Dixie, as I've seen it happen quite often.
We need to remember that people can't *see* if we're smiling, nor can they
*hear* the tone of our voice.....they don't know if we're being bossy, mean or
helpful. Justin gave us wonderful Smiley Icons to use.....so let's add them to
our posts.......so there's no mistaking, what we're trying to say.
Gingerly is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #34
ChihuahuaGrl16
Banned
ChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond reputeChihuahuaGrl16 has a reputation beyond repute

THANK YOU! for saying this....it's about time,really. we were once all new here an had no idea what "thread" meant, or the text colors, etc...Rep points for you!
ChihuahuaGrl16 is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #35
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

What a fabulous reminder and message here, Dixie.

One way to try to step in their shoes, if you don't quite remember what it feels like being new, it to think of the newest feature or change on WI. Lets say it's about the falling leaves on wednesday. All of the sudden, something new comes, and the leaves are falling, and you get messages to PM people, and say one thing or another...

and you become confused! You didn't hear about this, and you don't know what your doing, and your now overwhelmed and frustrated.

Now, you feel that way about one thing on here, but, when your new to the site, everything you come across is unfamiliar, and gives you this same feeling.

I think it's always extremely important to be nice to new members. Like your example, dixie, about not meeting someone, is a great one. Another reason is that for a lot of the younger newbies, it could be their first time on a message board. This was my first board, and a lot of the nice and friendly people on here shaped me into the person I am today online, and a little bit offline, as well. They lead by example...

but if my first message board was a cold and mean community, I would have picked up their traits, and I would have been a heck of a lot different.

Last edited by -Lilypad; 10-09-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: rewording for clarification
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #36
Webkinz :)

jazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonderjazzykinz wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by momluvswebkinz2
Thanks for this post. I am new here as of last week and I feel some of my questions are stupid but how else am I going to learn but from all the members who have been here awhile. I'm learning the abbr. for phrases and doing my best at posting in right area. It is all still confusing to me, forum, threads and my typing isn't all that great either, but I'm glad I found WI. It is so informational. So thanks for reminding others to just be nice.
Dear Momluvswebkinz2,
I have been here for a couple of months and I still ask questions. Don't ever think that some of your questions are stupid. A teacher once told me that the only stupid question is the one you DIDN'T ask. LOL! So........ all questions have a purpose. I know that sometimes I ask a question, that to me seems stupid, but after ??? looking around in here for a while and not finding what I need to know, I just ask. I'm sure that someone has the answer and are more than willing to help. Most people on this site are nice, but just like the rest of the world, there may be some "creep". I figure that what I might ask, might help a new member.

Jazzykinz :rdr:
jazzykinz is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #37
Merry Christmas!
Gift Trainee

lkemper has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I have noticed this too. Thank you so much for reminding everyone. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!
lkemper is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #38
My Kids are
Gifted

lollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledge

Donation Award 

I would just like to say that I have not come across any negative responses or mean spirited people since joining . Iam very grateful and thankful for the kindness and help that has been given to me. With that said, thank you though for thinking about us new people. It's greatly appreciated. ~ lollie
lollie is offline Female
Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #39

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

Thank you so much for posting this, I have seen it happen a few times as well.
What we all need to remember is if we remind them and show them the right way, with a *smile*, they are more likely to remember it. They'll pass on that smile and that information, and we'll create a very great circle of kindness .

You'll find a small smile and kind gesture will go a very loooooong way.
Correcting someone in a friendly and polite matter will be so much positive for them... instead of posting "hey! this should be in the open mic..." - post something like -

"Hi there! Welcome to WI, because you are new I thought you would like to know; we have a special place for non webkinz related items - you can find it here: http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/open-mike-f164.html - if you have any more questions, please let me know!"

Now, which one would you like to hear?

A happy heart takes on information and receives it & returns it with a smile.
MissGnomie is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #40
Webkinz :)

KatLover is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new and nobody has been mean to me. If anyone does do anything disrespectful or rude to me I will post it here. This is a very important thread, and I think this because when people say the things you mentioned, they do not even realize that they are not being nice. This is horrible, and if they are doing it on Webkinz Insider, it would be even worse for them to do it in real life.
KatLover is offline Female
Closed