Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!


Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
♥♥
Gifted
 
runlikethewind's Avatar
runlikethewind is an unparalleled talent
runlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talent

Wink JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

ok, I know that this one little thing is kinda unimportant when it comes to all the other things WI has to do, but this is what I noticed,
**************************************
**************************************
*************************************
*************************************

Ok, so here's the deal, I noticed that, u aren't allowed to say 'P.OOP' On WI, BUT your allowed to say 'CRAP' on WI. they mean the same thing and i think that crap is more tackier then P.OOP. i know this is a worthless little bity suggestion that people r gonna look at and say "what a dumb thread" well, this is how i look at it. Webkinz r for young kids right (and older, proud to be a older webbie owner myself) well, this is WEBKINZinsider, and do u want ur little kids saying a BYword like 'CRAP' in real life? no, u wouldn't. i just think this needs to be out of the WI dictinary.


~Runlikethewind
runlikethewind is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Weeeee! I'm a
Gift Trainee
 
cowattack3's Avatar
cowattack3 is a glorious beacon of lightcowattack3 is a glorious beacon of lightcowattack3 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

True. Good idea runlikethewind.

However, that really only comes into play in the DCT, and that's mostly older kids (lyke me...)
cowattack3 is offline Female
Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Gift Guru
 
smvmonkey's Avatar
smvmonkey knows the way
smvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the way

Donation Award 
Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

Hm, I'm not sure why they wouldn't block that word. They should censor it, because I know my parents don't like me saying that word very much LOL
smvmonkey is offline Female
Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
rleong
 
Justin's Avatar
Justin has disabled reputation

Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

View Post Originally Posted by smvmonkey
Hm, I'm not sure why they wouldn't block that word. They should censor it, because I know my parents don't like me saying that word very much LOL
There's a specific reason... That word is used a great deal more than **** is.. And in ways that it could be taken for much worse with people who don't know it is censored... We used to have it censored, but it did more harm than good. I'll show you why.

Holy crap
or
Holy ****

Unfortunately, the 4-letter word looks MUCH worse when starred out!
Justin is offline Male
Old 11-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Give a
Gift Guru
 
kinzdreamer's Avatar
kinzdreamer has disabled reputation

Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

crap isn't really such a bad word, it just gets the meaning across
it's like "Shoot!" or "Gosh" or things you say when you get a papercut
the p one just sounds gross though
kinzdreamer is offline Female
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Yikes! I have 9
Webkinz :)
 
misshoneyham's Avatar
misshoneyham will become famous soon enough

Default

Run like the wind, you are right. I also saw somebody who named their pink pony BRAT. I guess they thought it was funny, but I disapprove of calling your pet a brat.
misshoneyham is offline Female
Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Webkinz :)
 
Tallbear's Avatar
Tallbear is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

My opinion is that 'crap' is vulgar and should definitely be censored. It is a word not allowed in my home, especially by the children. The word '****' or even 'poopey' doesn't, again in my opinion, take on a vulgar or gutteral connotation.
Tallbear is offline
Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Gift Guru
 
MsHoliday's Avatar
MsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicness
MsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicnessMsHoliday is epic beyond epicness

WI Subscriber
Donation Award 
Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

I have always taught my children if you can't think of a better word than an offensive one; there is always the dictionary. Maybe, more people should pick it up!! Language is one of the things that makes this world diverse.
MsHoliday is offline Female
Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Gift Trainee
 
Arbee's Avatar
Arbee is a glorious beacon of lightArbee is a glorious beacon of lightArbee is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

View Post Originally Posted by Justin
There's a specific reason... That word is used a great deal more than **** is.. And in ways that it could be taken for much worse with people who don't know it is censored... We used to have it censored, but it did more harm than good. I'll show you why.

Holy crap
or
Holy ****

Unfortunately, the 4-letter word looks MUCH worse when starred out!
Justin, I so much agree with that!

That is exactly what bothers me about the censorship dictionary for the Comments section of the WI Front Page. It not only takes out "bad" words but also fragments of words. When trying to decode a comment riddled with asterisks, the reader is forced to mentally fill in the missing letters. Unfortunately (and embarrassingly) because of the way the censorship is programmed, those letters always spell out "bad" words. The reader is assaulted by a barrage of insults inside what would otherwise have been neutral words.

I encountered this when writing a comment about Nefer***i's Robe. Or reading someone's suggestion to click the ****on at the top of the page. There are many more examples of this.

(It got me wondering what the censoring program would do if I mentioned the ***le of a book, or suggested that someone not subs***ute a fic***ious iden***ity on a pe***ion.)

This dictionary affects a lot of words, though maybe not the particular ones in the italicized example above; I went a little over the top to illustrate my point. One Comments section last week had about a dozen censored words and I finished reading that page feeling like I was cursed at. It should have been a neutral experience.

I understand that WI has to make a lot of decisions on how best to keep WI a safe and happy place, and I like how WI is run. But since the subject of "bad" words was brought up on this thread, I wanted to mention this so you can review if the new Comments section censoring is truly in our best interest.

Also, the new Comments format no longer allows a reader to flag an inappropriate comment -- whether for offensive words or content, begging, advertising, etc. Please consider bringing back the flagging feature.

Regarding asterisks: It does look bad when a word is all asterisks and the word you imagine can be worse than what the author meant. In that case it would be better to put a few letters with the asterisks (holy c**p or holy cr**). That way the readers who don't know the word won't learn it from here, and those who do know it won't be as offended.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and for looking out for all of us.
Arbee is offline Female
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Webkinz :)
 
tonksrules97's Avatar
tonksrules97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: JUST a SUGGESTION! MINOR odd thing that stuck out to me! I think this is a little weird.

View Post Originally Posted by Arbee
Justin, I so much agree with that!

That is exactly what bothers me about the censorship dictionary for the Comments section of the WI Front Page. It not only takes out "bad" words but also fragments of words. When trying to decode a comment riddled with asterisks, the reader is forced to mentally fill in the missing letters. Unfortunately (and embarrassingly) because of the way the censorship is programmed, those letters always spell out "bad" words. The reader is assaulted by a barrage of insults inside what would otherwise have been neutral words.

I encountered this when writing a comment about Nefer***i's Robe. Or reading someone's suggestion to click the ****on at the top of the page. There are many more examples of this.

(It got me wondering what the censoring program would do if I mentioned the ***le of a book, or suggested that someone not subs***ute a fic***ious iden***ity on a pe***ion.)

This dictionary affects a lot of words, though maybe not the particular ones in the italicized example above; I went a little over the top to illustrate my point. One Comments section last week had about a dozen censored words and I finished reading that page feeling like I was cursed at. It should have been a neutral experience.

I understand that WI has to make a lot of decisions on how best to keep WI a safe and happy place, and I like how WI is run. But since the subject of "bad" words was brought up on this thread, I wanted to mention this so you can review if the new Comments section censoring is truly in our best interest.

Also, the new Comments format no longer allows a reader to flag an inappropriate comment -- whether for offensive words or content, begging, advertising, etc. Please consider bringing back the flagging feature.

Regarding asterisks: It does look bad when a word is all asterisks and the word you imagine can be worse than what the author meant. In that case it would be better to put a few letters with the asterisks (holy c**p or holy cr**). That way the readers who don't know the word won't learn it from here, and those who do know it won't be as offended.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and for looking out for all of us.
Very true, especially the last paragraph. I can see you thought a lot about this. That's a smart idea.

Last edited by tonksrules97; 11-14-2008 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: i spelled a word wrong haha
tonksrules97 is offline Female
Closed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Kopi Enterprises, LLC
WebkinzInsider.Com is not an official site of, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Ganz, Inc, Webkinz, Lil'Kinz, or Kinzville Newz and all character names, logos, and images are trademarks owned by Ganz, Inc.
no new posts