Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #51
jurneez
Webkinz :)

Carriejoseph is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: This just doesn't make sense to me. I think Rep Boxes should be taken away.

This was just a question, I hope no one takes it personally. I am new here and trying to get the lingo... Thanx to all for your answers even though I still don't understand exactly, and I will continue to read on & try to be as helpful one day as you all have been to me. Thanx again.. Carrie
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #52
Air Force Medic
Gift Guru

luvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonderluvabug1 wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 
Default Re: This just doesn't make sense to me. I think Rep Boxes should be taken away.

View Post Originally Posted by Gingerly
........ You may be mistaking the amount of Rep Boxes a person has, with
how popular they are....but this isn't true. Take a look under their Avie, at the
date they joined WebkinzInsider. I think you'll find the member has been here a
long time. Those boxes are not accumulated *over-night*......it takes many
months and lots of time spent online here.
.....It's so simple, really. A Reputation Point equals a *written* thank you.
Someone took a minute of their time to write a little comment of thanks........
Thankyous for any, or all of these reasons......
....for being kind.
....for being supportive.
....for being cheerful and welcoming.
....for being helpful.

For the person receiving a Reputation Point....it's just like a *warm fuzzy*....making
you feel good inside.
.....Take away Reputation Boxes? Why would you take away *warm fuzzies?*
You have a very good point!!! I love when other members give me reps and I return the favor for being kind! It is just like a thank you I will give them for birthdays as a little "gift",a cheer up gift,get well soon,etc...
luvabug1 is offline Male
Old 09-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #53
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by ajoysmom
ok im going to attempt to give you rep for being so honest. i didnt know either and well was afraid to admit that. but if i think about that THIS is the place to admit what you know and dont know.

anyway to answer the question of the thread i dont think its about popularity, i WAS using my daughters account (realized i use WI more than her and made my own account lol) but i guess i never really knew what rep was or how to give it. i will be honest the FIRST rep i gave (including her account) was tonight to someone asking why people get mad at them for trying to help them out by (nicely) letting them know they broke a rule. to make a long story short someone PMed me letting me know it was against the rules to post your age then PMed me saying sorry because over 18 can post age. if i had known what rep was i would have given it to them for helping.
That thread was mine

I think that Rep Boxes are OK. Take our friend, -Lilypad, for example. She makes good, quality posts. Every post I have seen by her has been helpful. People give her rep points. It makes me proud to see my two green bars, it just makes me feel like I have helped someone. At least ONE person.

On the other hand, they are a little discouraging, because some members don't do much and still ahve a million little boxes, whiile newer users with waay under 1,000 posts are more helpful. Like that one users' post: Quality over Quantity.

Everything ties together.
icecube730 is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #54
Gift Guru

Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond repute

quite honestly, i don't even look at them most the time.
i mean, it can be helpful, and i like having them around.
just don't turn them INTO a popularity contest, you know?
Lindsay is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #55
Gift Guru

Skydreamer is a name known to allSkydreamer is a name known to allSkydreamer is a name known to all

rep boxes arent popularity. they are to show how helpful a member is. i love them, they should stay. some members abuse them, but thats a different problem. x[
Skydreamer is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #56
Gift Guru

Lindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond reputeLindsay has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by Gingerly
........ You may be mistaking the amount of Rep Boxes a person has, with
how popular they are....but this isn't true. Take a look under their Avie, at the
date they joined WebkinzInsider. I think you'll find the member has been here a
long time. Those boxes are not accumulated *over-night*......it takes many
months and lots of time spent online here.
.....It's so simple, really. A Reputation Point equals a *written* thank you.
Someone took a minute of their time to write a little comment of thanks........
Thankyous for any, or all of these reasons......
....for being kind.
....for being supportive.
....for being cheerful and welcoming.
....for being helpful.

For the person receiving a Reputation Point....it's just like a *warm fuzzy*....making
you feel good inside.
.....Take away Reputation Boxes? Why would you take away *warm fuzzies?*
exactly, THIS is what i meant to say.
[: thanks.
Lindsay is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #57
Gift Guru

DKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonderDKMagoo wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by icecube730
I think that Rep Boxes are OK. Take our friend, -Lilypad, for example. She makes good, quality posts. Every post I have seen by her has been helpful. People give her rep points. It makes me proud to see my two green bars, it just makes me feel like I have helped someone. At least ONE person.

On the other hand, they are a little discouraging, because some members don't do much and still ahve a million little boxes, whiile newer users with waay under 1,000 posts are more helpful. Like that one users' post: Quality over Quantity.

Everything ties together.
View Post Originally Posted by Lindsay
quite honestly, i don't even look at them most the time.
i mean, it can be helpful, and i like having them around.
just don't turn them INTO a popularity contest, you know?
I agree 100%.
Things such as the boxes and reps and post counts and stars could easily be turned into a popularity contest if you start abusing them and giving them more weight than the quality of the post themselves. However, for as long as the members of this site strive to make sure they are used and given for the right reasons and in the ways that were intended, then I think we can avoid turning them into a "popularity contest".
I know that for as long as I've been a member - during the times when there were, and weren't, rep boxes - my favorite part was seeing the messages I would recieve was my favorite part. Even when there weren't boxes to represent the ammount of rep, I loved giving it out to people who helped (and I still do ). They're an easy way to brighten anyone's day and to let them know that they're posts are appreciated and make a good contribution.
As Gingerly said, there's no reason to take that uplifting aspect away, as long as we continue to use them for the right reasons
DKMagoo is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #58
Cherrybubbles96 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope that everyone will get a rep box because every body should be able to help at some time.
Cherrybubbles96 is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #59
I'm finally a

gatorgirlchamps is a jewel in the roughgatorgirlchamps is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your opinions guys!
gatorgirlchamps is offline Female
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #60
Gift Guru

[xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting![xo] Pop-Tart is not just visiting!

I agree with the popularity contest part ...
... Does having 3 rep boxes make you a better person?

It is sorta annoying....
[xo] Pop-Tart is offline Female
Closed