Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Anti Twilight.
Webkinz :)

lizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonder

Default Re: Judging Stories By Their Titles.

View Post Originally Posted by cowattack3
Well, the other day I was on my story in the Creative Writing section, and it kind of bugged me that no one had come to read it. So, I was looking around at the Creative Writing, and I noticed that the views only had two. I changed the name of the title to "Simple Plan" (It used to be Second Greatest Depression) and I got a response a minute later. So!

Here's what I figured out; people are judging stories by their titles. You know that saying... "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? Well, that applies very very literally to this issue. I really make sure to read most of the stories there, especially because I know what it's like not to get any responses. Most writers are just looking for some encouragement, so I go and I say what I like about their story, and even give them a few tips. I just think that everyone should give every thread a chance.

Rep if I can give you any! I agree! This goes with any kind of thread,you can't say "Oh,it's going too be about ____" If you've only read the title. Great thread!
lizzyxwebkinz is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
♥♥
Gifted

runlikethewind is an unparalleled talent
runlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talentrunlikethewind is an unparalleled talent

View Post Originally Posted by lilhorselover
Exactly! I've posted many stories, and not many have gotten more than a page of replies

I looked around, and noticed the ones with the most views, and posts, were stories about school girls, the Jonas Brothers and ect. I don't want to write about any of those things, but I want my story to be popular.
I know what you mean, when I joined this site; I basically lived in the creative writing section. I had up to five stories in the making. None of which got finished by the way.

All of my stories are..Umm, not the most popular, but, I have a good two pages everyday.

I agree with you to an extent cowattack. See, my story; The runaway

Well thats a pretty boring title. I don't really know why I have so many readers honestly. I would have loved to read your story. I don't really waste any time on the jonas brothers stories or webkinz stories, because I fully intend on becoming a professional writer one day. I am extremely passionate about what I do.

A title describes the title. Mine: The runaway
Not much going for that story, I mean you know whats going to happen in the end right?
I always think of a title that explains my story. One someone will look at and say either; 'thats not really my type of read' or ' hmm sounds good!'

So, let me think here. A story about...A banana.
WHich would you whether read?

The yellow fruit.

Or:

The adventures of captain naner!!

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Sorry just bein' silly. But yes, good thread
runlikethewind is offline Female
Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Banned
bob nws III is sweet stuff
bob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuff

I totally agree. While you have to acknowledge that it is the only thing someone has to go by when choosing a story, it really isn't fair. It is the writers duty to choose a title that will attract readers, but sometimes a really good story will be hidden under a bad title (hence "don't judge a book by its cover"). That is why we should always give every story a fair chance, and judge by content, not cover.
bob nws III is offline Male
Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
gangnam style

tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible
tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible

I agree with you so much. I have had a few stories with no posts... but I have seen some VERY good stories here, some with not the greatest titles.
tarsky781 is offline Female
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
no

badena2 defies all oddsbadena2 defies all odds
badena2 defies all odds

I agree! I usually don't go in that section, but when I do, I usually pick any story, about any topic.
badena2 is offline Female
Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
I be Shadow. >:D
Gifted

shadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clownshadowsown88 is cool as a bunny clown

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Shadow, I see your point, but sometimes it's worth it.
Yeah, that's true.
shadowsown88 is offline Female
Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
I'm a Shabby Chic

peggios knows the way
peggios knows the waypeggios knows the waypeggios knows the waypeggios knows the way

Well, the other day I was on my story in the Creative Writing section, and it kind of bugged me that no one had come to read it. So, I was looking around at the Creative Writing, and I noticed that the views only had two. I changed the name of the title to "Simple Plan" (It used to be Second Greatest Depression) and I got a response a minute later. So!

Here's what I figured out; people are judging stories by their titles. You know that saying... "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? Well, that applies very very literally to this issue. I really make sure to read most of the stories there, especially because I know what it's like not to get any responses. Most writers are just looking for some encouragement, so I go and I say what I like about their story, and even give them a few tips. I just think that everyone should give every thread a chance.

View Post Originally Posted by lilhorselover
Exactly! I've posted many stories, and not many have gotten more than a page of replies

I looked around, and noticed the ones with the most views, and posts, were stories about school girls, the Jonas Brothers and ect. I don't want to write about any of those things, but I want my story to be popular.
Very good and valid points! Rep to you for this thread! I do the same thing in the "Hi I'm Joe section" I go to the people with few posts and post. I always feel bad when someone puts something out there for us to see and no one pays attention to it! It is very kind and considerate of you to bring this to our attention! Thanks you!
peggios is offline Female
Old 05-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
mileycyrus10

i agree with youu
Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Weeeee! I'm a
Gift Trainee

cowattack3 is a glorious beacon of lightcowattack3 is a glorious beacon of lightcowattack3 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all! I really appreciate your support. It's really great to see how kind the WI community can be.
cowattack3 is offline Female
Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #20
Banned
Taylor Cullen is on a distinguished road

Yeah. Like Shadow said, you can't judge a book by it's cover-or it's title. It's true for books in the real world and stories posted on websites. All that matters is the stuff inside. If you don't like the story, that's fine, but at least give it a chance.
Taylor Cullen is offline Female
Closed

Tags
shadow eats tags - sc