Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Gifted

cheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to behold

Default Internet Safety

Hi everyone I just thought I'd give a reminder about interent safety.
A big thing about internet safety is that you need to know when it is ok to post something. Like here is exactly how you could get in trouble for posting stuff:

Some posts Hi my name is katie! No big deal right? Just a name a ton of people have.

Next they post a response to what state has the tiger snake?Ohio doesn't yet.
Still a lot of Katies in Ohio.

Then someone asks where do you get your webkinz? She posts "Gifts Ect." Hm only one store with that name in Ohio now we figure out what city she lives in.

Chatting with her friends on a sports thread she mentions she plays volleyball on a sports team call the Panthers. Now we know exactly where to find her because we know the city and where the games are at thanks to google.

As you can see all this seems harmless separately, but together you can see the results. So you need to be careful about the amount of stuff you post about yourself. Every site has a few people that aren't so nice.

Also remember the internet is the easiest place to lie. Now not everyone is liar, but we don't know who to trust. Now I'm talking about stuff like personal information being asked Like "So do you play any sports what is your team name?" just after they person in question saw the state you live in. Also remember people who don't mean good are usually very smart. Don't assume they're dumb. They're not. So remember to be careful about what you give out.

Last edited by cheekycatlover; 03-16-2008 at 01:55 PM..
cheekycatlover is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
MotherKinz

Default Re: Internet Safety

You're absolutely right. Thank you for posting this. Rep points.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Gifted

michaelabug is a jewel in the roughmichaelabug is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for reminding everyone. i'm going to rate this thread
Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
aurorac
Gifted

LLCampos is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an excellent reminder. Lots of people, adults included, put themselves in danger by answering the most innocent of questions posed by strangers on the internet. Even if you've "known" this person for years on the internet, if you've never met them in person (and you should NEVER arrange to do so), they are a STRANGER. Not everyone is out to hurt people, but the anonymity of the internet makes it that much easier. In the online world, you can say whatever you want, be whoever you want and no-one knows the difference.

My husband is a detective with our local police department. He has served on the "Computer Crimes Unit" for a few years now and I can't tell you the number of times he has had cases dealing with "identity theft", child abduction, or child endangerment because of information innocently (& willingly) given out on the internet, even in innocent enough sites such as this one. It is extremely easy to put together "2 & 2 and make 4" and know where you live, go to school, or work. Your safety is your first and foremost priority.....guard it as if your life depended on it, because sometimes, it does.

And I know there are many kide reading this and saying "this doesn't apply to me", or "yeah, right", or even "that will never happen to me".....welll all the kids it happens to thought exactly the same thing....no one is immune from it.....protect yourselves online.....it IS important!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Sparkleberry

So so true. Internet predators are all over the web, not to scare anyone. nd the internet isn't just "A little box that is on the computer." It's another world.

This icon is about internet safety, feel free to use it, guys!

http://www.iconator.com/icon.php?IconID=1507088

Old 03-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
beachgirl101
Gifted

catlover is on a distinguished road

that is so true!!!!! rep points!
catlover is offline Female
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Sparkleberry

Bump for this thread and rep to CheekyCatlover!!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Gifted

cheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to beholdcheekycatlover is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone!
cheekycatlover is offline Female
Old 03-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
please ask
Webkinz :)
dolly219 is on a distinguished road

thx for the tip i am going to rate this thread
dolly219 is offline Female
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Sparkleberry

I rated this thread 5 stars! Did anyone see the icon I gave the link too?
Closed