Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Don't mess with us
Webkinz :)

oon23 is a name known to alloon23 is a name known to alloon23 is a name known to all

Default Re: Idea for adding onto profile pages: ♫background music♫

Good idea.
Can I add on to that?

The mods and admins could make up a list so when you edit you profile you can choose one there. They also have this option on Webkinz Town.com
oon23 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #12

AnimalFreak320 will become famous soon enough

that's a good idea!
AnimalFreak320 is offline Female
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
WhiteTerrierFan

Also it would take a lot longer to load for some people, I go on another forum site that has this option, and the profiles load a lot slower, and it gets annoying because I am always listening to music already and it kind of interferes with it.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
ave
Banned
ave is a WI addict!
ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!

Donation Award 

I think this would be cool and a fun addition to the profiles. You could express your personality with favorite songs, ones that match your mood at the moment, etc.

However....there are a few problems. First off, I extremely dislike it when I'm simply searching a website and musics starts BLARING when I visit a profile or another page on that site. It can get annoying and, well, maybe if members had the option to disable music?

There are a few other problems with this suggestion as well, including the whole copyright jazz. Read the post below, that was made by Bonsai when someone else suggested this. I think it proves a good point.

Quote:
In reality though, it wouldn't even be possible. In order to put a song on the site, the artist would have to give WI permission to use it. Copyright/trademark laws and all that jazz. The reason that sites like MySpace are able to have profile songs is that the artists or their agents sign up, upload the music, and give MySpace permission for it to be added to profile pages. If a site just puts songs up without permission, the artist can sue them over it, and require that royalties be paid for every time that the song was paid. Yikes.

Nevermind the censoring issues... even if we could get the artists to release WI from having to pay royalties, a mod/admin would have to manually go through every single song and listen for swears or inappropriate content. And then there would be a ton of strain on the servers as well. WI is a free site, and they don't have anywhere near the same advertising revenue as a site like MySpace. How would they be able to keep the site free, and still afford server upkeep, bandwith, storage space, etc? It just wouldn't be possible.

You wouldn't have to speak with the actual artist, but rather a lawyer, agent, record label, etc. I'm not in the music business, so I don't know the details as to how royalties and leases are handled. But basically, in plain English - every time a song is created, SOMEONE owns the rights to it. For a JoBros song, their record label probably owns it. Any and every time that song is played or made available, someone has to pay a fee (called a "royalty") to the owner of the song.

When you purchase a cd, or an mp3 fom itunes, you're paying for the right to use the song for your own, private, non-commercial purposes. You can play it as many times as you want. BUT if you burn a copy of that CD, or upload that MP3 to the internet, you are breaking the law, and stealing the music. Same if you download a CD from bittorrent, or soulseek, etc. Every time you obtain a copy of a song, you have to pay for it. Otherwise, the record label or artist can come after you for royalties.

No website can just use a song whenever they want. They either have to pay the artist (or record label) EVERY SINGLE TIME the song is played, or they can to obtain a lease for the song (a set fee that would allow them to play it for a set period of time,) orrrr they can sometimes get permission from the artist (record label) to use it for free.
Since I have already given you rep a few minutes a go, kudoz for the good intentions.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
e all love our

fluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant futurefluffypup has a brilliant future

I think that it would be a very cool addtion, but would be very hard on the mods. and admids.. from what they are already doing and then plus checking profiles constantly would be to much work! and then if younger kids listen, they would be in aw! I am sorry, but maybe not the best idea. But thank you for being thoughtful!
♥peep
fluffypup is offline Female
Closed