Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #51
rambo33...save ur kc
Gift Trainee
yukita03jm is just really niceyukita03jm is just really nice

Default Re: i have seen this alot on wi...

do you mean abbreviating like writing stuff like brb and l8ter and stuff or using u for you
yes it can be annoying at times
second what the heck does liek or dat means?..haha sorry i can be stupid at times
i'm actually trying to write the word you instead of u and ur for your and stuff like that but i never right like bcuz or lyke
i don't use lol i use hahaha..haha

Last edited by yukita03jm; 09-27-2008 at 11:55 PM..
yukita03jm is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #52
Gift Guru

GoldenPuppy has disabled reputation

Yeah, it can be annoying, but some of them can be used here such as 'LOL' and others. Just be sure it's appropiate. Some of them aren't. You can't really get banned unless you use it most of the times like you post "U r s0 kool so wuts up". That I don't think is allowed if you do it a bunch of times. Just make sure they understand it, but not annoying. It's okay if you spelt it wrong but just not on purpuse (that one I spelt worng, I can't spell it ). Thanks for the reminder with a little add on!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #53
Webkinz :)

Pinky Sue has a spectacular aura about

Since I don't text I don't even know what most of that stuff means. I also skip those posts instead of trying to figure it out.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #54

karefrie is just really nicekarefrie is just really nice

Hi, I just thought I would share a cute story about instant messages and the abbreviations that people use. A couple of years ago my son was in university and I had never done instant messaging before. I was online with him and I mentioned something. He replied LOL and I was so happy because I thought he was sending "Lots of Love". Imagine my disappointment when he informed me that he was saying Laugh Out Loud. I guess we should be careful what abbreviations we use because people can make it say just about anything. LOL.
karefrie is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #55
You're dang straight

lala908 will become famous soon enough

the only ones I use are lol, omg, and sometimes if it is a long message I use those text words like crazy, and if you see me say cuz, it is not because I don't want to type the word, I say cuz in real life, I hardly ever say because unless it is Grammar or something, because the teacher will yell at me, so I just say cuz all of the time.
lala908 is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #56
ebkinz addict! :)

ColliesRAwesome is a glorious beacon of lightColliesRAwesome is a glorious beacon of light

I agree 100%! It is important to type real english. LOL an BRB are okay if you use them every so often but don't say, "hay its my bff bob! yo wat up?? omg, you like, totally..." I can't understand a word of it. It's annoying, and hard to read.
ColliesRAwesome is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #57
Adam Lambert luvs my

samik122395 will become famous soon enough

yeah sometimes i can be annoying but i text so i know what most of it means but it's OK if you don't i know it can be annoying when someone tries to tell you something and you don't know what it means it's OK just have fun!!!!
samik122395 is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #58
Gift Trainee

Arbee is a glorious beacon of lightArbee is a glorious beacon of lightArbee is a glorious beacon of light

I'm glad you brought up this topic for comment --

It is important to remember that the WI (WebkinzInsider) forum is structured as a "bulletin board" and not as a "chat room". If it were a chat room or IM (instant messaging) you would see everyone's text in a single, rapidly scrolling window; you would have to type quickly to keep up with the (sometimes multiple and overlapping) coversation(s). When you were done, the conversations would generally disappear and not be saved for other people's future reference.

When posting on WI you have the luxury of time. You can take as long as you want to type and even PREVIEW your message before you click "send". You have room to write a lot. You have features to enhance your text (font, alignment, attachments) and, therefor, the CLARITY of your message. Even after you post, you can go back into your message and EDIT/correct what you wrote. Those are features of a BULLETIN BOARD. Traditionally, on a BBS (Bulletin Board Service) the language, spelling, and grammar used are what you would use to write a newspaper article, ad, or editorial. Your messages (and reputation) are saved for others to read, share, and comment on.

"Text-speak" developed (continues to evolve) and is proper for chat rooms and instant messaging. In these cases time is of the essence, most participants are familiar with the abbreviations (and with each other), and posts are often strictly social and insignificant. Also, most cell phones lack a full QWERTY keyboard and have message length restrictions. In these cases, shortcuts are helpful and accepted.

Those shortcuts have no place on a public bulletin board forum. I realize that WI, among other things, fosters a social community. Many threads here are mainly social and, since text-speak has become a feature of many electronic social interactions, WI TOLERATES it on this forum. That is why their rules, while not prohibiting it, strongly discourage text-speak. (By the way, "text-speak" is the official name for those internet abbreviations.)

To me, it's like trying to figure out people's vanity license plates while on a long family car trip. I am amused by it when I see it. Often I can't understand it, so I, too, skip it. If people are skipping your posts, why waste the space (and time) to write them? WI also discourages "garbage" posts and does not allow rudeness; the former don't count toward gifted status, the latter will get you banned. (Anyone doubting this should re-read the forum rules.) I agree that it is rude to communicate in a language that is not understandable to most of your intended audience (like your friends speaking Spanish in front of you when you don't understand it, but everyone speaks English just fine). So even if you don't get banned for garbage you can get banned for rudeness if enough people are annoyed. (Just read the previous posts to see how text-speak annoys people.)

I would suggest being correct and informational on the informational threads, and limiting abbreviations to "fluff" threads (like what was on TV or what to wear to a Jonas Brothers concert). I participate in both kinds of threads on WI, but on the "fluff" threads I'm not annoyed if I don't understand it. As in all good writing, just remember who is your audience.

P.S. "Liek" and "teh" are common typing errors when your left hand gets in front of your right when typing "like" and "the". "Dat" can be a texting shortcut for "that" which saves one character space on a length-limited message, but it can also be LOLcat or other things.

P.P.S. I love LOLcatz! When see them as avatars or signatures here, they always make me smile. Writing a LOLcat phrase in a post can be cute or humorous (no rules against being fun or funny). A little of it can spice up a post. However, as in all "cooking", too much spice can ruin the dish. [For those unfamiliar with LOLcats, see lolcat.com or look up lolcat with a search engine like Google. It's sure to put a on your face.)

Arbee is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #59
Dude, where's my
Gift Guru

ksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledge

Yes, that is a bit annoying. Thanks for the reminder!
ksoccer28 is offline Female
Old 09-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #60
same thing
Gifted

HappySsey is the bees knees!HappySsey is the bees knees!HappySsey is the bees knees!HappySsey is the bees knees!HappySsey is the bees knees!HappySsey is the bees knees!HappySsey is the bees knees!

i only use LOL, OMG, and lmk(trading). i misspell often, not on purpose, because i don't want to look up the word, or i just aren't typing right. i try to be as accurate as possible, but on the DCT, i let myself go
HappySsey is offline Female
Closed